Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
While I in particular, like longer showers, we found that the 6 gallon hot water capacity to be just fine. However, since our shower head has and on/off feature, we have adopted more or less a "Navy" shower routine. While we don't go out of our way to worry about proximity, if a campground shower facilities are close by and in good shape, we will also use them as well.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
We love taking a shower in our Airstream. I can't think of anything more relaxing after a day of hiking, mountain biking, chopping wood etc. than getting a nice hot shower, enjoying a coctail and preparing dinner. We do use the Navy shower method, but neither the wife or I have ever run out of hot water. We've never had to worry about filling the grey tank. Our AS is parked on our mountain property and we have a septic system.
MiTTco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

They have their own drawbacks and don't work especially well with really cold incoming water, which is what we have in Minnesota. I don't think it's worth it, in my situation at least.
If you are fortunate and have a dual fuel water heater and have an electric hookup, you can run with electric and gas concurrently. This cuts recovery time considerably and extends the hot water supply for showers. Typically we run the water heater on electric only and just before we jump in the shower, we turn on the gas switch. This really makes a difference in locales that have cold water supplies.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Denver/Boulder , Colorado
noted you mentioned a "dispenser" for soap and such? I'm buying my first AS, and it's an Interstate...I've noticed most of them have dispensers in that small wet bath...but the used one I'm buying it is not there. Do you konw where to buy those? As in, I agree that should help reduce time in the shower - and also looks cleaner as well. thx1
Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check out Bed Bath and Beyond for soap and shampoo dispensers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We have USED our AS features. Proper care and cleaning and life is fine.

When on "full hookups", showers are not "limited". I run the Electric and Propane and it "keeps up" with plenty of heat. My wife can even use hot water in the galley.

After shower, shut off propane and leave electric on.

When no "sewer" is provided, we resort to "navy" shower.

- get in the shower with all your cleaning stuff before setting temp.
- spray water to drain and set temp.
- if you have a "cut off" on the shower head you can control flow there. We don't. So I just push the control off when I am soaping up. Then I aim shower to the drain so I don't burn myself.
- start at head so water can wet as it runs down.
- shut off water
- soap head and rest of body with your flavors. Add water as necessary to "suds up". Soap face LAST!!!
- rinse down.
- wife sits on the bench so she doesn't worry about slipping.

Now, a couple tricks.. With a small tub pre soap your washcloth really well. Makes it quick to dip for more suds. Use LIQUID soaps. So you can work with concentrations to fit your liking. For us, about Quarter size in a quart of warm water is just right. Of course if really dirty, you can add soap as you go.

If you have one of the "wall dispensers" that might prefer using that.

For shaving, my wife uses a tub of hot water for cleaning the razor then uses the temp setting process as mentioned above.

Remember, using minimal water is a manageable and it actually teaches you a lot about your habits like leaving water run while doing dishes, brushing teeth, etc. if you must run the water, do it at the end to dilute and flush the "traps" and rinse bits down the pipe.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We switched over to the Oxygenics brand shower head. The problem I had was banging into the walls trying to wash. I finally realized that if I sit down, I can take my shower without bruising my knees and elbows. I am tall and light on girth. One of these days I want to try and see how little water I am using per shower.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Funny, but while I was in the Navy (20yrs) onboard ships and submarines I never took a Navy shower, I regularly took 2 a days. Only time I didn't was when we had no water, then no showers, only once for a few days, spoiled Navy guys.
At home I take Navy showers, get in, get wet, turn water to a trickle so it's easy to get some to use, then rinse off. Still take 2 a days sometimes but not as often as when on the ship. Don't get that diesel/jet fuel grime covered feeling as much at home.
Still getting my AS back together, so we'll see how those showers go, replaced the original 6 gal propane only with a 6 gal propane electric for a little extra water.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Joe, It seems like that JP5 smell never goes away after a good soaking. (Inside joke)

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 05-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
All of the above.

If you buy a wall mount dispenser, put it up high enough that shower and soapy water won't regularly coat it, as it will accumulate scum that is hard to remove.

I have a fully stocked toiletry kit, that I carry to public showers.....my preference....and then pull needed items from it when I must shower in the Interstate.

Good to avoid duplication, but a wall mounted soap dispenser might be well worth it for some.

Maggie
Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
My wife likes the shower in our 25 FC RB. However I am 6'2" and weigh 250 and I will say that it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. With full hookup there is plenty of hot water. The seat slash wheel well makes it a little harder than it should be.
Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
We have a oil bronzed Delta temperature control valve shower faucet in our 2008 Classic 25fb. There is no on/off button on the head so I turn the shower valve off when taking "Navy" showers. When I turn the faucet on again the water temperature is still hot.

I decided to try this
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NBMDMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not quite a match for bronze color but close enough. I should've gone with the Venetian Bronze. It has a button on the head. They offer other finishes. I'll test it out this weekend.

I remember once using the showers at Fish Creek campground in Glacier National Park. You get the tokens from the rangers and if you can get in there before the evening rush there is hot water left. The shower is on a timer, can't remember if 5 or 8 minutes but I was done before the shower stopped. I felt bad about wasting water as it ran for several more minutes.

I'd prefer to use my Airstream shower even if it means "Navy" showers.

For those that don't use it, maybe they should pull it out and make it a nice closet space.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #33

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have taken thousands of showers in our Airstreams. We like the shower in the 25FB(s) better that the 23FB. We like them both better than the shower at home.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This has the right look for an Airstream,

http://www.amazon.com/Better-Living-...bxgy_201_img_y