Old 03-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

2008 27' Classic FB
Vista , California
Unhappy Shower leaks 2008 classic

The shower in our 2008 classic FB, leakes under the wall below the shower door. I tried to calk all around the door and under the threshold. Still leaked.
Next I removed the wall between the closet and the shower, no small task.
I found some screws that came through the fiberglass liner of the shower, calked those, reinstalled the wall etc., still leaked.
Can anybody out there help. I am calked to death.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
William

Welcome to the forum. Sorry about your leak. Most of us have had water leaks, so we know how frustrated you are. You may want to load some photos, so we can help you better.

Dan

Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
William-Dont know if your still having the problem. I was getting water leakage around the corner of the shower door. The problem as far as I can tell is the plastic strip that is on the bottom of the shower door had a quarter inch space that was allowing water out. I tried to get Airstream to fix it but had no luck. Finally I bought a clear shower curtain and installed it inside the shower. Doesn't look too bad and leak problem is gone.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #4

shower leak

Hi,

We have a 2000 excella 30. Same problem, water comes into tray on the shower door and leaks. Tried all sorts of caulking (everywhere) with no success. Installed shower curtain and fixed some of the problem. Still have occasional leak.

SK
Old 05-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosch View Post
William-Dont know if your still having the problem. I was getting water leakage around the corner of the shower door. The problem as far as I can tell is the plastic strip that is on the bottom of the shower door had a quarter inch space that was allowing water out. I tried to get Airstream to fix it but had no luck. Finally I bought a clear shower curtain and installed it inside the shower. Doesn't look too bad and leak problem is gone.

I had the same problem. Water was getting by the ENDS of the clear lip seal on the bottom of the shower door frame. I used a clear silicone sealer to build up a "dam" connecting the ENDS of the seal (bottom door sweep) to the vertical door frame members. Cured the issue completely.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I have a 2006 and mine was doing the same. At first I thought it was the door gasket at the bottom but when I looked closely, it wasn't leaking out of the front and there was no water from the door to the floor anywhere. It was coming out from the wall at the bottom.

I took the door off and removed as much trim as I could. I caulked this area and replaced the trim. I also noticed that my shower stall has a seam that runs around the whole thing as if the enclosure came in two pieces and this seam was caulked at the factory. Part of the caulking was missing from use or neglect by the installers. I caulked this and bingo, no more leaks. I don't know if it was this seam or if it was all the caulking around the door, but I got it stopped.

Good luck.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Willoughby , Ohio
Ours used to do the same and on a trip to Jackson Center, we had them look at it. Turns out the shower door had been installed backward or upside-down (I can't remember which). They put a new door in and it hasn't leaked since (although I probably just jinxed it by saying that).
2005 28' CCD, 2011 Sierra 5.3L, Equal-I-Zer
Empty Nesters - spending our money on OURSELVES for a change!
Steve & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I was getting a lot of water out from behind the shower face frame at the floor.

Turned out, the cheap caulk used at the shower enclosure seam (where the two fiberglass sections come together) had failed. It looked OK, but after completely removing all the old stuff, cleaning, and recaulking, the leak disappeared.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
William, are you still there? If I understand your post of 2 months ago, water is coming out from under the wall under the shower door.

That could mean a leak from a lot of places: shower pan or wall, drain, hot or cold pipes to the shower, shower valve, somewhere nearby. If you haven't solved this yet, look for water tracks in the dust or water stains to investigate where the source is.

The screws coming through the shower liner sounds like shoddy workmanship. Replace with shorter screws and seal the holes on both sides. Sealing holes, cracks and such from leaks should occur mostly on the side where the water is coming from, but as a safety measure on both sides. There are epoxies made to seal cracks in the shower walls and floor. Check out this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...elp-56051.html

Sorry your initial question never got a lot of answers—usually questions like this get a lot of responses, but yours fell through the cracks.

Gene
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
This is the seam, after I'd cleaned out all the old caulk

Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

O'Fallon , Missouri
Same problem...I was convinced leak was coming from under the shower. Tried the shower curtain solution and no more leaks.

But I dislike the curtain so I calked around the door and rail, kept as much as possible the spray away from the door and almost no leak. I did notice one thing though...when I opened the door a stream of water started down the outside of the shower to the floor. It was either released from the door rail or just running down the door.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswbe View Post
Same problem...I was convinced leak was coming from under the shower. Tried the shower curtain solution and no more leaks.

But I dislike the curtain so I calked around the door and rail, kept as much as possible the spray away from the door and almost no leak. I did notice one thing though...when I opened the door a stream of water started down the outside of the shower to the floor. It was either released from the door rail or just running down the door.
Yeah, The water lays in the lower frame, just like at home, and drips off onto the floor when opened. But we keep a big thick comfy bath mat there that catches all that. No biggie.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote