Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Tank Level Sensor - Just Learned Something

I've occasionally gotten worried when boondocking and my fresh water level indicator has gotten down to the "red" LED level. I "assumed" that I was just about out of water ... but how close?

I just learned something ... was putting some water into the fresh water tank, not with a hydrant and hose (no running water in the barn where my AS lives when not traveling) but with a jug. As I started the water running into the tank, I went inside and for no particular reason, touched the "display levels" button on the gauge panel. It did not light up at all ... and I didn't pay much attention to this.

Went back outside to see how the water transfer was doing, and about six gallons had run into the tank. My "mental lighbulb" went off and I ran back inside and again pressed the "display levels" button, and voila! - now the red light for the fresh water tank was on!

So: I learned for the first time that once the tank is drained down to the "red" level, if I keep on using water, at about six gallons remaining (if the sensor stays aligned, etc.), the red sensor level light WILL GO OUT and there will be NO LIGHTS displayed. I felt pretty dumb about this until I reviewed my manual, and it says nothing about this.

Learn something new every day. Some of it is useful, some not.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
And we rely on the experience of others for the seemingly insignificant (until it isn't); so, thanks for the info.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Tank sensors have a mind of their own so it really becomes a matter of understanding how your particular trailer works. The newer sensors can be recalibrated but if I remember you may not be able to address the calibration on one particular tank without having to recalibrate them all. So I know that my black water tank will not go to red (full) until it really is full. My fresh water tank sensor, shows the tank is quickly emptying in the initial use of fresh water. But the sensor indicates very slow change between 1/4 full and empty.

I could recalibrate, but at this point I've learned to deal with how it measures rather than attempting to worry about the rate of change that the display panel indicates.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 23' Safari
eugene , Oregon
I hate to bump a thread but my tank levels worked only occasionally until the other day I cleaned em all up and tightened the screws. Now they still only occasionally work. Maybe I'll try some contact cleaner. I just wanted to tell someone.
snkrichards is offline   Reply With Quote