Old 08-14-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Sewer solution to home sewer-so difficult?

I finally decided to rig some plumbing to dump my tanks to my sewer while in the driveway, too hard to not use the plumbing on the last day of the trip.
I read posts, the brochure and it seemed simple to rig with 1" PVC pipe. But I took the Sewer Solution connector to Lowe's and the connector fit nothing in the PVC bins...nothing! The connector has an OD of 0.9" and that does not match with anything.
Finally in the CPVC section I found a push connector with FPT on one end and a push in fitting that accepted the SS connector. I screwed that to a PVC adaptor and slapped it on the 1" pipe. I won't be able to tell if this accommodation is leak proof until I next get the trailer in the driveway. It looks pretty but I hope it holds water.
The fitting on the SS sewer pipe end has a bushing marked 1/2", but I tried an identical bushing the PVC area and the hole is too small for the connector, barely. I will probably file one of those out as a backup plan.
It seems that Sewer Solution heats their 3/4 tubing before inserting the connector; you can see the larger diameter at the location of the connector. But decent 3/4 drain tubing would have cost 3 times the price of larger 1" PVC.
I do not understand the couple of posts indicating how simple it was to insert the SS connector into a PVC fitting?
Anyone else done this?

Larry

Old 08-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Just purchased a sewer solution and am waiting for it to arrive. I'm planning on using additional 3/4 inner diameter hose, so am curious about these fittings as well.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Actually the SS connector is 7/8" OD, I think standard 7/8 Al tubing. A 1/2 busing or PVC pipe is .848" vs, the .875 connector. I tried reaming a busing with my dremel tool, too aggressive. I tried another bushing by hand and it is not perfectly circular. I am going to get some Al tubing and seal it in the hole with silicone. That will connect up to my SS hose.

Larry
Old 08-15-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky

What a pain. Al is aluminum tubing? I guess this is SS way of trying to get people to purchase their expensive hoses.

Don't they recommend using 3/4 PVC for long runs? I wonder what the recommended fittings are in those cases.

I've read of some removing the included hose and replacing with longer lengths of 3/4 garden hose. Not sure what's going on with the fittings to make this difficult? Still waiting for mine to arrive. Hopefully it will be more clear once it gets here.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Long Beach , California
Hello Isbrodsky:

I purchased a sewer solution last year so I could do exactly what you're doing. I wanted to use an existing exterior clean out that was on the opposite side of my house. My instructions recommended 1" PVC pipe for my 70 foot run. I didn't want anything permanent so only fitted the PVC together by hand, (no glue). When finished I separate the sections and store them behind the garage. I used a very short piece of old hose to make the bend into the clean out.

I purchased everything from Home Depot, but needed to look in both the plumbing section and the sprinkler sections, to find all that I needed.

It works for me, but I don't know why they recommend 1" PVC pipe. I only get a small flow over that distance but it does empty my tanks while I'm doing something else. It's not rapid like the stinky slinky.

If I was in a hurry my blu-boy would be faster.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
You guys are way over-engineering this thing. I have been using my Sewer Solution in conjunction with 1" PVC for years with no leaks or problems.

The run from the Airstream to the sewer clean-out at our house is about 50'. The one at SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville is almost 100'.

All I do is remove the PVC with the aluminum fitting from the rubber SS sewer connection. A piece of 1" PVC pipe slides right into it. On the other end of the PVC pipe I use a simple 1" double female connector. I put one end on the PVC pipe. I put the SS connector with the aluminum fitting in the other end of the connector. Then I put the green SS flexible hose on the aluminum fitting.

All done, and I'm ready to dump Lucy's tanks.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Agree, some as usual around here are over thinking and kitchen table engineering a simple process. Simple is best in this case. When parked at my house it is 35 ft slight down hill to the sewer clean out. I have 20 ft of SS hose. I use 20 ft if 1.5 inch PVC pipe with a 1 ft L drop on one end to make up the needed distance. One end of the hose goes into the pipe. The other end of the pipe goes into the sewer clean out. Flush and shed away. No muss and no fuss. Simple and easy works every time. When not in use pipe hangs on the fence out of the way. I have been using this process for 4 years with never a spill or overflow.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1439690753.497565.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	245580

Photo of pipe

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-16-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
You guys are way over-engineering this thing. I have been using my Sewer Solution in conjunction with 1" PVC for years with no leaks or problems.

The run from the Airstream to the sewer clean-out at our house is about 50'. The one at SuEllyn's Dad's house in Jacksonville is almost 100'.

All I do is remove the PVC with the aluminum fitting from the rubber SS sewer connection. A piece of 1" PVC pipe slides right into it. On the other end of the PVC pipe I use a simple 1" double female connector. I put one end on the PVC pipe. I put the SS connector with the aluminum fitting in the other end of the connector. Then I put the green SS flexible hose on the aluminum fitting.

All done, and I'm ready to dump Lucy's tanks.

Brian

Brian,
I did exactly the same about 3 years ago as you described. Th 1" PVC comes in 10' sections, I cut mine into 5' sections, and cemented a couple on 1 end only of each piece. This allows me to take it all apart and stow in th back of the truck. I carry 100' of PVC.
A piece of 1" aluminum conduit, or rigid copper will make an excellent splice, a couple wraps of duct tape, or Gorrila tape makes a leak proof connection between the SS tubing and the PVC.
Simple, quick, and it works.

For what ever it's worth.

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Great forum! I now see that the simple solution is tuck the connector inside the 1" PVC, even though the connector is smaller. I believe I need a leak proof solution as I have no grade between the trailer and the sewer. I do not want sewage coming out of that connection. I am still going to fabricate a sealed bushing with a connector in it, glued to the PVC, so I can just slip the hose over the connector. I ordered some standard 7/8 aluminum tubing to make my own connector. I put screwed unions every 20 Ft on the PVC to take it apart and stow it under the deck. Thanks all.

Larry
Old 08-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Having a bit of a down hill grade is what makes my home system work. Otherwise it could easily become a messy problem.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Confused ...
So Valterra has a custom fitting on their Sewer Solution that is not available to the rest of the world?
This I'll have to see in person someday.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Rivet Master

It isn't custom. They use standard 7/8 aluminum tubing as their connectors into 3/4 hose. This is all about connecting that to 1" pvc pipe for a sewer connection at home.
I believe my setup will work but I need to get the trailer home to try it. It will be leak proof, for sure.
Larry
Old 08-16-2015, 04:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
It isn't custom. They use standard 7/8 aluminum tubing as their connectors into 3/4 hose. This is all about connecting that to 1" pvc pipe for a sewer connection at home.

Aha ... thanks!
The armchair QB/pipe fitter in me wonders ...
Then why not a short piece of their hose clamped onto the 7/8 aluminum as in an extention with a standard hose fitting clamped on the other end (discharge), then hose fitting to 3/4 inch pipe thread, then pipe thread to PVC?