Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Mississauga , Ontario
to sanitize or not to sanitize that is the question

We had our AS winterized with Plumbers antifreeze and not opening up for the season. Do we sanitize fresh water tank? Yea or nea?
Thanks
slentle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Sanitizing and flushing out the pink antifreeze are two different things. Propylene glycol is not harmful but most try to flush it out well. Sanitizing is done with bleach, typically, to kill bacteria. You should do that once per year. Instructions are in the AS manual.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Agreed with the Larry's comment regarding the two different things comment. I would think however that sanitizing the water tank is based on the presence of water in the tank and whether you are using it for drinking. In that case the determining factor is the frequency that water is present and if it is chlorinated.

For example, I only go on one trip a year with water in the tank that I plan on drinking. In that case, I sanitize the tank prior to filling it. So it's once a year for me. Now if the trailer is frequently used and your source of water to fill the tank is chlorinated, there probably is no reason to frequently sanitize. On the other hand if you go longer periods between trips and your water supply is not chlorinated and the trailer sits with that water in it, I'd play it safe and sanitize the tank before filling.

In doubt you will never go wrong in sanitizing the water system. The water that can sit in a tank (even though you have drained it), can harbor a lot of nasty growths if it sits long enough. I'm really not too sure how long water stays safe to drink in a tank in a trailer between uses. It just depends on the amount of water and the state of the chlorine content of that water. Better to be safe than sorry.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
We carry a few gallons of water on our first trip each year for drinking. We also carry about 1/4 tank of water in the fresh tank. During that trip the antifreeze is flushed out during normal use from the tank or city supply depending on the campground.

Keep one thing in mind before you drink from the system. There is antifreeze in the lines from the pump and city connection. You need to draw water from each in order to completely flush the antifreeze. Failure to do this may give you a surprise down the road.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What HowieE said, and we always sanitize with bleach at the beginning of every season.

We do drink the water, also cook with it.

Maggie
Old 02-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I sanitize ours every spring, but we rarely use it. Chlorinated water won't keep a water tank clean. Air has bacteria, chlorine evaporates very quickly and provides little protection, unless you drive around with a full tank all the time. Chlorine or chlorinated water will stay on the bottom, mold will form at the top. Best to sanitize at least in the spring.

If we use the tank it's for cleaning and cooking. We use bottled water for drinking. Most of the time we're on city water. We do flush out the lines from the pink stuff, before we fill the water heater. Things taste better.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I agree with the above. I tend to sanitize once a year. If sanitizing be sure to open all of your fawcets then close them up so that the chlorinated water will get into every nook and cranny of your water system. Does not take long and easy to do.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

oz , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by slentle View Post
We had our AS winterized with Plumbers antifreeze and not opening up for the season. Do we sanitize fresh water tank? Yea or nea?
Thanks
No one is answering the OP question! No need to sanitize the system if you are not opening up this seson. You would just have to winterize it again for next year.If you do decide to use trailer this year then sanitize it before use
wahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Can anybody tell me how to put a 'new post' in the Forum?
And don't say 'New Posts' at the top; doesn't work.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Can anybody tell me how to put a 'new post' in the Forum?
And don't say 'New Posts' at the top; doesn't work.
Go to the forum area where you want to post and click the "New Thread" button at top left.

"New Posts" is a programmed search for all new posts on the system since your last logged-in visit.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamJim View Post
Go to the forum area where you want to post and click the "New Thread" button at top left.

"New Posts" is a programmed search for all new posts on the system since your last logged-in visit.

Jim
Where is "the forum area"?

I'm lookin' but not seein'!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I sanitize ours every spring, but we rarely use it. Chlorinated water won't keep a water tank clean. Air has bacteria, chlorine evaporates very quickly and provides little protection, unless you drive around with a full tank all the time. Chlorine or chlorinated water will stay on the bottom, mold will form at the top. Best to sanitize at least in the spring.

If we use the tank it's for cleaning and cooking. We use bottled water for drinking. Most of the time we're on city water. We do flush out the lines from the pink stuff, before we fill the water heater. Things taste better.
Nothing wrong with using bottled water but if your system is sanitized yearly and is filled only with municipal water during the season it will remain perfectly drinkable for the season. If I am forced to use well water from a source I am not familiar with, I do not drink or cook with it and I sanitize at the first opportunity. I always ask where the park I am spending the night in gets their water.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Where is "the forum area"?

I'm lookin' but not seein'!
Mel - I've PM'd you.

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob D View Post
Nothing wrong with using bottled water but if your system is sanitized yearly and is filled only with municipal water during the season it will remain perfectly drinkable for the season. If I am forced to use well water from a source I am not familiar with, I do not drink or cook with it and I sanitize at the first opportunity. I always ask where the park I am spending the night in gets their water.
Agree that perfectly drinkable, i.e. safe to drink, is true.

But we have found that for weekend trips we fill up a 5 gallon jerry style water can from the kitchen tap at home and bring this along.

This eliminates using a lot of disposable water bottles, and we know that the water has the taste we like for drinking and coffee.

Maybe even more important that us using it,is that we use this chlorinated city water to give to our dog. After all, the last thing anyone wants is a dog in a camper with tummy trouble.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote