Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Using vinegar to keep bacterial growth in grey water tank suppressed?

We use a water/vinegar mixture as a general cleaning solution in our home - just the way grandma did. It cleans grime, and has antibacterial properties.

Other benefits are that it doesn't contain any chemical nasties, so I am not worried about using it with kids around.

When looking at black tank supplements they almost all mention corrosive properties, so I am wondering if putting a swig of white vinegar into the grey tank would keep the any smells from there in check without damaging the piping.

Has anybody ever tried this?
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Haven't tried it, but it surely wouldn't hurt anything. I just can't get past the smell.

We have had just a couple of occasions when the foul odor I can only describe as dishwater-standing-too-long has occurred. I remedy this by dropping a little Pine-Sol down the sink with some water and it goes away.

I think the reason we don't have grey tank odor is because I regularly clean with Pine-Sol, including the sink, also wipe certain things down with very diluted bleach......which accomplishes the same deodorizing purpose.

I would never use chemicals for the black tank in the grey.

Maggie
Old 08-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
I'll give it a shot. I know many people have a real aversion to vinegar smell - I drop a couple of halved lemon peels in the vinegar bottle. Fresh, natural lemon smell on tap.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
I'll give it a shot. I know many people have a real aversion to vinegar smell - I drop a couple of halved lemon peels in the vinegar bottle. Fresh, natural lemon smell on tap.
Actually, if you add ReaLemon® lemon juice (the stuff that used to come in the plastic lemon-shaped containers) you can use that instead of vinegar. The acid in the lemon juice should be an adequate substitute for the acid in the vinegar.

Makes your fresh water perfect for cold-brewing sun tea, too!
Old 08-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This is off-topic, , but I'm fixin' to make a batch of laundry detergent when we get home. One that has orange esential oil in it.

Ever tried this?

Maggie
Old 08-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasduess View Post
That's a really good idea. I love lemon.

Maggie
Old 08-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
A lttle bit of vinegar is not going to suppress bacterial growth, it is just acetic acid. The smell is not that enjoyable either. It will clean scale and crud. Bleach suppresses bacterial growth, good stuff for killing anything bad. Why not just spend the money on a commercial holding tank treatment. They have enzymes and deoderizers. Per tank it is not that expensive unless you drain frequently. If that is the case just put in any aroma that pleases you.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:02 PM   #8
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Yup, Lemon will do the trick! We use real lemons from our tree. Mrs Safari cuts and squeezes them. then cuts them in quarters so as not to plug up the trip down to the gray tank

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Why not just spend the money on a commercial holding tank treatment. They have enzymes and deoderizers. Per tank it is not that expensive unless you drain frequently. If that is the case just put in any aroma that pleases you.
Larry
Reason I don't like perfumed deodorizers is that most of these fragrances are not exactly good for human health - we avoid them wherever possible, opting for a natural solution instead.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Have you considered something like this? I haven't tried their products, but have heard good things.
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote