Old 05-28-2012, 08:15 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Replumbing with PEX

Hello All. I have a 1988 25' Excella twin bed center bath. I want to remove the original grey polybyutal water lines and replace them with PEX or PEX equivilant.
It looks like the lines run from the rear road side external hose inlet to the water heater then into the bathroom. From the bathroom they cross across the trailer to the curb side under the gally area or into the cedar closet where the pump is located.
It looks like this is doable but the concern is how to snake the water lines from the bathroom area under the floor to the gally area.
If anyone has any sugestions or have done this I would like to hear from you.
Happy camping, Joe nm1oqrz

Old 06-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #2

1986 29' Sovereign
Lexington , Texas
Joe,
We found a serious leak in our 29' '86 Sovereign, rear bath, and so we'll be doing the same--replacing the polybutal with PEX. Have you made any progress with yours since posting?
Thanks, Katherine

Old 06-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Hello Katherine. No I have not replaced any of the polybutal tubing except I removed the city water, water filter because it was cracked so I cut the polybutal out and replaced it with PEX and 2 sharkbites. Once I figure out how to get the water lines from one side to the other then I will tackle the complete replacement.
I also read on a forum ( can't remember which one) that mice like PEX so I am going to research that item. There are other products simular to PEX on the market that I'll look into. For a good temporary fix the sharkbites work very well, just cut out the leak and replace it with PEX and sharkbites.
Happy camping nm1oqrz
Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Joe,
i just began the disassembly of doors and other in-the-way pieces on my '89 25' Excella to begin the PEX replumbing of my trailer. Did you figure how to snake the new tubing under the floor? There must be a way! I am using sharkbite ftg everywhere in spite of the cost. I expect the ease of assembly (or disassembly) to offset the cost. Maybe others will tell of their methods to get PEX from one side to the other. Thanks.
Dan
Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
This might not fit your situation and layout with your AS. But when I replaced the copper tubing with PEX in my 1976 31' sovereign center bath the route of the water line was from the back regulator on the "drivers side" along the floor on this side that passed under the twin bed, through the closet then to the pantry area and then a 90 degree turn under the floor over to the kitchen sink. Then back on the curb side to to shower, bath sink, toilet and water heater. As it turned out after removing the carpet I found a previous cut out in the floor where another patch was applied an old leak under the floor and then the cut out floor piece was replaced. So I was able to open this cut out and run the PEX through this opening in the floor. There are no water connections at all on the "drivers side" of my trailer, all are on the curb side. After I had completed the PEX installation it occurred to me that I could have very easily run the PEX from the regulator across the back under the cabinet then forward under the twin bed through the bath room to the kitchen and then complete hooking up everything else. It was no big deal since I found the entry hole already cut in the floor but I wonder if I would have thought about this approach before trying to fish a line under the floor. As I said your layout may not work with this rerouting. Good luck.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have an 81 center bath and the hard part is going from the pump under the floor to the kitchen. You may have to cut a hole in the closet floor to get to the end of the line from the pump. The other end probably comes out under the shower in the bathroom. I found this out when I pulled the kitchen counter to re attache it to the wall. I have found the PB pipe fittings to be more of a problem than the actual tubing. The hose barbs break where they attach to the fitting. Replacing all of the pumbing will not be easy. Once you remove the kitchen counter, The plumbing under the shower can be accessed. This is assuming your closet is on the street side and the kitchen is to the left of the door.

Perry
Old 05-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Don and Perry,
Thanks for the responses. City water entrance is on rear streetside under a twin bed. Water heater is at foot of same bed. Shower is next with lines crossing under the floor at the forward edge of the shower. My sink and closet are on the curbside. The furnace duct comes under the floor from curbside in the closet and exits on the forward side of the shower. By removing the furnace louver and pushing flex duct back in the space under the shower I think i can make a hole in the floor to help feed PEX through. The furnace ductwork comes up through the floor under the shower just rearward of an outrigger. There seems to be space between that outrigger and the forward shower edge to make a new hole for access. Its a tight space at the best. Thanks.
Dan
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Ok yours looks like a mirror image of mine. Is this your floor plan for the 25' center bath.

http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...6c97a787fe.pdf

Look behind the bed on the bathroom side. The water heater is under the same bed I believe. I expect that the line coming from the pump is in that area between the shower and the water heater. You may have to cut an access hole at the bottom of the wall behind the shower to get to the plumbing. You can also look under the sink and get some idea where things are going.

Perry
Old 05-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Pex

Hello Farmer Dan. No I have not even started to tackle replacing the pex. I had too many other things on my plate but this is a good thread to keep going and I will be interested in others solutions and I will contribute when I can.
Happy camping nm1oqrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Dan View Post
Joe,
i just began the disassembly of doors and other in-the-way pieces on my '89 25' Excella to begin the PEX replumbing of my trailer. Did you figure how to snake the new tubing under the floor? There must be a way! I am using sharkbite ftg everywhere in spite of the cost. I expect the ease of assembly (or disassembly) to offset the cost. Maybe others will tell of their methods to get PEX from one side to the other. Thanks.
Dan
Old 05-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
We replaced all the old copper water lines in our '66 Safari with PEX and have had no problems.

Be sure to draw a plan of the existing water system before you start tearing things out.

PEX proved easy to snake through small spaces, and we were able to do it without tearing into the trailer. We used crimp rings, so there was a lot of planning to get the last connection in a place where the crimping tool had room to operate.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Perry,
My trailer does have the floor plan of the 25'er in your link with optional twins. I did briefly look under the shower yesterday and may have room to run the PEX thru the rear wall of the shower and then go under the floor at the front edge of this space. The vent and drain systems add another obstacle but I hope my "farmer ingenuity" kicks in with a brilliant idea. BTW, we have 525 A of corn planted and then got 4-6" of snow yesterday with cold weather still hanging tough. We need warm!!!!
Thanks to all who responded. I will update with what I hope are progress reports!!
Dan
Old 05-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I hope you are going to feed cows with that corn and not put it in our gas.

Good luck with the trailer.

Perry