Old 12-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Camera

The folks where we store our AS use a camera to see where black tank problems are located. Then they use a high pressure wand with multiple nozzle flows to break up the problem areas. Looked like they were having fun this afternoon. Pat

Old 12-21-2015, 08:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
I have tried a toilet wand that has four ports at the end of the wand that spins at a rapid rate. I shoved it down the toilet and turned it on full blast hoping to push the clog down into the tank. The water just backed up close to the flush valve so the pressure wasn't enough to push the clog down.

Not sure what else to do but to snake the toilet. Has anyone down this in an RV toilet? Is there anything else I should try before the snake? I can't reach the clog to pull it up and out. The blank tank sensor reads empty so the clog, I believe, is up high and not in the blank tank yet.

I have a 2011 28' FC. Thanks in advance.
Could you be more specific about the problem and what you actually can see? Your post does not make sense to me.

Isn't your toilet sitting directly on top of the black water tank? If so, how could you be "hoping to push the clog down into the tank?" Could you actually see the clog? Where -- in the bottom of the toilet?

You say, "I can't reach the clog to pull it up and out." Can you see the clog? Where? If it is "up high" where do you think it is? What is between the bottom of the toilet and the black water tank?

Does your owners manual provide a schematic of the waste plumbing which shows what is between the toilet and the black water tank?

Please provide more details, and the results of the steps you have taken already.

Thanks

Old 12-21-2015, 10:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The folks where we store our AS use a camera to see where black tank problems are located. Then they use a high pressure wand with multiple nozzle flows to break up the problem areas. Looked like they were having fun this afternoon. Pat
One time I would not want to be looking over their shoulder as they work.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:00 PM   #18
TinGrin

2000 25' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
Always must be carefu about punching go a hole in the tank with a snake. My advice (retired mobile rv tech) is do not snake it. You can use a long pice of pex pipe with a wrap of duct tape on the end- keeps the back flush from hitting your face- work it slowly around- if it is a clog this can take care of it. If the plastic spinoff from the tank install is the problem, no snake will help. Finally, the deep soak with some Dawn liquid soap can help loosen the mess to drain. Bad problem all the way around- best to be aware to avoid by not leaving drain open al the time.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:32 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

benicia , California
Thanks for the responses everyone.

As I said earlier, I used a toilet wand with spinning jets. The water level in the toilet rose up to just below the flush valve and wouldn't go down. I decided to attack it the next day with a snake. I was pleasantly surprised to discover the water level had seeped through the solid material, exposing the clog. I used a two foot long tool with pincers at the end to pull up and out all the wadded up toilet paper and the nastiness. It was gross. However, I was able to unclog the toilet.

The clog was stuck at the neck of the black tank. The only thing I can think of as the cause is I was too frugal with flushing since I was boondocking. Also, temps dropped to 29 degrees F which may have frozen the nasty stuff that didn't get enough water to drop into the black tank. Anyway, I am glad the ordeal is over.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York

Thanks for the details. Difficult to think about while I am enjoying my morning coffee and toast, however!

So is there a horizontal run of waste pipe under the toilet, leading to the black tank where the clog happened? If so, is there also a 90 elbow sending the waste down into the BW tank? It would be helpful to know these details for future reference, as my toilet is directly over the BW tank.

Thanks, glad it all "came out" OK!

Peter
Old 12-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

benicia , California
No horizontal pipe leading to the tank. It's a straight shot down. Below the actual bowl and flush valve, there is another small chamber and below that is the neck of the black tank. The clog was at the neck of the black tank, which is about two feet below the toilet seat.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
No horizontal pipe leading to the tank. It's a straight shot down. Below the actual bowl and flush valve, there is another small chamber and below that is the neck of the black tank. The clog was at the neck of the black tank, which is about two feet below the toilet seat.
Quote:
[snip]
The clog was stuck at the neck of the black tank. The only thing I can think of as the cause is I was too frugal with flushing since I was boondocking.
[snip]
Your diagnosis sounds right IMO. Good to know . . .

Thanks again.

Peter