Old 03-19-2015, 04:48 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Even with new piping you must sanitize fresh water before use.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The factory started installing grey tanks in 1974, so what you are seeing is probably an original grey tank, though the early ones were notoriously small. At any rate, the good news is that all the plumbing is there, so at least you won't be starting from scratch if you want to increase grey water capacity. The fresh water tank you pictured also looks like an original.

Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Fill the tank. Cap and seal. See if it leaks.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Our water tank looked very similar to yours and was in good shape (ie no leaks), but a nice green color from algae. We opted for a new one eventually because cleaning out the algae was a pain and almost impossible in all the nooks and crannies. Denture tablets will clean out gunk in your tank - buy lots of cheap ones.
If you want more grey tank capacity than you have, you could add another tank and gang them together. Then you can drain them both via the existing lines.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:16 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
So how did that 3 week time line end up?
Monza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
Remember : "It takes five times as long and four times as expensive as you thought it would."
<edited>

You will most likely find some floor rot hidden behind the cabinets and this will blow any fast timeline to pieces and require stripping the interior to replace the offending section of floor.

I found this when I had to get to the hose clamp that held the valve to the black tank . Airstream installed it from above the floor. That required stripping the interior from the door back to gain access. Once the interior came out I found floor rot behind the trim panels, that led to replacing a section of floor then new floor covering through out the trailer.

Which led to all new plumbing, appliances, holding tanks, fresh water tank,pump, water heater BTW relocated also, new power inlet ,new water inlet, new braker panel, surge protector, drain system, gas lines, A/C,digital TV antenna, tinted windows,blinds, curtains, refinishing the wood work, etc,etc,

That leads to 'I might as wells' and got to haves' and now your into a full restoration.

Ask me how I know !

Replumbing the Propane system is another project best done by experienced tech's.

BTW this $5500 '69 Airstream Tradewind will end up some where around $30,000+ three years after we brought it home.
Oh man is this above post hitting home with me right now, I had a good chuckle.
Just bought a '73 Tradewind in need of most every thing, starting with axles and brakes, tires and trying to get out and use it but every where I look there is work…

Monza is offline   Reply With Quote