Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
if your not hooked up to fresh water and a gray water dumpsite, why in the world would you add a tankless water heater anyway??
There is no "right" choice here, just different options with different advantages and drawbacks. Different people will make different choices.

I really like my instant water heater because I can leave it on all the time without eating through my propane. While full timing, not having to wait five minutes for my water to heat up every time I want to use hot water is a big advantage for me. It might not seem like much if you're using your rig recreationally, but my Airstream is my home. That time adds up. It's nice to just open a faucet and have hot water without having to think about it or wait. It's nice not have to go fetch propane as often.

It's nice that my tankless heater senses whether it's in danger of freezing, and automatically heats up before that happens.

I also use my tankless heater to heat my fresh water system to prevent freezing during the Winter. Not sure whether a tank style heater would work as well for that.

My tankless heater also weighs less than a tank style heater. Nice to have less weight in the rear bath.

Yes, it costs more. But it's a part of my home that I use several times a day, every day, so the cost isn't that big of a deal. Sometimes it's just nice to have nice things.

TheGreatleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:19 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
My showerhead (though not the Oxygenics one) is 2.0 GPM and it works fine with the Precisiontemp RV-550. It does take a little practice to get used to making sure the water heater kicks on every time you restart the water, but it works great for me.
Quote:
There is no "right" choice here, just different options with different advantages and drawbacks. Different people will make different choices.

I really like my instant water heater because I can leave it on all the time without eating through my propane. While full timing, not having to wait five minutes for my water to heat up every time I want to use hot water is a big advantage for me. It might not seem like much if you're using your rig recreationally, but my Airstream is my home. That time adds up. It's nice to just open a faucet and have hot water without having to think about it or wait. It's nice not have to go fetch propane as often.

It's nice that my tankless heater senses whether it's in danger of freezing, and automatically heats up before that happens.

I also use my tankless heater to heat my fresh water system to prevent freezing during the Winter. Not sure whether a tank style heater would work as well for that.

My tankless heater also weighs less than a tank style heater. Nice to have less weight in the rear bath.

Yes, it costs more. But it's a part of my home that I use several times a day, every day, so the cost isn't that big of a deal. Sometimes it's just nice to have nice things.
TheGreatleys, Thanks for your contribution to this conversation. I absolutely agree that this is really a matter of preference. We also are mostly full-timers, which means that we want a greater amount of comfort than is necessary on short term adventures. Also, since we are full-timers, sometimes we are in one spot for a few months, because constantly moving would get monotonous. At that point we are hooked up to water and sewage, so having on-demand, continuous hot water will be very nice. Plus as you said it is just more economical and thrifty in the long run. As a matter of fact, I would like to install Hydronic heating in our Airstream as part of our rebuild. We've been the 6 gal. route for years and the forced air gas furnace route with catalytic and electric space heater backup. Based on my research thus far, it seems like Hydronic heat and On-demand hot water not only go hand in hand but are also pretty energy efficient. When we are boondocking we are always very energy and water conservative, so having a 2.0 GPM showerhead that limits water usage and taking "Navy" showers also makes sense and is something we will continue to do. We love the Oxygenics showerhead in that it provides a nice hard spray and still saves water.

Slowly I'm learning the right questions to ask. That said TheGreatleys, What did you mean when you said, "It does take a little practice to get used to making sure the water heater kicks on every time you restart the water..." using the 2.0 showerhead?

TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
TheGreatleys, Thanks for your contribution to this conversation. I absolutely agree that this is really a matter of preference. We also are mostly full-timers, which means that we want a greater amount of comfort than is necessary on short term adventures. Also, since we are full-timers, sometimes we are in one spot for a few months, because constantly moving would get monotonous. At that point we are hooked up to water and sewage, so having on-demand, continuous hot water will be very nice. Plus as you said it is just more economical and thrifty in the long run. As a matter of fact, I would like to install Hydronic heating in our Airstream as part of our rebuild. We've been the 6 gal. route for years and the forced air gas furnace route with catalytic and electric space heater backup. Based on my research thus far, it seems like Hydronic heat and On-demand hot water not only go hand in hand but are also pretty energy efficient. When we are boondocking we are always very energy and water conservative, so having a 2.0 GPM showerhead that limits water usage and taking "Navy" showers also makes sense and is something we will continue to do. We love the Oxygenics showerhead in that it provides a nice hard spray and still saves water.

Slowly I'm learning the right questions to ask. That said TheGreatleys, What did you mean when you said, "It does take a little practice to get used to making sure the water heater kicks on every time you restart the water..." using the 2.0 showerhead?
When showering, I have the hot on 100% and the cold maybe 40% (I have two separate dials). In this position, I get the temperature I like, but it needs pretty close to full flow through the shower head to reliably kick the water heater on. Remember, 2.0 GPM shower head, so I'm getting something less than that through the hot side when I'm mixing with cold.

I installed a switch on my shower head to shut the water off, as many people do. That way I can start and stop to save water without messing with my hot and cold valves. You don't want a small amount of water to leak through when you pause the flow, you want it off completely. A small trickle will result in ice cold water filling the lines, so if the water is off, it needs to be totally off.

When you restart the flow, you want to open it all the way, all at once. Partially opening the switch or opening it too slowly can prevent or delay the heater from kicking on and get you a shot of cold water.

It's really not that complicated to do, but there is a bit of a learning curve to it. A few shots of cold water are a pretty good teacher.
TheGreatleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:

Agree; nice to have options...no need for tankless expense since we aren't full time in our AS...and really, we only need/use really hot water for the shower and dishes...rest of the time the residual heated water in the tank works for us, so propane is not an issue-just short time to heat up. But, good to understand your challenges and choices for full timing it. Thanks again for sharing your logic.

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote