Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Toilet flange problem

I have a problem with my toilet flange lining up and connecting to my black tank. I cut the hole for the flange to big. When I put the flange over the hole for the black tank I have a few screw holes which have no floor to connect. Even if I did have the hole at the correct size the flange will not touch the black tank (two issues). There is about a 1/8th inch distants between the threads and the black tank.

Should I build a box to put the toilet on and is there a flange extender that I can connect to the black tank? I do not know how to solve this problem? I was thinking of putting the black tank on 3/4 "nyloboard and drawing a line around the tank and cutting it. I would then cut a new hole. Any thoughts?

SIU Bound

Brian

Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Brian, does the floor sit directly on the black tank, or is there a small space?
If there is a small space, maybe you could cut a few pieces of 1x4, lower them into the hole, screw them onto the bottom of the floor, then put a larger piece of plywood around the hole you cut, screwing it down as well. Cut a new hole for the flange in the correct position, maybe also using some Liquid Nails on the 1x4's and seam of the plywood.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I trust tank is back in original position with drain attached..

Do you have the molded tank box foam floor piece that has the pillars of foam to allow heated air circulation in place? IIRC there were thinner spacer sheets of foam beneath that on mine that boosted height by another 3/4-inch..

About repairing the flooring... you need (guilty) pictures to clarify the stretch required and such - I would be tempted to use a broad sheet metal plate underfloor with the correct crescent plywood piece bedded in epoxy to get some mechanical strength back, but I hope someone else will have an easier solution.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Wabbiter:

I will post pictures tomorrow. The tank is in postion. I cut the hole a little to big, but I have got that problem solved. The tank is butt up against the floor. I will get you those pictures tomorrow. I spent the whole day putting in a new laminate floor. My sixth floor and my most challenging floor.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 07-07-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
gee - since the problem is 51% solved theres no demand on my behalf to see BW tank cameos... : )

Before a FDISK and reinstall I had a link to a vendor that had a vast selection of the floor flanges - slip, threaded, oversize floor bracket, various lengths, nylon, PVC etc. etc..

The link came out of these forums...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Bishop , Georgia
Toilet flange advice

If you are still working on a solution for your toilet flange problem, I can relate my experience when I faced a similar problem with our 1990 Excella and share photos.
After buying the 1990 Excella, I wanted to replace carpet with wood flooring, I discovered that there was not much original flooring under the toilet. I had to buy and place 4 ft 3/16" thick by 2" wide metal bar across the span from one support member to the next in the bathroom. I hen was able to place a 3/4" plywood over the metal support, raising the original floor height. That gave me a solid floor base and I cut an exact hole for a new toilet flange. However, now there was a problem with the flange threads reaching the black holding tank threads. I searched and searched until I came up with a solution that a plumbimg supply offered. I was able to take a toilet flange from a hardware store and use a piece of PVC pipe cut to my desired length, and add a Male Pipe Thread piece. I could adjust all 3 pieces until I had plenty of thread depth in the black tank and the proper height on the plywood. Then I used PVC cement to glue all parts together. I sealed the joints with silicon sealer for good measure. I will post my photos and provide link tonight if you are interested. Ronnie Moon
Old 07-07-2008, 06:10 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Bishop , Georgia
toilet flange advice photos

Here is the link for my 1990 Excella bath room work including building the floor flange and adding support over rotted floor mentioned in the previous post. Note the piece of PVC pipe cut to your desired length is 4" ID/4.5" OD. That piece fits inside the 9906C floor flange part. The male pipe thread part fits inside the PVC pipe cut to your desired length. The MPT is 3" ID near threads and 3.5" ID on top and 4" OD where it fits into the PVC pipe cut to your desired length. You have to mark depth on parts and be quick when you glue. Then seal with silicon. Good luck. Ron
CherokeeMoon_photos/1990 Airstream Excella 29/1990 Excella ren - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 07-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
That is pretty much what I did. There is some small differences but close. Wow it is amazing.

Thanks for the info. If I did not figure it out you would have done it for me. I have not been posting because of the time spending on the trailer. It's getting there. Almost done for this year. Big plans for more upgrades next year.

Brian