Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Should check valve leak a little?

I noticed the check valve on the output line of the water pump leaks a little, and was wondering if this is normal for these valves? I realized this because I am connected to city water and have the output line disconnected from the pump, and noticed a steady drip.

What is the purpose of this valve anyway? To prevent city water from running through the pump and overflowing the freshwater tank? If so, why not just use a shut off in place of the check valve? When on city water, keep the shut off closed. When on freshwater tank, open the shut off and close a shut off on the line just past the city water inlet just prior to the pump.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
In general there is no check valve on the line which goes into the pump, an internal one does the job. It is possible that the PAR pump that your rig came with had one though, it is hard to tell what the factory did and did not. Or a PO could have added it. But, no, it is not something which should leak.

Check valves rather than positive valves are put in for convenience. Who wants to remember to turn off a pump water line when hooked to city water.

Again, usually no check valves on the pump line anyway as they are internal to the pump.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I think I understand what you are saying. Just to clarify, this valve is on the OUTPUT side of the pump. I have the line disconnected and noticed it dripping some <city> water.

So are you saying that I can remove the valve, and that as long as the output line is connected to the water pump, an internal valve inside the pump will prevent water from flowing into the freshwater tank?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
BTW, what do you think the reason for the installation of the check valve might have been? What convenience does it provide?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba
Check valves rather than positive valves are put in for convenience. Who wants to remember to turn off a pump water line when hooked to city water.

Perhaps a dumb question, but what's a positive valve?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
On my 71 and 73 the only "check valve" was on the city water inlet line. I think the main purpose is a pressure relief valve. It will leak if city water pressure is too high.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
On my 71 and 73 the only "check valve" was on the city water inlet line. I think the main purpose is a pressure relief valve. It will leak if city water pressure is too high.
Yes, I also have a pressure regulator on the city water inlet line, which doesn't leak at all. The only leak is at this check valve downstream.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Somewhere in a RV plumbing system there will be a check valve. Sometimes it is built into the pump, sometimes it is external to the pump, and some times there will be both. The purpose is to keep the city water supply from flowing back through the pump and filling and then overflowing the fresh water tank. If the city water system is pressurized and your are getting a drip through the check valve, there may be some foreign material in it or it may be getting old and warn. If any case a drip will take a long time to fill the tank. If it was mine, I would replace it before it gets worse.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote