Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Toilet valve winterizing

It's 90 in Dallas so time to start the winterizing conversation.....

So for the second year in a row, had to replace the flush valve on the toilet. Unfortunately this year, discovered it was leaking on our first outing because we are now departing from storage as opposed to being able to park in front of the house and test systems.

I used the blow out the lines, antifreeze in the traps method which worked for everything except the flush valve.

Any ideas on how to address this in the future? Hopefully other than the pump pink stuff through the lines solution..... did this year before last and I think I still taste pink stuff when I drink water.

fortunately the good folks at Spencers RV in Paris Texas had the part I needed and because I had done it before it became a quick 30 minute repair.

Dana and Olga
2006 Safari 23
2011 Tundra Double Cab
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
I have had a similar issue. If I decide again to winterize it by myself, I think I will take it off to ensure that all of the water is out of it. What are your thoughts on doing that.

urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
We live a little further up north, and have always used the pink stuff, a good flushing in the spring and your good, never had any issues with it leaving a taste? And no issues with freezing water lines. Where you putting the pink stuff in your fresh water tank? I could see a big issue if you did that, would take forever to remove all the traces. If your just blowing out the water system you do have to worry about water flowing back and recollecting, which could be what is happening to your toilet valve.

damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
After draining the lines and water heater, and setting the valves to bypass the water heater, I just hook up an air compressor to the city water port, set it to about 30lbs of pressure and go through the trailer from the furthest point to the closest opening each valve. I do it a few times until I get nothing but air. For the toilet, I just stand on the pedal for 30 seconds and it seems to blow everything through. I disconnect the shower head hose and let that drain out into the shower. This works for me, even with spells below O degrees in winter. Adding antifreezer to the drains, and a gallon in each tank completes the process.
The only thing I missed this past winter was the sprayer hose at the kitchen sink, so I had to fix that.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1948 22' Liner
Roy , Utah
Send a message via AIM to MYater Send a message via Yahoo to MYater Send a message via Skype™ to MYater
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post
It's 90 in Dallas so time to start the winterizing conversation.....

So for the second year in a row, had to replace the flush valve on the toilet

Any ideas on how to address this in the future
I had a similar problem with mine two years in a row several years ago. I have two solutions that I use now to prevent it from happening again.

1. I use my compressor to blow as much air out of all the lines as possible.

2. I have an old broom stick that has been delegated a single task of holding the toilet open over the winter. With it partially open in the toilet the valve is partially open and the water can just evaporate over two weeks or so and it is dry throughout the valve.

Not a problem since I started.
"Some things you can tap. Some things you can hit. Know which one is which!"

1948 Airstream Liner 22'
MYater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
last winter was my first with the Airstream and I also had that problem with the toilet flush valve. I do not like to use pink; I prefer to drain everything, but that valve will not drain. I do think air pressure on the whole water system would work as long as you exercise the valve with air pressure but it also looks like you could easily blow it dry by disconnecting the valve outlet hose(just a hose clamp there) and a hand pump.

lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote