Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
The 7gal hot water heater is adequate for the two of us ... cramped if you shower together, however. Just be judicious and you can easily wash even long hair and not run out of water ... not sure on leg shaving - I have not tried that ; wife does it at home! For more heating capacity, run both the electric and gas heating at the same time. Let us know and congrats on the AS ... you will grow to really enjoy.

~~~~~~ mefly2 ~~~~~>>>
AIR 44105 /WBCCI - formerly 2015-1; Yamaha XT250
:>) ducts are now in a row w / 2015 ducted air :>)
* 2015 Duramax 2500 Diesel * Honda EU3000iS
<>2015 International LE Eddie Bauer FB25<>
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we never use camp ground showers or toilets. If you have full hook ups you will be fine. Turn the shower on and set the right temp for you; Because the outside water is never the same temp, you need to find where to put the mixer handle. I usually tell my wife what position worked for my shower and she can use that as a starting point. Get wet, turn off, soap up, rinse, turn off, shampoo hair, rinse, turn off. By turn off, I mean the shower head button. I use a combination shampoo/conditioner to eliminate one more rinse. You should get about two days before emptying your gray tank or just leave it open. [never leave your black tank open] We have never run out of hot water. [two showers and dish washing] Sometimes a shower/bath for the little dog too.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:48 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I second what Robert does and we have plenty of hot water with a 6 gallon gas only heater. The key is turning the water off with the valve on the shower head in between rinses. I only have a 14 gallon grey water tank so I use a 18 gallon blue boy with wheels and dump it daily when I don't have full hookups. I had a SOB with gas/electric w/h and found electric only led to a cold shower as the recovery was slow. Gas has much faster recovery time.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:08 AM   #18
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Here is a thought...
We have water softener a. I use them not only for pressurized city connections, but to fill the fresh water tanks as well. We find that by having soft water on demand both ways gives soap, shampoo, and shaving cream greater efficacy, and extends hot water even farther. We can use less water doing dishes as well. Having soft water is not only a luxury, but keeps mineral buildup at a minimum. The hot water tank is clean when drained, and everything else is clog free. Water feel and purity is important to me.

We use a per filter with a carbon element to get rid of sediment and any bad taste first then a FloPur mk8000 softener. The softener regeneration uses a 33 cent box of table salt every week, and the filter is $11 every 6 months. Total investment is about $250.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1399810095.455055.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	402.8 KB
ID:	211650
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:20 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2014 27' FB International
Camas , Washington
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I'm a fan of the 30 minute luxurious shower. At home. In the trailer (27FB Flying Cloud) it's strictly Navy showers. I got a valve at Home Depot that screws in between the shower head and hose so I can fully shut off water flow as needed and open it up with one hand. While a bit more challenging, I prefer it to camp site showers. It's mine after all. Always preferable to someone else's if at all possible :-)

I think we can get 3-4 days on the gray tank before needing to empty. I just love how self contained it all is!
Thank you SteveSueMac, the valve sounds like a good idea.
SillyRosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:22 AM   #20

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Between the two Airstreams and the two of us, we have roughly 3,000 Airstream showers under our belts. Here is our assessment of the situation. In over 1,400 nights of Airstream camping over an eight year period, we have NEVER taken a shower in a campground shower facility. We generally take showers for as long as we please, and the hot water has never run out. It is a little tight, but still quite comfortable. We use an aftermarket shower head from Camping World with an in-line cut off. This works so well that we moved it to our new Airstream.

SuEllyn does her hair, including coloring, in the Airstream shower, and has for years.

I think that the shower in the Airstream is great. I would rather shower in the Airstream than in the house.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
While I in particular, like longer showers, we found that the 6 gallon hot water capacity to be just fine. However, since our shower head has and on/off feature, we have adopted more or less a "Navy" shower routine. While we don't go out of our way to worry about proximity, if a campground shower facilities are close by and in good shape, we will also use them as well.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:05 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member
2013 30' Flying Cloud
Thornton , Colorado
We love taking a shower in our Airstream. I can't think of anything more relaxing after a day of hiking, mountain biking, chopping wood etc. than getting a nice hot shower, enjoying a coctail and preparing dinner. We do use the Navy shower method, but neither the wife or I have ever run out of hot water. We've never had to worry about filling the grey tank. Our AS is parked on our mountain property and we have a septic system.
MiTTco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #23

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

They have their own drawbacks and don't work especially well with really cold incoming water, which is what we have in Minnesota. I don't think it's worth it, in my situation at least.
If you are fortunate and have a dual fuel water heater and have an electric hookup, you can run with electric and gas concurrently. This cuts recovery time considerably and extends the hot water supply for showers. Typically we run the water heater on electric only and just before we jump in the shower, we turn on the gas switch. This really makes a difference in locales that have cold water supplies.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
2011 Interstate Coach
Denver/Boulder , Colorado
noted you mentioned a "dispenser" for soap and such? I'm buying my first AS, and it's an Interstate...I've noticed most of them have dispensers in that small wet bath...but the used one I'm buying it is not there. Do you konw where to buy those? As in, I agree that should help reduce time in the shower - and also looks cleaner as well. thx1
MJ in Colorado!
mjwcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Check out Bed Bath and Beyond for soap and shampoo dispensers.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
We have USED our AS features. Proper care and cleaning and life is fine.

When on "full hookups", showers are not "limited". I run the Electric and Propane and it "keeps up" with plenty of heat. My wife can even use hot water in the galley.

After shower, shut off propane and leave electric on.

When no "sewer" is provided, we resort to "navy" shower.

- get in the shower with all your cleaning stuff before setting temp.
- spray water to drain and set temp.
- if you have a "cut off" on the shower head you can control flow there. We don't. So I just push the control off when I am soaping up. Then I aim shower to the drain so I don't burn myself.
- start at head so water can wet as it runs down.
- shut off water
- soap head and rest of body with your flavors. Add water as necessary to "suds up". Soap face LAST!!!
- rinse down.
- wife sits on the bench so she doesn't worry about slipping.

Now, a couple tricks.. With a small tub pre soap your washcloth really well. Makes it quick to dip for more suds. Use LIQUID soaps. So you can work with concentrations to fit your liking. For us, about Quarter size in a quart of warm water is just right. Of course if really dirty, you can add soap as you go.

If you have one of the "wall dispensers" that might prefer using that.

For shaving, my wife uses a tub of hot water for cleaning the razor then uses the temp setting process as mentioned above.

Remember, using minimal water is a manageable and it actually teaches you a lot about your habits like leaving water run while doing dishes, brushing teeth, etc. if you must run the water, do it at the end to dilute and flush the "traps" and rinse bits down the pipe.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Box Elder , South Dakota
We switched over to the Oxygenics brand shower head. The problem I had was banging into the walls trying to wash. I finally realized that if I sit down, I can take my shower without bruising my knees and elbows. I am tall and light on girth. One of these days I want to try and see how little water I am using per shower.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 PM   #28
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Funny, but while I was in the Navy (20yrs) onboard ships and submarines I never took a Navy shower, I regularly took 2 a days. Only time I didn't was when we had no water, then no showers, only once for a few days, spoiled Navy guys.
At home I take Navy showers, get in, get wet, turn water to a trickle so it's easy to get some to use, then rinse off. Still take 2 a days sometimes but not as often as when on the ship. Don't get that diesel/jet fuel grime covered feeling as much at home.
Still getting my AS back together, so we'll see how those showers go, replaced the original 6 gal propane only with a 6 gal propane electric for a little extra water.

HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote