Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
toilet supply leak???? help

I have a thetford aqua-magic that is leaking from the water supply connection in the back. I can feel the leak but cannot get to it! Can I pull off the cover? Do I have to remove the toilet? If I remove it what replacement gaskets/seals do I need?
bubbainsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbainsd
I have a thetford aqua-magic that is leaking from the water supply connection in the back. I can feel the leak but cannot get to it! Can I pull off the cover? Do I have to remove the toilet? If I remove it what replacement gaskets/seals do I need?
You will have to check on the leak with a mirror if you do not want to remove the toilet. You did not mention the year oad size of your trailer, but in most cases the supply leaks can be fixed with the toilet in place. Some have access to the rear of the toilet to the access panel under the license plate.
If you do have to remove the tolet, then it will reveal which style of gakset you will need to re-install. It is often a soft rubber gasket with a large diameter and 2 or 4 bolt holes in it.
First, though try and isolate the leak, see if it is the supply line fitting, or the hose itself, or perhaps the water measuring device with the pedal attached.
Sometimes it's best to just replace the whole toilet with a porcelain unit from Dometic ( Sea Land brand). Those are excellent, use household size seats, and can be cleaned easily,and without the yellowing that often happens to plastic.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks. It's a 1984 excella-roadside toilet. I have isolated the leak but cannot reach it. Guess it's time for removal!
bubbainsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #4

Fixed my toilet leak

Sounds like the same leak I had. Replaced the water valve. Not that big of a deal. Pulled the toilet.
Walter
walter846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbainsd
Thanks. It's a 1984 excella-roadside toilet. I have isolated the leak but cannot reach it. Guess it's time for removal!
To remove the toilet, you should have a Thetford, unless it hasd been upgraded. Lift the seat, in the 11 oclock position, pull out that plug, and using a LONG extension run a 7/16 socket down to pull the nut. Then, the other (theres only two) nut is under the pedal. Then remove the water line and take it to your work bench. Many times the gasket can be reused- you should be able to see if it is hard or damaged. There are two or three locations a leak can occur, so make sure of the leak location before effecting the repair.
steelbird312 WBCCI #6673 jerry Hodge
2013 31" Classic limited
Have no intention of arriving at the grave safely, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, throttle in the other, totally worn out and screaming
"WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!"
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:56 AM   #6
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Pu

Hi Bud,
I too just went through the same thing.

The valve kit comes with a new floor seal.
Most RV stores carry this item,or order on-line.
I think $42 bucks.
I replaced the internal valve but when I re-installed the toilet the connection TO the valve started to leak.

I used a paste type pipe dope on the PVC connection which solved the leak.

Good luck.

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
you can get the front nut off by going in over the foot pedal, but in that case you have to do it before you do the back one.

Living in cold country, this valve drives me crazy. It is very easily freeze damaged and very hard to drain completely. As a consequence, I made up a fitting (hose bib male to air system quick disconnect) so I could use a compressor to blow out the pipes (you have to remember to step on the foot pedal to open the valve, or you're still in trouble). Hooking up a compressor to the water system is safe--the pipes will withstand several times the maximum pressure that most air compressors can generate.

Zep
Old 01-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Thetford Aqua Magic Manual

Here's the manual in case you need it. The floor gasket is available from any well stocked RV dealer. Have fun...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thetford Manual.pdf (3.00 MB, 128 views)
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote