Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Question type of external water hose to use?

Hello all,

I have just posted another thread related to this you might also want to look at if you can help because it describes the three things I will use coming from a 3-way connector I plan to have on a garden hose. It's just below this post.

I am new to this forum and to owning an Airstream. I have recently purchased a 1976, 26' Argosy.

I plan to do some driveway living for a year or so in it on a friends concrete driveway using water from a house that is only being used for volunteers (he has a small farm).

Can I use a regular long garden hose up to the point where I will use a splitter, and then for the rest of the way use one of these drinking water rv hoses I've seen on the net, along with whatever new water filter I saw the previous owner left in the trailer that was never hooked up?

Do I also need a regulator thing at some place too?

I don't know of the length requirements yet for the garden hose to run from the house's outside spigot to my rv in the driveway.
Thanks,

Brian

Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I haven't tried it but if you use a good filter I would think that would be OK the only difference between the drinking hose and regular hose is the drinking hose has been treated so the water doesn't taste like a garden hose.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
You should use a RV water hose for the whole length from spigot to trailer. Remember that rubber taste from drinking out of a gardenhose? You will always have that flavor if any of the hose is the average garden variety.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Don't use a regular garden hose. It will affect the taste.

For a long run you can use polyethylene water pipe. It's the semi-flexible black stuff. If you use that, and bury it under a few inches of soil, you'll have a good installation.

A fact to consider with long hose runs to the trailer is that, unless the line is buried, the sun will heat the water to the point where it is problematic.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Use the food grade hose... the chemicals in the other hoses are not healthy. Yes, we all used to drink from the hose... but w/ our trailers, we drink water that's been sitting in that hose for a while.

Personally, for short term use I'd rather fill my tank w/ the hose and then use the water pump for pressure to avoid drinking water that's been sitting in the hose for hours in the hot sun.

For longer term, the polyethylene tube is the way to go...

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
As others have stated, use a white hose for the entire run or use the poly tube and having it buried is the best way to keep it out of the baking sun. Always, always use a water pressure regulator when hooking up to city water supply. I wouldn't count on the long run reducing the pressure enough to not use the regulator. Split or burst pipes are not worth it. Regulators are cheap compared to ruined floors.

Welcome to the forums, Brian.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Mt. Pleasant , South Carolina
It may be a long run of hose but it is best to buy a high quality hose--the cheap ones will burst in a short time, especially if left in the sun under pressure for months on end. Spend the money up front, save trouble later.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Thanks y'all for some VERY helpful info! You guys/gals know your stuff

I guess I will have to go with the poly hose or the other one you spoke of.

I guess I would still need this type of hose if I decided to try and fill up the fresh water tank how ever many times a week as well.

I won't be able to bury the hose as there is a concrete wall holding back about a 50 ft. sloping hill of ivy. So there is no soil to bury anything on the side closest to the trailer.

What about me getting that insulation that you put on a/c hoses? I figure something like this will help during the summer AND the winter time.

I AM concerned about the water sitting in the hose all the time too AND the pressure of the hose.

I will get that regulator to be safe.

Brian
Old 06-21-2010, 08:19 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Thanks guys, I'll explore those options.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
I just called a local water delivery or pick-up-yourself place and there is a no contract buy as you need 5-gal jug of water I could get for drinking.

Perhaps I could just get a regular garden hose to hook up to the outside tankless water heater and trailer and only use the water coming from that for the shower and for washing dishes/sinks.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You should be able to buy 1/2" polyethylene tubing for about the same price as garden hose. Might have to try a farm store.

You don't have to insulate the hose, just shade it. Used lumber, pieces of tin, whatever is at hand will work.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
I would make sure the self contained system works and keep the tank filled thru the winter, depending on a hose water when a freezing night predicted not the way to go, even here in FL the hose water freezes over night.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
I would make sure the self contained system works and keep the tank filled thru the winter, depending on a hose water when a freezing night predicted not the way to go, even here in FL the hose water freezes over night.
Dave, are you referring to filling the trailer's fresh water tank during the winter when you say "self contained system"?

That would def. make sense rather than trying to jury rig some kind of insulation or warming thing.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Atlanta, , Georgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
You should be able to buy 1/2" polyethylene tubing for about the same price as garden hose. Might have to try a farm store.

You don't have to insulate the hose, just shade it. Used lumber, pieces of tin, whatever is at hand will work.
So, Jammer, would I go to the local hardware store and some how get a male and female clamp on garden hose connections? It seems when I did a search on this type of hose they weren't selling as a garden hose.

I found something on Amazon.com.

Is that what you all are referring to?

Thanks again for the help.

Tags
driveway living, water filter, water hose, water regulator, year round living