Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2005, 11:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Sputtering water

Hi All,

We seem to be having a bit of an issue with the water pump. When you turn on the water pump, and then open a tap, we get a lot of sputtering and surging water. My dad thought it was the waterpump, and put in a new Shur-Flo, but he says the problem persists. Is this normal?

We lived on the watertank for 3 days at one site while on holidays a couple of weeks ago, and other than when we first set up, it didn't seem to exhibit that behaviour then...

Could the pump be drawing air into itself somehow? Also, on the suction line into the pump, there is a little glass do-dad with the name "Water-Guard"; does anyone know its purpose?

TIA for any help!
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:35 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Hi All,

Could the pump be drawing air into itself somehow? Also, on the suction line into the pump, there is a little glass do-dad with the name "Water-Guard"; does anyone know its purpose?

TIA for any help!
That item is a strainer for your water pump, to keep large chunks of whatever you poured into your fresh water tank to get into the water pump.
The foaming problem does sound like air in the lines. Does it stop after a few seconds, or does it spit and sputter all the time you are drawing water? Does it do it on hot and cold, or hot only? It sounds like water is draining back into the tank when you turn the water off, and the lines have to refill.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Check your city water inlet

I had this same problem on my overlander and found that my system leaked at the city water inlet. I think there should be a check valve in the pressure regulator but it wasn't working. I capped the inlet with a 3/4" male fitting. This is a good idea anyway as it will prevent any bugs from getting in.

I too bought a new pump and found that it didn't solve the problem. (Make sure all of the drain valves are closed as well.)

Maybe that's your problem.
PizzaChop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:53 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Mystery Solved!

Well, I checked a number of different things, tracing back all the way to the city water inlet with no problems found. Finally, we decided to put a new hose on the pump suction, and see if it would draw water properly from a canister; this worked! Then we bypassed the inlet filter with the new hose, and hooked it straight up to the water holding tank; success again! Conclusion: there is a minute airleak somewhere in the WaterGuard inlet filter, which allowed the pump to draw in air along with the water.
Ferroequine is offline   Reply With Quote