Old 09-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
chattanooga , Tennessee
Sanitizing my fresh water tank

What is the best procedure to sanitize my fresh water tank and hoses? I have a 2017 Flying Cloud 30. Thanks

Mooch

micmooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
For the tank I believe you will find procedure in owners manual. Iíll let them explain.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
There are a few different methods, and the simplest is using 1/2 cup of bleach to flush and sanitize your fresh water tank. All procedures and methods are discussed extensively here on the forum using the search. Happy Reading.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
From Airstream's spring checklist on their website:
1/4 cup of bleach for each 15 gallons of fresh water.
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...reparation.pdf

my procedure:
I connect all of my fresh water hoses together, then connect to them water source to flush water through them to remove any water left from prior use. (not into the fresh water tank)
Turn off water, drain hoses. Insert male hose end into the fresh water tank fill opening. Pour about DOUBLE the recommended quantity of bleach into the female end of the hose, using a funnel. Reconnect female end of the hose to water source. Bleach/water mixture flows through the hoses into the water tank. (this helps sanitize the hoses)
When the tank is 90%+ full, I turn on the pump and run water through each faucet, shower, and toilet, until I smell the chlorine, so that all fresh water pipes are sanitized in the process. Then fill the fresh water tank completely. I leave this overnight, but Airstream says 4 hours.

ps:
When my white hoses start looking nasty, I fill the hose with water and connect the ends together, while coiled inside a 5 gal bucket filled with water/chlorine bleach. Filling the hoses with water keeps them from floating. I soak them overnight or longer. This helps keep them white.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Monmouth , Illinois
sanitizing

A 1/4 cup of bleach pour into your tank, let set for a few hours, run kitchen sink faucet, bathroom sink faucet, shower, until you smell bleach, let stand overnight, then run water through all faucets until you run the tank dry, fill tank with fresh water then flush all pipes and faucets. Do same with hoses
Dschonfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Huntsville , Alabama
A. W.,
Thanks for posting your procedure.

Never thought about sanitizing the white hoses...
Old 09-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
Water System Sanitizing

Water Filter in Galley must be disconnected – put straight pipe in its place. (Pipe is located under sink.)

39 Gallons of water in tank.

39 Gal. X 13 = 5.07 oz. of bleach – mix in jug with water.

Pour in water tank for 4 hour process.

Cut to 1 Hour multiply – 5.07 oz. X 2 = 10.14 oz. of bleach – mix in jug with water and pour in water tank for 1 hour.

Open all faucets (hot and cold) allowing the water to run until distinct odor of chlorine is detected.

When contact time is completed, drain tank.

Refill with potable water.

Purge plumbing fixtures of chlorine – until no smell is coming out.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 01:47 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Lady's Island , South Carolina
Older model.

How often to drain/flush/sanitize?
Annual or more frequent?
booma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by booma View Post
How often to drain/flush/sanitize?
Annual or more frequent?
Others may differ, I do it a couple of times a year when I know I will be boon-docking or otherwise may be dependent on the fresh tank for drinking water. I routinely keep water in the fresh tank as well, maybe half full....I'm not concerned about the additional weight.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:28 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Lady's Island , South Carolina
continued useage over the camping season

When the camper is going to be used every month for a 9 month period. Should I drain it after each (mini-trip), or simply top it off with fresh water and a 1/2 cup of bleach?
booma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by booma View Post
When the camper is going to be used every month for a 9 month period. Should I drain it after each (mini-trip), or simply top it off with fresh water and a 1/2 cup of bleach?
If you do not drink or cook with the tank water, OK to top off with bleach IMO. Not sure you need 1/2 cup, depends on tank size etc..

When possible hook up to city water, grey tank sewer and flush flush flush all lines, incl new tank water.

Enjoy the rest of the season!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
For the tank I believe you will find procedure in owners manual. I’ll let them explain.
Ditto...good to see what others do, best to follow the step by step in your manual if you are new at this. We kept a sticky flag at this and other critical pages the first couple of years.

There are also, as others have mentioned, many threads here on this.

We were taught to fill the fresh water tank about half full, add a cup or so of bleach...or a bleach tablet or two, which is simplest...take a drive to allow the bleach water to slosh around and sanitize the entire tank, run the water thru all systems to sanitize them before emptying and flushing out thoroughly.

We/I sanitize at the beginning of the season, only the one time, don’t add bleach with every fill, and have always drunk the water from our tanks with no issues.

Maggie
Old 09-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Ditto...good to see what others do, best to follow the step by step in your manual if you are new at this. We kept a sticky flag at this and other critical pages the first couple of years.

There are also, as others have mentioned, many threads here on this.

We were taught to fill the fresh water tank about half full, add a cup or so of bleach...or a bleach tablet or two, which is simplest...take a drive to allow the bleach water to slosh around and sanitize the entire tank, run the water thru all systems to sanitize them before emptying and flushing out thoroughly.

We/I sanitize at the beginning of the season, only the one time, donít add bleach with every fill, and have always drunk the water from our tanks with no issues.
Maggie
Thanks Maggie...we have the same year Interstate and the step you mentioned to take a drive to allow the bleach water to slosh around makes good sense. Really believe that a simple (but generally effective) method will be more likely used versus a more scientific but laborious one that will either be seldom used or not used at all.
Dan
mything2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #14
International Grey Nomad

1999 35' Cutter Bus Diesel Pusher
Bulahdelah , NSW Australia
If you normally fill from a supply that is chlorinated, then once you have sanitised it once, there should be no need to do it on a regular basis. If you are going to fill from a supply that might be a bit suspect then you can easily emulate a city water chlorination treatment by adding the required amount of plain bleach into the hose before you fill, but note that the amount required is a few teaspoons rather than cupfuls

BTW sloshing the water around is pretty hit and miss. Add the bleach, fill the tank to just overflowing, run water through all taps until you can smell the chlorine, and then top up the tank again and let it sit. That way every part of your system is going to be sanitised

Trip map at Spotwalla
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote