Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
show fixture/head connection

Flushing all systems and familiarizing myself with all plumbing workings before I venture out with her (2006 Bambi SE 19'), everything worked fine except the shower. No water through the shower workings at all. I unscrewed the shower line and found 2 items in the connector (checkvalve?), a white piece of plastic and rubber disk, both about the size of a dime. Taking the 2 items out, and connecting back to shower line, water flows through the head, but leaks around the connection (bad). Disconnecting the shower line, water shoots out unobstructedly. I believe I should replace all 3 items, the connector (threads slightly stripped), and the 2 items within. Moen nor Alsons cannot identify either to replace items. Both state that the connection belongs to the other.

I have contacted Ferguson (sp) plumbing supplier of Moen personally, with items in hand...they could not identify parts; Moen customer help line stated it probably was not their connector (?) Moen is the fixture brand and Alsons is name printed on head itself. The problem is inside the connector. between the handle assembly and shower head that the shower line screws into. Clear???? Please help (if you can understand what I described)
mocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We did the same thing a year or two ago. Those two little plastic pieces need to be re-installed, and properly oriented, or the shower sprayer won't work. It may take a couple of attempts at switching the parts around and flipping them over, before you get them back in the original configuration, but there are only a few combinations to try.

If all else fails, an Airstream dealer should have the parts you need.

If the connectors are cross threaded, you might try this trick. GENTLY push the mating parts together. Then, screw them in the LOOSENING direction until they click. Then, GENTLY, reverse directions and tighten the connectors. If they aren't cross threaded all the way down, the threads may straighten out. If you do this with NEW parts, it will decrease the chances of cross threading.

After I got the sprayer working again, I have left it alone. I plan to wait until the flow is seriously restricted before taking this thing apart, again.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
That sounds like good, sound advice. Going outside now and willgiver a try. Let me ask ya this.....If all else fails, where and the heck do ya get new parts for the fitting. If Moen and Alsons don't claim it......Thank ya much for the fast reply.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
You could also consider replacing the whole shower head and hose with an Oxygenics. The shower feels much more forceful with less water, it's a big improvement over stock. They have them on sale at CW all the time for around $40.00.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Johnco,

Thanks for the tip. I'd like to replace the shower sprayer and hose, as it doesn't work very well in the first place. I know that Airstream is probably trying to save weight, but it seems like they could have replaced a lot of the plastic parts in the trailer with metal, for durability.

At home, we have a shower head like this one: Amazon.com: Alsons 652 C Incredible Head Power Shower Head, Chrome: Home Improvement

Not sure if this the exact same shower head, as it appears the original manufacturer (Resources Conservation, Inc.) sold the patent and manufacturing rights. However, it looks like this one. Some reviews say this model is available at Home depot for under $10.

Now, I just need a handle and hose.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
That is probably the best idea--changing the head and line. What I am curious about is does the new one have the same innerworkings/connectiion type as my "what-ever-it-is," Moen or Alsons. I presume the dime-size parts inside the connection, are working as a check valve? I cannot see any other reason for them being there. Didn't have a lot of time to spend working in the trailer today--pressure washing the house. I did manage to slow the leak to some degree but didn't spend a lot of time with it. Thanks to all. I am sure she is going to work soon---I would sure hate to spunge bathe for a month or so.....
Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
I screwed the showerhead onto the existing hose because I wanted to utilize the existing hanger that's on the end of the hose. The Oxygenics comes complete with a new hose and I'm pretty sure it would just screw into the outlet by the faucet. Here is an image of what the showerhead looks like.
Attached Images

Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Hayes , Virginia
Guess what....no more leaking. After several attempts, I added another washer within the connection, another over threads that the shower line connects and thus far. No leaks. The only I visualized in purchasing new line and head was the fact I had the same connection on the faucet side, where the leak was. I do want to order a "guts," replacement and would do so if I knew where to order or purchase. Any one? I think my next project will be the Hoover Dam, I understand there is a small leak and It couldn't take as long as this project has. Thank you all for your input and suggestions. Until next time (hoping I manage to find the proper place to post.....In time---please bear with me.....