Old 07-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
Tank Level indicator lights and BLACK water ??

Newbie here (but an engineer). 2006 16' Bambi.

Our Fresh water tank has hit yellow, been refilled and hit yellow again. No gray tank in the Bambi. My black tank indicator is still green.

Should I be worried that my black tank indicator is out?

Where will the first evidence of black water overflow be?

Has anyone with a 16' calibrated when the indicator lights change from green to yellow to red for the fresh and black tanks?

I plan to run a calibration exercise as soon as can. Empty the black water, fill the fresh. Pump fresh into 1 gallon jug, pour into the black water tank via the drain, check the indicator lights. Continue to loop until black water overflows if practical, refilling fresh water or dumping the black water if needed.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Those indicators are notoriously not very accurate. As far as the black water you should be able to look down into the tank and see the level, when you flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Old 07-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I purchase a inline water meter to attach to my water hose to measure how much water goes into a tank. When I recalibrate, I disconnect the other tanks sensors vs trying to perform the Micropulse procedure for individual tank calibration. I also take the trailer off shore power and let the battery voltage stabilize. When I fill the tank to calibrate the empty and full tank readings I wait for several minutes at each position to let the sensor react to the water level before proceeding to the next step. My Micropulse kinda works well enough not to consider switching to a SeeLevel system yet.

Good luck

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1954 25' Cruiser
Bern - Thun , Berner Oberland
The sensors are often inaccurate or do not work. My solution : All tanks (5) have an overflow through the bottom ( closed off or on ) at 80 % level .

Greetings from Switzerland - Werner
Old 07-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Black Creek , British Columbia
These devices never work accurately if at all. I worked in the Water /Wastewater business all my life and the only reliable device is a simple dip stick.
I performed a volume check on our 30' FC and pretty well got to the tank volume specified.
I used a two gallon water container filled from the city water system ( don't know why you are using yours from your fresh tank).
I got the plumbing drawings from Airstream and found out the sink in the bathroom drains into the Black tank. Well then you try to calculate how many times you wash your hands and shave and use other water devices like a water pik and soon your Black tank is full. I now know, from experience, that I can go about four days without dumping. As a previous responder said, just look down the toilet and note for future reference. By the way I checked the level device as I was test filling the tank and it was nowhere near what was actual.

Norrie
Old 07-27-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Look into a SeeLevel system. After years of fiddling with the MicroPulse, I have dead accurate and consistent readings with the SeeLevel. Read this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f317...ns-133508.html

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Just another item on Airstreams that never works, and hasnt for years and the Airstream company has never opted to fix it. WHY Airstream, WHY?

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Maybe it's a trend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
Just another item on Airstreams that never works, and hasnt for years and the Airstream company has never opted to fix it. WHY Airstream, WHY?
We looked at a Pendleton in February and I was surprised to see a SeeLevel system in it. Maybe there is hope yet....

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
They finally switched to SeeLevel in 2014 or 15....can't recall now.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
Mine is at the dealer now. When the gray tank is empty, it will read anywhere from 13 to 69 percent. The other tank levels read fine.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x eu2000i Propane
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Since you have a 2006 and say you have no separate gray tank, that should mean your gray goes into the black tank (most on here call that a combined black and gray tank though it really is just a black tank as you said). If this is the case the first point of overflow will be the tub/shower drain.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' Safari
Currently Looking...
San Francisco , California
Thanks for the suggestions!

So it seems the fresh water gauge is dismally wrong, went to at about half full. The black water indicator seems Yellow at about 3/4 full.

Thanks for the info on where to see the overflow.

I'm looking into Seelevel now.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:02 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Keep in mind that those percentage readings may be different on every reading. Ours are in fractions, we can turn it off and then get a different reading when we turn it back on.

(19 recently revised from 20, revised from 23, revised from 22. Even the VA is a work in process)
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #14
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The Micropulse indicators are notorious. There are several problems.

1) They are typically calibrated wrong. You can calibrate them, but it's a fiddly time consuming process to do right. In particular you want to be sure that you don't overfill any of the tanks. The Micropulse works based on pressure transducers, so when you calibrate, you have to be sure that the fluid is at the top of the tank, not above. Most of the time the tanks, especially wastewater, are only a few inches high, and so if you overfill them to the point where there's even just an inch or two of standing water in the plumbing above the tank, there will be a problem.

2) They use RJ11 phone connectors which aren't suitable for the application, prone to corrosion

3) Blackwater tank in particular the sensors clog and read emptier than reality

4) Sensors themselves do fail although this is rare compared to other problems

5) Battery gauge provides no useful information other than, when showing 100%, confirmation that the converter is working.

Good luck. Black tank, just hold the flush valve open and look down to see how full it is.