Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
ShurFlo 4048 153E75 Electric Water Pump

I am looking to replace my extremely noisy 2015 Serenity water pump with a new supposedly quieter model. I am also adding the pump silencing kit and the pre-pressurized accumulator tank.

Does anyone know if this is a good pump and if it is a direct replacement for the original pump in the serenity? In other words will it work with the current electrical wiring connections and pump to a safe pressure for the trailer plumbing?

Any info would be appreciated.

Link to ShurFlo pump on Amazon
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If your current pump is the Floret it probably has clip in inlet and outlet valves. The Shurflow has screw on fittings. You'll have to cut the PEX and install new fittings but if you are putting flexible hose on the inlet on the original pump you'd have to do that also. If your current pump has easy access maybe not an issue.

The Shurflow Revolution 3 gpm has similar specs, cheaper and has better reviews on Amazon.

Is your Airstream you first RV? All water pumps are noisy unless buried in basement storage which doesn't exist on an Airstream.

Kelvin
Old 07-21-2015, 06:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I have had RV's before and this is the noisiest water pump I have ever heard. Of course it is especially bad if the lines have air but it doesn't quiet down much even when the lines are clear of air.

My connections to the current pump are stiff pex with screw-on 1/2" connections. It is a 2015 Serenity and the pump has been loud since day one.

I am hoping that a bypass pump like the ShurFlo 4048 which replaced the the ShurFlo Sensor 4.0 will be quieter than the one I have. I am also adding the silencing kit and an accumulator.

The pump is located under the fridge area. It is not too bad for access but it is also not easy. I am planning on insulating the lines with some foam as well to help alleviate any lines banging against the cabinet.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
The pump that came with our AS - bought used there years old at the time - was Aquajet or some similar name. Since day one it was extremely noisy and flow was poor - like me in my aging years!

Eventually it stopped working alltogether, so it could have been defective from the time we bought the trailer.

I picked up a Shurflow pump from a local RV dealer and installed it, and the comparison was like night and day. We can barely hear the pump running, but the flow is pretty much equal to that of the city water connection.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
ShurFlo 4048 153E75 Electric Water Pump

I installed a Shurflo Revolution and it made a huge difference.More pressure no knocking and very quiet.Very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:42 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
We have a similar pump with a 1 liter jabsco accumulator tank on our boat. Both replaced last year. If you are going to add an accumulator, I would go bigger than 1 liter. Otherwise I don't think it's worth the expense or complication as our pump comes on nearly every time the faucet is cracked open. If I did it over, I would definitely add a larger accumulator.
AirstreamPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Just as a final update. I added the ShureFlo 4048 and accumulator. I am not sure the accumulator is doing much with the 4048 by-pass pump, probably not necessary.

However, there is a big difference over the old FloJet pump, much much quieter. My original FloJet sounded like a jack hammer in the closet every time it ran, even after bleeding the lines and making sure there were no air leaks.

This new ShurFlo 4048 runs smooth and much quieter. There is still a pump hum when running but nothing loud and no hammering.