Old 04-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thumbs down Thetford porcelain to slide valve gasket ?

Greetings all.

Long time lurker, first time poster - although I have lived vicariously through my better half "Tamara"

We're continuing restoration on our '66 Overlander and have entered into the enchanted land of "rear end" repairs - aka the Fertilizer Forest.

I've found that the seal between the porcelain bowl and the Thetford stainless slide valve was leaking due to improper installation of the gasket (it appears to have been an interesting comination of foam gasket and Elmers Glue). I'm having a horrible time identifying the proper gasket to go between these two items, and before I hear "old toilet....creepy....replace....new.... sealand....better...rumble rumble...etc" we're just talking about a bad gasket, the rest of the mechanism, slide valve included, appears to be just fine so I'm far from replacing it. Surely someone has had this particluar pain in the gassket before.

If you can help: you'll be #1, for helping me go #2.

Jeff

IndianaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJeff
Greetings all.

Long time lurker, first time poster - although I have lived vicariously through my better half "Tamara"

We're continuing restoration on our '66 Overlander and have entered into the enchanted land of "rear end" repairs - aka the Fertilizer Forest.

I've found that the seal between the porcelain bowl and the Thetford stainless slide valve was leaking due to improper installation of the gasket (it appears to have been an interesting comination of foam gasket and Elmers Glue). I'm having a horrible time identifying the proper gasket to go between these two items, and before I hear "old toilet....creepy....replace....new.... sealand....better...rumble rumble...etc" we're just talking about a bad gasket, the rest of the mechanism, slide valve included, appears to be just fine so I'm far from replacing it. Surely someone has had this particluar pain in the gassket before.

If you can help: you'll be #1, for helping me go #2.

Jeff
Not sure if the pre 70's seals are the same, but give this a look @

http://www.thetford.com/parts.cfm

'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Hey, I'm with you, I think those Thetfords are great. Two sources I can think of :

1) Dyers RV
has a ton of Thetford parts.
2) Call Thetford customer service at 1-800-521-3032.

And, as I have asked Tamara, let us know what you find out! You'd be amazed at how little '66 era fixit info is on the board here. Lots of 67-68, and of course newer models, but for some reason not a lot on ours. Good luck and make a "How-to" in this thread!

John
John's Camping Blog
Old 04-23-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Indianapolis , Indiana
Thanks for the quick response. I've poured over the Thetford site quite a few times this last week. It appears from the diagrams that they've integrated the seal into the mechanism's attachment to the bowl, whereas my mechanism and bowl are separate (sounds like a personal problem)<g>.

I've read that the Sealand Traveler Lite is very similar to the Thetford configurations of the 60s but I've yet to find a good description of the parts.

Maybe I'll just horrify the kid at Lowes in the plumbing department by draggin the whole contraption into aisle 7 and squatting down in from of the replacement gaskets.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Just to add another twist to Jeff's quest for the perfect gasket...

I have been wondering, since we are talking about the seal between the tank and the stainless valve, and the joint between the two is tight once everything is screwed back together, is there any type of plumber's putty or similar sealing compound that could be used there rather than a true gasket?

If we can't find the proper piece of rubber, that might be an alternative method of sealing - but I don't know if it would be an appropriate one.

Anyone care to venture a guess? Just exploring ALL the options.

(Hi Jeff, see you at the trailer after work, and I need you to stop by Lowes for me... )
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 09:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Hmm, interesting thought. You can buy material to make your own gasket, and you can also make your own with RTV silicone.

However, search using the terms "thetford" with a user ID of Inland RV and maybe "rebuild". I know I've seen something like this discussed by Andy at Inland on the board here before.

Ooops, I just checked and I'm wrong. No such post, under those terms. I thought I saw someone talk about a rebuild kit, but maybe I'm wrong.

Hey, Tamara, you came up on 2003! Didn't realize you were a long time member and owner.

John
Old 04-24-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Hey John, thanks for helping us think this through. I have had some trouble finding gasket material in town - I wanted some thin foam rubber gasketing to add a seal to the underside of our clearance lights and struck out in the plumbing and auto stores. Any idea where I can acutally buy rubber gaket material uncut? I know someone has to carry it.

We ended up using foam sill plate weather proofing from Menards and cut to fit the lights.

I like the possibility of the RTV silicone, will look into that too.

Thanks! Oh and yes, I've been around for some time but we kind of stopped using the trailer for a couple of years. (Bad, I know!!) Now we are back with a vengance :-) and glad to be here!
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:36 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Indianapolis , Indiana
A Google search for: "make your own" gasket plumbing turned up some interesting results .

Tam: I think I have some RTV at home from the Ranger engine rebuild. I suppose while the search continues we could use that as a "stop gap" measure. I'll try to go to Ferguson's plumbing with the bowl and mechanism in tow, if that fails Greg at work said that his plumber is a top notch tinker.

I think I'll propose an "Airstream Repair for Dummies" book here at work so that all this hard work can be capitalized on.

Old 04-24-2006, 03:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaJeff
A Google search for: "make your own" gasket plumbing turned up some interesting results .

Tam: I think I have some RTV at home from the Ranger engine rebuild. I suppose while the search continues we could use that as a "stop gap" measure. I'll try to go to Ferguson's plumbing with the bowl and mechanism in tow, if that fails Greg at work said that his plumber is a top notch tinker.

I think I'll propose an "Airstream Repair for Dummies" book here at work so that all this hard work can be capitalized on.
The repair primer was undertaken as the Wally Wiki. I see that very few updates to it have happened. In case you don't know what a wiki is, this is a place where you can create your own pages and chapters, and everyone can contribute and edit. Perhaps this can take off now that weather is getting better. I can contribute converter, AC and plumbing replacement and repair. Sounds like you could write a chapter on toilets. Since there's so many models, it quickly gets busy but I bet it could be done.

John
John's Camping Blog