Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Venting question.

Hi guys
According to our understanding Venting is required in the drainage system at every fixture and for each holding tank.
So far the 1970s airstream that we saw or worked on it had a roof vent for the kitchen and for the bathroom.
Now working on the Avion we found the: Anti-Siphon Trap Vent Device (ASTVD) often referred to as a “check vent”.
Now in theory the ASTVDs will allow air into the system but does not release any air or gases from the system into the RV.
Is there any proper way to test the proper functionality of the ASTVDs?
thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01000.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	174735   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG01001.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	174736  

2 chronicles 7:14
VeggieBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
These vents are designed to prevent air flow into the trailer from the drain system, but allow flow in the reverse direction; this allows the sink or shower to drain more effectively.

You could use a shop vacuum to create a pressure or vacuum on the end of the valve; you should be able force air into the valve, but not in the reverse direction. Some creative use of duct tape will likely allow you to test the valve.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
My wife has a *very* sensitive sense of smell - she'd know if it wasn't working in a minute!

Kidding aside, I had to change the one in my trailer as she said that it smelled like there was a leak (mildew smell). I bought a new valve (they're on $10) and noticed that the directions said that it should be hand tightened and that either Teflon tape or Vaseline should be put on the threads to ensure that there would be no air leak around the threads - the original had been cemented in with some kind of brittle cement and it did not cover all the threads, hence the smell. I used Vaseline and it has been fine since.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
….You could use a shop vacuum to create a pressure or vacuum on the end of the valve; you should be able force air into the valve, but not in the reverse direction. Some creative use of duct tape will likely allow you to test the valve…
Hi Bart.
I was thinking about the vacuum test but not shure the “tolerance” range on the valves, Do you think we should be fine?
Thanks

My wife has a *very* sensitive sense of smell - she'd know if it wasn't working in a minute!

…. I had to change the one in my trailer as she said that it smelled like there was a leak (mildew smell). I bought a new valve (they're on $10)..

Hi blkmagikca
My wife and I are both super sensitive to the smells, unfortunately all the tanks are disconnected and the plumbing is all out as well so no other way to test the normal functionality of the valves and I will hate to rebuilt the trailer and to later find that the valves don’t work or that the have a backflow of gases from the tanks. All the valves are in between walls on the cabinets so I’m looking on a way to test them safely. Now the $10 a piece doesn’t sound that bad except that we have 4. Where did you find yours ebay?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
VB

I think you can buy them at Lowes or HD for about $5.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
I bought mine at Home Hardware. I don't know where you et to having 4 of these valves - I have only the one under the kitchen sink (yah, I had to empty out all the pots and pans). The bathroom sink & shower vent through the roof as does the waste tank.

At only $10 each, if they are all out now, I'd opt to just replace them.
WBCCI 8080
Old 12-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
.. I don't know where you et to having 4 of these valves - I have only the one under the kitchen sink...
We are working on a Avion 38.5M and that thing is huge! so we have 1 in the bathroom sink, 1 for the shower, 1 for the kitchen sink and 1 for the washer and dryer.
Didn't have a chance to test them yet but will try the vacuum system before replacing them, $30 here, $20 there ....in almos 40ft that adds quick!!
Old 12-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Is there no roof vent for the wash water? Generally each holding tank has its own roof vent, and for the gray water tank, due to its proximity to the bathroom (sink & shower) - that would mean that inside vents would not need to be used there.
WBCCI 8080
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
2007 20' Safari SE
Vintage Kin Owner
Wesley Chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkmagikca View Post
Is there no roof vent for the wash water? Generally each holding tank has its own roof vent, and for the gray water tank, due to its proximity to the bathroom (sink & shower) - that would mean that inside vents would not need to be used there.
Every tank has a roof vent and there is also a ASTVD for every fixture, I guess Avion just overkilled on this model?
Old 12-24-2012, 07:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
One could duct-tape a new & perfect thin grocery store style produce bag over the cap, should be zero inflation tendency when back-draft is introduced...