Old 11-25-2003, 08:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Originally posted by dmac
I lived in Ft Collins for 4 years (CSU) and my memory is that a few days of cold and snow are usually followed by melting. Overall, a mild winter climate. I would think that with heat tape on the more exposed water pipes you will do okay through the winter.
You didn't live there long enough to experience a bad winter. Most weeks at IBM Boulder, we would walk around the buildings in suit coats in January, but it isn't always that way.

I all to well remember over 3' of unexpected snow several times in one winter, power lines down, and siphoning gas from my Blazer to keep the generator running so that my hot water heat would not freeze up. Even the "weather guessers" can only give a day or two notice of that sort of event.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 09:28 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

ke4pk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:06 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
Wow Pahaska, I live only a couple miles from Carter lake. We don't have cold weather all the time but 20 below for a few nights is not uncommon. My 20 years experience with Colorado weather tells me that I should winterize the thing and call it good. I can't handle the stress anymore. I relate living in the Airstream to being in a space capsule in orbit or in a sub in the ocean. I'm very concerned that one of the systems will fail with disasterous concequences. Your're right, a power outage would be very bad. I could hook a running vehicle up to it to keep the battery charged, but that's more than I want to get involved with. I will winterize it this Thanksgiving weekend if the weather holds out. My house is undergoing a major remodel and this is why I'm living in the Airstream. I will figure out a way to wash up in the house. Does anyone know how long a man can go without showering before he really starts to stink?

Thanks for all your advice!
overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 09:09 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
One thing I did was get a roll of pink insulation from HD and some small quart-size Zip-Lock bags.
I stuffed the bags with the insulation and cramed them under the tub through the rear access door.
I also have 20 or so made up to put around the water pipes in the rear compartment.
I can always remove them when I go to "normal" climates.

I also got several cans of that expanding foam and sealed every nook and cranny I could find in the back.

This protects down to -20 if I leave the heat on low.

It is not really a hard project but it is worth it 'cause some of those copper pipes are a bear to get to in my rear-bath '72.
Good luck,
Mike76251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 08:36 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via ICQ to overlander76 Send a message via AIM to overlander76 Send a message via Yahoo to overlander76
Well all, it was too good to be true. I didn't think I suffered any damage from this little freeze thread I started, but while winterizing today I discovered a possibly costly leak. The toilet leaks when you hold down the flush. It drips antifreeze out the back. Up the back and towards the top. Ya know where all the expensive hard to find toilet parts are located. Way to go!

The Service book suggests using a round object to hold open the toilet valve during the winter while not in use. Another idea I guess. Does anyone do that? Anyone ever freeze up the toilet?

overlander76 is offline   Reply With Quote