Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #1
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Roof Vent Early Warning System - Save 1000's of $$$$

Here is a tip for you. Leaky sewer vents are so destructive, so deceptive, so sneaky, that I have decided to install an "early warning" system on two of my 3 vent pipes, the two that I can get access to. Both of these vents go into my holding tanks that sit in a pan that I just had to re-build because it was rusted out. Those of you who have "been there, done that" know what I'm talking about. I never want to have a "leaky" sewer vent, ever again! Now, this is a high-tech solution, so follow this very carefully. I am going to tie an old white cotton sock around each vent pipe, up about head height, just below where they come through the roof. The two vent pipes that I can get to are both hidden in closets, so the socks will not be noticable. Then periodically, after it rains, I will feel the socks to see if there is any evidence of moisture!! If I got moisture, then I have a LEAK! SHAZAM! Simple and effective! The price is right, too! Airstream should offer these as a required accessory.

Cheers, Bill

P.S. - I have been haveing all kinds of trouble posting to and reading the Forums. Something is definitely WRONG!!
lebolewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:53 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
excellent idea bill! plus, you know you will always have a clean pair of socks when you go camping!

john
Old 10-16-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

My socks are the larger size 10- 15, will they work too? Do you recommend dress socks or athletic style? I am thinking Athletic.
I wonder if they do take on water will the extra weight cause any problems?
Thank you for your help, If I can verify the correct style of sock I am going to install a set asap!
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Always searching for a place w/low Humidity , FT RVing, N & S, E & W, & in between
Sock selection

Well, let's see. After thinking on it some more, I believe the socks should definitely be used, but clean, and made of COTTON. The Cotton will absorb and hold water effectively. The color is your choice, but I like white. A well used athletic style is ideal, the bigger sizes might have to be cut down in size a bit to go around the vent pipe if the space is tight. So there you have it!

Somewhere, I have seen some kind of material that is initially PINK and then it turns BLUE when it gets wet. Hmmm...... now that has definite possibilities. Bill
Old 10-17-2006, 04:44 AM   #5
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
Somewhere, I have seen some kind of material that is initially PINK and then it turns BLUE when it gets wet. Hmmm...... now that has definite possibilities. Bill
Uh... Bill... uh... I think those things with that material are called... disposable diapers...

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4231370.html

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebolewis
Here is a tip for you. Leaky sewer vents are so destructive, so deceptive, so sneaky, that I have decided to install an "early warning" system on two of my 3 vent pipes, the two that I can get access to. Both of these vents go into my holding tanks that sit in a pan that I just had to re-build because it was rusted out. Those of you who have "been there, done that" know what I'm talking about. I never want to have a "leaky" sewer vent, ever again! Now, this is a high-tech solution, so follow this very carefully. I am going to tie an old white cotton sock around each vent pipe, up about head height, just below where they come through the roof. The two vent pipes that I can get to are both hidden in closets, so the socks will not be noticable. Then periodically, after it rains, I will feel the socks to see if there is any evidence of moisture!! If I got moisture, then I have a LEAK! SHAZAM! Simple and effective! The price is right, too! Airstream should offer these as a required accessory.

Cheers, Bill

P.S. - I have been haveing all kinds of trouble posting to and reading the Forums. Something is definitely WRONG!!
I have quite large supply of used white athletic socks that I had been thinking of throwing away. Now, I'm thinking that I might be able to sell them on Ebay.

If I list them as "RV leaky sewer vent early warning system" would you want a share of each pair that I sell? Or, would selling them on Ebay be cutting into your market?

John
Old 10-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
It wouldn't be too difficult to place two wire loops close together in the material of choice as electrodes to get an indicator similar to the tank monitors we know and love - a 10-year lithium 9 volt battery, a couple of FET transistors, etc., and a LED and you have a high tech moisture intrusion signal...
Old 10-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #8
FT RVing

1976 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher

If I list them as "RV leaky sewer vent early warning system" would you want a share of each pair that I sell?

John
Nah,........no royalties desired. GO FOR IT!! Bill