Old 11-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Reverse Osmosis Water Filter

Has anyone besides me installed a reverse osmosis water filter?

I got tired of lugging bottled water so a couple of weeks ago I installed a filtration system as part of my kitchen refit.

Has anyone else installed one? If so, how is it working for you? I get to try mine out next week....

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #2
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Port Dover , ON Canada
You will enjoy not having to take bottled water with you. We too wanted to avoid the hassle, but opted for a Seagull IV water purifier mounted under the lavatory counter. We use it for drinking and cooking with our tank water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Seagulll IV x-1F.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	326953

ďOne test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinionsĒ
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin ďTexĒ Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

RO systems work pretty well. I have used them at various times over the years. Capacity ( = waiting for water to fill the storage tank) is always an issue. A more subtle problem is the need for a pretty good filter upstream of the RO unit. The membrane cartridges are relatively easy to damage .... The pre-filters need to be changed out fairly regularly (depending on how hard they are working). Given what I've seen of campground water, if anything is going to nuke a membrane, it's in a campground water supply

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
My previous career was in water treatment, so I've installed tons of RO systems in houses, including one for my parents. They're fantastic for home use, but didn't meet my needs for the Airstream. I use the Zerowater pitcher instead, which gets me similar (somewhat better) water quality.

The main down side of a household RO is that it produces around 2-4x as much waste water as drinking water, depending on the model. You can get a a pump that will push the waste back into your hot water supply, or you could feasibly just route it back to your fresh tank. So, there are ways around the waste, but it's an issue that needs to be dealt with when you have a limited water supply.

The RO will continually run water while it's producing water, so your water pump will be cycling a lot. An accumulator tank might help, but there's really no way around that.

The other issue would be winterization. It's really not practical to winterize an RO to leave it in your rig over the winter. You will basically want to remove the entire system and bring it inside over the winter to prevent it from freezing.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Has anyone besides me installed a reverse osmosis water filter?

I got tired of lugging bottled water so a couple of weeks ago I installed a filtration system as part of my kitchen refit.

Has anyone else installed one? If so, how is it working for you? I get to try mine out next week....
Not in my trailer, but I have had one in the house for nearly 30 years. We love it.

Potential cons:
1. They require relatively high pressure to work, 40-80 PSI. The Airstream water pump may or may not provide enough pressure.
2. They waste a lot of water, and that water has to go somewhere. I think they are only about 5% to 25% efficient.

From an RO website:
Depending on the model, most RO filter systems* will discharge 4 to 20 gallons (15.1 L to 75.7 L) of backwash water for every gallon of filtered water it produces.

Efficiency and water pressure required would seem to be key specifications for a unit to install in a trailer.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I was watching the efficiency, the one I purchased claims a one to one efficiency...

I probably wont use it much when running on the tank, I spend a lot of time connected to city and park water so the waste and pressure considerations arenít a huge concern to me.

Old 11-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bev Hills , California
A true RO unit requires a high pressure pump to force water through a semipermeable membrane with brine as the waste, and the amount of waste will need a hookup. A storage tank will not suffice. However it makes no sense to use an RO unit in an RV. They are used to generate drinkable water from sea water by removing the high salt content. That is not necessary if your source of water is not the ocean. All you need is a purifier, not RO. Do not waste your money and the high maintenance time. I know this as I’ve had them on my boat for forty years, but never on my RV
Old 11-04-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithkleinmd View Post
A true RO unit requires a high pressure pump to force water through a semipermeable membrane with brine as the waste, and the amount of waste will need a hookup. A storage tank will not suffice. However it makes no sense to use an RO unit in an RV. They are used to generate drinkable water from sea water by removing the high salt content. That is not necessary if your source of water is not the ocean. All you need is a purifier, not RO. Do not waste your money and the high maintenance time. I know this as Iíve had them on my boat for forty years, but never on my RV
^
X2

Cruising boats...yes. Landlocked AS's not so much.
We use the water from tank for everything 'cept the most important use...Coffee. 👍 Filtered water from home, stored in re-used bottled water 1gal containers.
Our tank water filter.

Bob
🇺🇸

ďWe were young and knew nothing...now we are old and everyone else knows everything.Ē
RLC

"Tahawus"
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Elizabeth and I donít like fluoride in our water. For us, thatís enough reason for trying this mobile experiment. ďNeedĒ is most always a relative term in our modern culture.

The last stretch in the Airstream was four months. We use about a gallon and a half a day for cooking and consumption, taking filtered water from home really isnít an option.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2015 23' Flying Cloud
Palm City , Florida
Water Distiller

I found a one gallon water distiller works 4.0 for me. Use the water in my Ice maker too. Just set it up outside and keeps the heat out in summer. Winter time I recover the energy for a warm interior.
tmwinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Elizabeth and I donít like fluoride in our water. For us, thatís enough reason for trying this mobile experiment. ďNeedĒ is most always a relative term in our modern culture.

The last stretch in the Airstream was four months. We use about a gallon and a half a day for cooking and consumption, taking filtered water from home really isnít an option.

Try a large Zero Water pitcher. It removes Flouride...and alot more at a fraction the cost of a RO system.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the objective is stuff like chlorine and fluorides, anything with a decent carbon cartridge in it will do a fine job. It will happen more quickly and a lot more cheaply than with an RO. The RO's big claim to fame is knocking down water hardness ( = getting rid of calcium and other minerals).

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 04:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerwiz View Post
Try a large Zero Water pitcher. It removes Flouride...and alot more at a fraction the cost of a RO system.

Itís already installed up under my cooktop.

At about $130 with a spare set of filters it wasnít all that expensive. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1997.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	326991

I didnít take any pictures of the instal.... I canít say why I didnít take pictures but I didnít.

Most of the time by the time I post up my ideas on Airforums Iíve already brought the idea to completion.Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. Time will tell the tale on this one. Updates are forthcoming over the next weeks and months.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Quote:
I was watching the efficiency, the one I purchased claims a one to one efficiency...

I probably wont use it much when running on the tank, I spend a lot of time connected to city and park water so the waste and pressure considerations arenít a huge concern to me.
The efficiency depends on the incoming water quality and system pressure, among other things.
For dry camping it makes no sense but in your scenario I say Why Not?
Keep those prefilters clean.