Old 02-11-2019, 02:03 PM   #15
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I think the Precission Temp 550 is a simple solution to quick hot water and easy winterization. If you don't have time to winterize by blowing the lines or pumping antifreeze through the system, just leave the DC and propane on and it will freeze protect itself. On the low flow problem: make sure you have open plumbing to allow adequate flow and always start out with the valve all the way open. Make sure the shower head does not restrict your flow.
guskmg

guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 04:00 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Tyler , Texas
Choose based on your use habits. My home tankless units have worked great. The portable unit I have uses hardly any propane at all.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:44 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
4 AS's and running out of hot water has never been an issue for the 2 of us...it gets hot pretty quick with propane, typically, if we need it quick, start with propane then we switch to electric if we are plugged in.

Water stays hot/warm most of the day; at night if we have not been plugged in or using propane, it is still pretty warm when needed to wash up going to bed. In the morning f we had the water heater on last night, we typically still have warm water to use also; we will turn turn on propane if taking a shower and no electricity.
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Denton , Texas
Oxy showerhead

Do you recommend a particular shower head? Thank you for your time.
Rak187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:01 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
I'm planning to install a PrecisionTemp RV 550 in our Avion Truck Camper. This is a complete gut and rebuild so I don't have to work around any existing features except windows and the door. I'm going to use the PrecisionTemp for hydronic heating as well as hot water. I know that there is a version of the Precision Temp called the TwinTemp which is for hydronic heating and water heating, but it's far more expensive and I think for the limited heating needs of a truck camper I can rig up a similar system on my own. I've been getting tips from a guy in Iceland on how to set it up. He even offered to ship parts to me if there's anything available in Europe that I can't get here!

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
I have tankless natural gas WH at home and love it, where fuel, water supply, and waste storage have no limit. The limited facilities while boondocking is why I have not changed in my trailer. I replaced the water heater in my Safari a few years ago and stayed with the tank type.

My reasoning:
The Atwood 6 gallon has always been plenty, even when there were 4 of us camping. Only during winter when the incoming water was cold did mine reduce to warm water after two showers.

If it were me, I would get a 6 gallon tank type with the electric heating element. That way the campground electric handles standby water heating and propane water heating can be turned on by flipping a switch in the bathroom when there is demand.
Old 02-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rak187 View Post
Do you recommend a particular shower head? Thank you for your time.
Yes; we like the Fury by Oxygenics.. we like this one best so far and it has on/off lever on the handle...have owned the original also, but this one has nice spray, great pressure, and is rated at 2.0gpm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
CORDOVA , TN
so far it has been my experience that the gas water heater is sufficient, because

1) Unless I am connected to sewer at my campsite, endless hot water is a waste of time and money

2)the size of a 6 gal gas heater enables it to recover super fast

3)the shower is too small for me and my gf at the same time, so spending lots
of time in there is not something I see myself doing

4)why spend lots of time in the shower, with all that tasty bourbon
sitting around

mike
mkcurtiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Haslet , Texas
I am a quick shower guy. My wife takes a while longer but I think either way she can adapt. I was wondering about the water metal taste so thatís good to know. Thanks so much for the feedback.
jeremyrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:06 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyrp View Post
I am a quick shower guy. My wife takes a while longer but I think either way she can adapt. I was wondering about the water metal taste so that’s good to know. Thanks so much for the feedback.
There is no taste as long as proper maintenance is done (flushing the tank as recommended by the manufacturer).
Old 02-13-2019, 01:34 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Does anyone know if the Oxygenics shower heads are compatible with a continuous water heating system since they only allow 2gpm of flow? I'm also thinking of adding a continuous water heater.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
Does anyone know if the Oxygenics shower heads are compatible with a continuous water heating system since they only allow 2gpm of flow? I'm also thinking of adding a continuous water heater.
My showerhead (though not the Oxygenics one) is 2.0 GPM and it works fine with the Precisiontemp RV-550. It does take a little practice to get used to making sure the water heater kicks on every time you restart the water, but it works great for me.
TheGreatleys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I have tankless natural gas WH at home and love it, where fuel, water supply, and waste storage have no limit. The limited facilities while boondocking is why I have not changed in my trailer. I replaced the water heater in my Safari a few years ago and stayed with the tank type.

My reasoning:
The Atwood 6 gallon has always been plenty, even when there were 4 of us camping. Only during winter when the incoming water was cold did mine reduce to warm water after two showers.

If it were me, I would get a 6 gallon tank type with the electric heating element. That way the campground electric handles standby water heating and propane water heating can be turned on by flipping a switch in the bathroom when there is demand.
This matches my experience exactly.
BambiTex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
This matches my experience exactly.
Yep; me too! As was pointed out earlier, if your not hooked up to fresh water and a gray water dumpsite, why in the world would you add a tankless water heater anyway?? You have a short burst of cold water with a tankless or with a standard water heater in the lines anyway. The standard water heater works great; it heats up very quickly on propane; 3-5 min's and you get warm water starting from cold...plus, you have reserve warm water most all day and even thru the night most of the time; if not warm enough, turn on the propane heater switch again. When we are on shore power, we keep the electric switch on once up to temp...if we need it hotter quickly, we hit the propane switch for a bit.

But to be clear, this is an Airstream; not an apartment...the shower is small; get in, clean up and get out...Navy showers are recommended; that's how most of us roll, if you read most of the posts here.