Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Planerider

2007 30' Classic S/O
Clermont , Florida
Unhappy Shower Door Leak 2007, Classic SO

i sure wish Airstream would figure out how to keep the doors on these shower's from leaking. i have read all of the other posts so i will try them next. Bates tried to fix it over 3 years ago and we still have a problem. leaking from under the door on to the floor.
planerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Leaking on the hinge end, lower corner?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
Planerider

2007 30' Classic S/O
Clermont , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by planerider View Post
i sure wish Airstream would figure out how to keep the doors on these shower's from leaking. i have read all of the other posts so i will try them next. Bates tried to fix it over 3 years ago and we still have a problem. leaking from under the door on to the floor.
What is really strange is that you can not see the water actually leaking down from the shower, it just appears on the bottom right corner under the panel on the floor. Do you think we should take the door off to fix this problem? Thanks for the feedback.
planerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
After messing with mine for a year, I found what seems to have worked. It is the bottom track (which has the seal strip in it) being not parallel and not the right distance from the door bottom. I removed the bottom frame from the wood and built up the low end with small strips of wood. Upon reinstallation, I sealed the INSIDE portion to the fiberglass. I also put a dab of Clear silicone at each end of the seal itself, sealing its ends to the fiberglass wall.

This has stopped 99% of the leakage. If I still "drown" the area, a few drops will get out. It's just not a very good design seal.

I also keep a plush 100% cotton bath rug right up against the sill so any water that gets out is wicked up right away.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I have finally got my shower water tight. I took the door and framing off and removed the plastic flashing. If yours was like mine the flashing on the hinge side was buckling in several places. Theoretically if caulk the channel that fits on the shower enclosure edge that should prevent water from making it to the void between the wood framing and the shower enclosure. I decided to fill the void with rubber butyl. It comes in a roll. I just pushed some in the void and caulked the flashing. Make sure you run a thin bead or clear caulk around the shower door frame and C channel. For the threshold, I removed it and filled in that void too.

Here is another thread where I talked about it in more detail
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f446...ml#post1305088

I used a beige or biscuit colored caulk for around the flashing and clear for the door frame.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote