Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2015, 12:21 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Am I missing something

Why didn't the water come up the shower drain?
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Not connected probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
Why didn't the water come up the shower drain?
Shower drains into gray tank...
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #23
demijac

2014 27' FB Classic
Livingston , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to demijac
Thanks everybody

Thanks everybody. I learned alot. In this instance, I believe what happened is that we had an external water supply that filled the tank much faster than the usual 12 to 15 minutes. Going forward, we'll keep the black tank rinse time to less than 10 minutes.

Someone said their manual said to keep the black tank valve open while rinsing the black tank. I'm not an expert but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of rinsing the whole tank if you can't fill it?
demijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:42 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by demijac View Post
Someone said their manual said to keep the black tank valve open while rinsing the black tank. I'm not an expert but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of rinsing the whole tank if you can't fill it?
Not really. The rinser is actually a sprayer that spins like the sprayer in your dishwasher at home (but shaped differently), and it will be more effective if the spray nozzle doesn't go underwater.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I agree with Pro. The idea behind the nozzles is to wash the tank out not to fill it up. I look at it this way. If I have a 5 gallon bucket that is dirty (mud stuck to the sides) it is much easier to dislodge the mud with a garden hose and spray nozzle when the bucket is empty. Filling the bucket with water defeats the purpose of using a spray nozzle.
If you feel there are solids in the tank (pyramid) built up it is better to fill the tank about half full then tow the trailer around where the sloshing water dislodges the solid waste. If the tank is completely full there will be little if any sloshing.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
sequim , Washington
well i am sort of glad i am not the only idiot who has done this. i am glad to learn why the water was pouring off the roof. my toilet did overflow and that water somehow ended up in the storage compartment, 25FB. dried it all out and have the bed opened up to promote additional air flow. i think everything is dried out at this point.

the explaination for why you leave the drain valve open when you flush is appreciated, i didn't know how all of that worked. from now on, i will take that advice and proceed with lots more caution.
reelfastgreg is offline   Reply With Quote