Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1992 25' Excella
Venice , Florida
toilet removal

New to airstream. Already, I can see that one thing leads to another !
Anyway, to make a long story short, have been checking the subfloor in my new to me 93 25 ft. Excella. There is a small access door under the toilet platform, and I wanted to check for leaks under there. I just had to remove the carpet and plastic protection for the carpet and found that the osb subfloor is fairly good shape. What IS bad is the platform that the Thetford toilet sits on. Made out of crap press board. The whole front is now off. I will make a new platform if I can get the toilet off fairly easy. My thought is might as well at this point ! How do I remove the toilet ?
The same thing happened to the shower pan front panel...fell apart. I can fix it. The good news is that after removing the carpet etc. the osb subfloor is in good shape. One corner of the support for the shower pan (closest to the front shower entrance) was not touching the pan. Maybe a 1/2 inch too low. I raised it up with a wedge which I glued to the subfloor with construction this OK ?

harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Not sure what model but try this.

Under the flush pedal remove the 1/2" nut. On the left rear under the toilet lid remove the round plug. Straight down remove the 1/2" nut (need a long extension) the toilet will lift up. remove the water line in the back.

You will need a new seal to reinstall.

If you plan to replace the flange "unscrews" to remove also most new toilets have the hold down bolts on the sides and your flange needs to be rotated to bolt down the new toilet.

Hope this helps.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:37 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Kerrville , Texas
Toilet removal

I have to replace a toilet in a 78 ex cella. 31ft. Have old toilet out. Floor behind flange soft. I would like to just lay a piece of 3/8" plywood over the area the new toilet will be sitting on. My problem is the flange is there enough threads to
Raise the flange and turn to align toilet mounting bolts and replace the several screws to hold the flange onto the new plywood? This trailer is located on a permanent lot and will not be towed again. Trying to replace this toilet with least amount of expense and time for the new owners. Appreciate any tips you can tell me!!

richg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Not sure if you could unscrew high enough but if you have the toilet out you should be able to unscrew and measure.

OR you can go to Lowe's or HD they have an extension for what you want to do.
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
You could always purchase a new flange. They come in different "heights". They are like $8.00 at Vintage Trailer supply. A worthy investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote