Old 08-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A big spray bottle full of a STRONG chlorine bleach solution is your best friend anywhere around water and drain connections--use liberally...and often.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
What per cent solution do you consider "strong" for the bleach solution?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
The level of chlorine in any municipal water supply is high enough to kill any water borne "bugs". That is why it is there.

One rarely, if ever, hears of widespread sickness do to bad water in the USA.

If you ever saw a camera view of the 30 plus year old distribution pipes, you would go back to drinking beer and skip water all together. And the world is full of them.

I don't shove my water supply hose into my slinky, but the more sterile one attempts to make his surroundings, the more vulnerable one is when things are not perfect.

Regards,

JD
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
A dilemma for the designer. The sewer flush connection probably had to be higher than the sink traps. Both this and the ext water hookup need convenient accessibility from interior, on my trailer only under the bath sink cabinet. It must be street side somewhat near the dump valves.

So I suppose there is a logic to the arrangement, making the best of limited choices.
Easy fix, though. Add a small gutter over the fresh water inlet, that slants to the rear and directs water dripping from above to someplace that isn't your fresh water inlet. Doesn't even have to be a big gutter, just enough to catch the drips. Kind of like the gutters that used to be over the car doors back in the day.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
What per cent solution do you consider "strong" for the bleach solution?
I use 3-4 ounces of unscented bleach to a gallon of water--enough that it smells like a well-chlorinated swimming pool. Detectable chlorine odor when sprayed

E. Coli and its friends are hard to kill--and this is just a standard precaution along with disposable gloves for handling the stinky slinky, etc.. I'm married to a RN, and I don't get a choice in this matter, or how I wash my hands--and for how long.

True, you can't live in a sterile bubble, nor is it a good idea to try to, but some bacteria can quickly ruin a trip--or the rest of your life--look up MRSA if you really want more details that you want..

The same solution is used in the kitchen to sanitize cutting boards, especially the one for chicken...and has its uses in the bathroom as well.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Respectfully I disagree - one does not create a tolerance for contamination of that sort - if the amount of contaminate reaches a certain threshold - the ol' two bucket syndrome ensues

Best to avoid contamination

Also I'm not at all sure if municipal water has enough chlorine to persistently kill "stuff" - they chlorinate at treatment facility then dechlorinate? What is left are some chloride by products and these may have some effect on bugs - but very little I suspect

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:31 PM   #49
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
True, you can't live in a sterile bubble, nor is it a good idea to try to, but some bacteria can quickly ruin a trip--or the rest of your life--look up MRSA if you really want more details that you want.
Had MRSA, after foot surgery gone infected. Twelve days as an inpatient in semi-quarantine, no visitors other than medical staff. Two additional surgeries to remove infected tissue. Hospital food three times a day. After being discharged, another twenty days of visits from a home care nurse to change bandages and monitor my progress, and fourteen weeks with a PIC line in my arm, taking intravenous antibiotics three times a day, every day.

There's a reason why I'm paranoid about infections; them darned germs ARE out to get me!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:35 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Note to folks - MRSA is a skin bug - a type of staph - get it mostly while in a hospital or institution - unfortunately some community aquired strains are out there - usually a but easier to treat - sounds like you got the nastier hospital strain

Anyway - its not a poop or snot thing - you just may not want to body wrestle protagonist

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Had MRSA, after foot surgery gone infected. Twelve days as an inpatient in semi-quarantine, no visitors other than medical staff. Two additional surgeries to remove infected tissue. Hospital food three times a day. After being discharged, another twenty days of visits from a home care nurse to change bandages and monitor my progress, and fourteen weeks with a PIC line in my arm, taking intravenous antibiotics three times a day, every day.

There's a reason why I'm paranoid about infections; them darned germs ARE out to get me!
Yup. Exactly. And Protagonist survived, congratulations!

It can be nasty..and the reality of it is, "Just because you are paranoid does NOT mean that they are NOT out to get you".

My RN wife gets pale when she hears of a MRSA infection in one of her patients, and quickly bundles up in FULL isolation gear...just to talk to them.

I'll spray chlorine around in the vicinity of the stinky bits, the fresh water connections, etc--thankyouverymuch!
Old 08-21-2013, 08:59 PM   #52
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
What's best "dis-infectant" just shy of a thermonuclear device so we can use AS this millennia?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Old 08-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #54
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have never seen a clean-up hose on a dump station with a hose connection on it. For good reason. Someone (oh yeah), will think it's ok to connect that up to the hose bib on their trailer and fill their freshwater tank. Just think, 38 gallons of rolling typhoid! Like a lot of folks, I dump black first and once it's empty, dump gray -- which takes longer as the pipe is 1 1/2 inches. If I am at a dump station I will use their spring loaded wand to wash out the slinky. If I have hookups, I seal up the Drainmaster (I do NOT use Thetford) and go inside, wash my hands with hot soapy water, shut down the pump, lock the door, put up the step, do a final walkaround and BOOGIE!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
Same here: The flusher port is right above the city water connection (the fresh tank inlet is off to the side). This is on a 2013 25FB Flying Cloud.
The fresh water tank inlet is on the driver side?? That seems unusual. Mine is on the curbside, which is where most fresh water fill stations at dump sites are located. They put fresh water faucets on the opposite side of the dump station to keep folks from rinsing their dump hoses and valves and to avoid cross contamination of the fresh water faucet. Of course I have seen them on the dump side too, but I would never fill my fresh water tank with one of those.

My city water inlet is 2 feet forward of my black tank rinse inlet at the same level. I'm REALLY glad it's not above it!
Old 08-21-2013, 11:08 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Streamer View Post
The fresh water tank inlet is on the driver side?? That seems unusual. Mine is on the curbside, which is where most fresh water fill stations at dump sites are located. They put fresh water faucets on the opposite side of the dump station to keep folks from rinsing their dump hoses and valves and to avoid cross contamination of the fresh water faucet. Of course I have seen them on the dump side too, but I would never fill my fresh water tank with one of those.

My city water inlet is 2 feet forward of my black tank rinse inlet at the same level. I'm REALLY glad it's not above it!
Yup.

Here's a link to a photo of another 25FB at Colonial's web site:
http://colonialairstream.com/airstre.../images/23.jpg
Left of the fridge vents, you'll see two black dots--those are the flusher and the city water. Left and below them, is a white square, that's the fresh tank fill. Left of that is a gray rectangle, that's the shower. The sewer outlet is under the shower & fresh tank fill.

(By they way, the unit pictured here has the 110V power and TV connectors in a different place than I have on my 2013 Flying Cloud)