Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Carson City , Nevada
Water Accumulation in 2019 International Signature 30'

Water is accumulating on the floor of my 30 ft International Signature, immediately to the right as you enter the bathroom (a few tablespoons). I filled and drained the sink and didn't see any leaks. I removed everything under the sink and no water. The refrigerator/freezer is on the other side of the wall and I see a lot of moisture on the cooling fins in the refrigerator. The catch pan appears to be seated properly.

I have 2 AC units so I'm guessing a drain line may be nearby as well. It's hot and humid here in Daniels KY (SW of Louisville at an COE campground). The AC's have been running off on all day and they're clearly draining outside on either side of each wheel well.

Any thoughts on how to identify the source would be GREATLY appreciated as I'm as green as they get (2 months full time).

See pdf for photo.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2019 Signature Water Accumulation.pdf (214.0 KB, 35 views)
djp1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Feel behind toilet to see if flush valve is dry
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Carson City , Nevada
I checked behind the toilet and it's dry. The water only shows up 1-2 times a day and it doesn't coincide with using the sink or toilet.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Is that floor location under your bathroom vent? Could be the drain for the AC is leaking on the roof near that vent? Total guess here - don’t invest a lot of energy in that if it doesn’t make sense to you [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #5
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
If you are hooked up to City Water during the water event, you may want to disconnect and see if you have any water if you only use the pump. Is the city water inlet on the wall next to the bathroom sink? A faulty city water inlet could seep to the floor, where you then notice it.

Your water leak may not be where you see the water...you need to trace it back to the source that could be a few feet away (maybe more?).

Good luck!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Has it been raining? The bathroom vent in our 25FB will drip water on the floor in a hard rain (if the vent is left open).
SSquared is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Has it been raining? The bathroom vent in our 25FB will drip water on the floor in a hard rain (if the vent is left open).
Hi

Same general idea: Is the bathroom vent closed all the way? It does not need to be wide open for issues to occur. Turn on the vent fan over the stove and even a small gap will "suck" water in.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:38 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

New Cumberland , Pennsylvania
On my ‘19 23CB, the screw-on connection for the outdoor shower was loose. This resulted in water exiting about a foot further to the front of the trailer. After spending a couple hours troubleshooting, I easily tightened the connection located behind the lavatory sink drain.
Gbrinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Anywhere , IN
In very hot humid times, for some reason, I can get a few drops of water to drip from the air intake on AC unit. Seems to never be a lot. And hasn’t lasted long enough to get any further in my findings. I pull filter out and see drops of water trying to be sucked up into coils. Only the excess actually drips to intake vent and eventually to floor. The last time it happened I had just let the steam out on my instapot. AC unit had been on constant for long period. So I figured it may be from my added humidity to nature’s.
I have stuck my fingers into all reachable areas from intake vent and feel nothing. My drain outside seems to be dripping plenty.
Don’t know if this could be where your water comes from.
Safe travels,
Kevin
KRPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRPS View Post
In very hot humid times, for some reason, I can get a few drops of water to drip from the air intake on AC unit. Seems to never be a lot. And hasn’t lasted long enough to get any further in my findings. I pull filter out and see drops of water trying to be sucked up into coils. Only the excess actually drips to intake vent and eventually to floor. The last time it happened I had just let the steam out on my instapot. AC unit had been on constant for long period. So I figured it may be from my added humidity to nature’s.

I have stuck my fingers into all reachable areas from intake vent and feel nothing. My drain outside seems to be dripping plenty.

Don’t know if this could be where your water comes from.

Safe travels,

Kevin

I’ve had a similar issue I’ve noted if I have bathroom vents or a window open while the AC is on. It must pull in moisture from the air and it collects on the AC unit - but the drips are under the AC unit, not in the bathroom so I’m still not sure how the OP is finding water in that specific location....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
The Villages, FL , Florida
Suggestion

Disconnect the city water. Fill the fresh water tank and operate using the pump. Leave the pump on while in the unit, off when gone. Listen for the pump cycling. With all faucets off, it may take an hour or so to hear the pump if indeed there is a leak on the pressure side. Is your city water fill behind the bath or refrigerator, it is notorious for leaking. Take a deep look inside the bath cabinet with a flashlight paying attention to the drain lines and the back of the city water fill if visible. Good luck. Take pictures and send them to your dealer asking for suggestions.
Sitesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
we replaced the cheap plastic PEX connectors with brass ones. No more leaks
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:17 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
The Villages, FL , Florida
One more thought. Is your hot water heater just below the sink behind a door with no handle? If so, open and look for leaks.
Sitesee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Anywhere , IN
Well done. I missed the effective reading class in school. I see it’s in bathroom now.
Kevin
Old 07-30-2019, 02:42 PM   #15
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp1162 View Post
Water is accumulating on the floor of my 30 ft International Signature, immediately to the right as you enter the bathroom (a few tablespoons). I filled and drained the sink and didn't see any leaks. I removed everything under the sink and no water. The refrigerator/freezer is on the other side of the wall and I see a lot of moisture on the cooling fins in the refrigerator. The catch pan appears to be seated properly.

I have 2 AC units so I'm guessing a drain line may be nearby as well. It's hot and humid here in Daniels KY (SW of Louisville at an COE campground). The AC's have been running off on all day and they're clearly draining outside on either side of each wheel well.

Any thoughts on how to identify the source would be GREATLY appreciated as I'm as green as they get (2 months full time).

See pdf for photo.
Hi djp1162,*

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Carson City , Nevada
The location is near a floor vent but it's still a few inches away and there's no water trail. The water location is up against the wall. I moved camps yesterday and haven't seen the water accumulation all day. I wonder if the drive over some ROUGH roads caused something to fall back into place or come loose. It remains a mystery.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:15 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Carson City , Nevada
I submitted a request 2-days ago and haven't heard back so I'm calling now.
Old 08-02-2019, 04:13 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' International
Carson City , Nevada
Problem solved...for now

You and a few other people pointed me in the right direction under the sink but I couldn't see the darn leak because it was just a periodic drip and it came and went as I moved campgrounds. It turn out to be the connection point where city water enters the AS. I was able to get my hand back there and finger tighten the connector a little but no way to get leverage. I closed the city water main valve and cracked it enough to get a low water flow. The dripping appears to have stopped for now. I've never seen plumbing like this and honestly, it all looks like cheap plastic. Quite the surprise given the price of this thing. I saw a reference to brass connectors and will look into this further, especially for such a critical connection. My guess is there are more so if anyone has done this 'upgrade' I'd be interested to knowing where the other weak points are in the plumbing system.

A sincere THANK YOU to everyone that responded. I learned a lot and am so grateful for the help. Dan

Photo attached. You can barely see the drip in the red circle. A few hundred of these and you end up with a nice puddle.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf leak.pdf (10.02 MB, 27 views)
Old 08-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Anywhere , IN
Thanks for giving all of us an update. Glad the fix was simple.
Safe travels,
Kevin
Old 08-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #20
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Leak at City Water connection

Two additional thoughts:

You may want to use plumbers tape on the city water connection. That may help.

Also one reason a leak may seem to come and go may depend on where you are camping, and any slight change in how the camper is sitting. Leaning to one side and the water flows to the side of the trailer you don't see, and leaning a little the other direction and the water ends up in the middle of the trailer where you notice it.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote