Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Shower drain clog, arggg

Everything was fine, i have many showers under my belt. Last night, all but last bit of water, a half cup or so goes down.

I am just starting this trip so tanks are fine. I went and purchased a small plunger, with each pull up I get a whosh of water and sand. Then I remember. Although not used much..the PO had two kids and he mentioned he went to the beach. My guess is a nice little sand mound is in my drain. How do I get that out? As I said I've had about 10 showers and this is first time it has reared it sandy head. I don't even know if I can use it again unless I get this figured out.
I am not happy
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Are you sure the gray tank isn't full? The shower is the first place you will see a full condition backup.

If it is just sand, I would bring in a garden hose with a nozzle on it and try to flush the sand down into the tank, past the p-trap. Then flush the tank well with the dump valve open to prevent sand contamination to the seals.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbb View Post
Everything was fine, i have many showers under my belt. Last night, all but last bit of water, a half cup or so goes down.

I am just starting this trip so tanks are fine. I went and purchased a small plunger, with each pull up I get a whosh of water and sand. Then I remember. Although not used much..the PO had two kids and he mentioned he went to the beach. My guess is a nice little sand mound is in my drain. How do I get that out? As I said I've had about 10 showers and this is first time it has reared it sandy head. I don't even know if I can use it again unless I get this figured out.
I am not happy
Dumb question… If you've had about 10 showers, have you drained the gray-water tank? First rule of troubleshooting is, "check the easy things first," so before you look for a clog remover, make sure the tank is empty. Besides, if you do have to disassemble anything to solve the problem, that will be easier with an empty tank, too.

If the tank is empty, you may be able to use a wet-vac to suck up any sand, or use compressed air to blow the sand all the way down to the tank where hopefully you can drain it out the slinky. The advantage to using compressed air instead of water to clear the trap is, if it doesn't work, you're not making the standing water problem any worse.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:02 AM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
My tanks were emptied yesterday AM, this is first used with them this trip. I will open a smidge to make sure though, since it cant hurt. My pump is off and I am not hooked to city water, so no leaking in I am aware of. The sand part is real...question is how much? I also purchase a little screen to put on top of factory drain protecter, i figure easier to clean.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am sorry, I did not make myself clear. I have had one shower this trip, but 10 total since purchasing the AS used in December, all other times fine, Infact i always put a little odor control and some water down after every flush and it was fine, when I did that Monday. I like you're ideas, will have to wait til I get home on 8th. On 10th I start a 2 week boon dock, and I am boon docked now, all for work. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am leery to do anything that might mess up the pipes, so suction of wet vac ok to do? Or sending compressed air down? Just checking.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
My tanks were emptied yesterday AM, this is first used with them this trip. I will open a smidge to make sure though, since it cant hurt. My pump is off and I am not hooked to city water, so no leaking in I am aware of. The sand part is real...question is how much? I also purchase a little screen to put on top of factory drain protecter, i figure easier to clean.
If you try my wet-vac or compressed air suggestions, definitely do it with an open valve, so you don't put the gray tank under too much suction or pressure.

Handy hint for the future, a metal dental pick works well for reaching into the drain to pull up hair clogs. Not much good for sand, though…
Old 06-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Ahhh on dental pic, i once lost grip of the toilet scrubbie handle and had to go in black tank almost up to elbow for retrieval, fear allows you to do most everything. I emptied grey again, same water in drain...so wet vac on Monday it is. thanks, will let you know. I guess people do not realize trailers and showers are not like home, need to be delicate, perhaps rinse off before using inside, better yet maybe a pool.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I guess people do not realize trailers and showers are not like home, need to be delicate, perhaps rinse off before using inside, better yet maybe a pool.
One excellent reason for my Airstream's outside shower fitting.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
No kidding, I think there is outside shower on this unit too. Funny thing, I was at Penn Wood Airstream Park Thursday night, now I am in Painesville, Ohio working, Sunday back atPenn Wood, then Monday-Saturday, Shore Haven Airstream Park at Jersey Shore, I bet those Airstreams deal with a lot of sand.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #11
Globey

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Wayne , Pennsylvania
What a great forum. I am a newbie and just took a shower on my second trip out and the shower clogged or was not draining. I thought great this will be a pain. I didn't think I had built up that much grey water but after reading the thread I check the tank levels and yep that was it. Went out in the dark, hooked up the discharge hose and that was it. Thanks for all of the great info!
scottj is offline   Reply With Quote