Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2018, 07:48 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Brooklyn , New York
Replacment faucets and fixtures for 70s airstreams

I have a 78 Sovereign 31, and most of the faucets are shot, I'm looking to replace them with something that is as close as possible to original ( I like the aesthetic ). I've read threads that say the fixtures are standard size, but most of those threads seem to be referring to later models. Does anyone know the make, size, good replacement for the 70s fixtures ( bathroom, sink, kitchen sink, shower )?
estock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Poteau , Oklahoma
If they are original they are usually Moen brand stuff. You can buy replacement cartridges, either Moen or generic Danco if your chrome is still good. You will know its Moen stuff if after you remove the handle the place where the handle attaches is squarish with a flat spot vs geared like most other brands.

If your really cheap like me you can usually take the cartriges out replace the O rings around the cartrigdges, give it a good slather of silicone grease and your good to go for another 10 years. But that is for the single handle stuff but double handle Moen stuff usually has cartriges too.

Oh and if you get the hot and cold working backwards just take the retaining clip back out and turn the cartridge 180 degrees and reassemble.
cowdiddly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by estock View Post
I have a 78 Sovereign 31, and most of the faucets are shot, I'm looking to replace them with something that is as close as possible to original ( I like the aesthetic ). I've read threads that say the fixtures are standard size, but most of those threads seem to be referring to later models. Does anyone know the make, size, good replacement for the 70s fixtures ( bathroom, sink, kitchen sink, shower )?
Take some photos of what you are trying to replace and go to a good plumbing supply house. You might find the exact original fixtures.
I remember both Delta and Moen fixtures in the three 1970's trailers I owned. From 20 year ago memory , I think my 1978 rear double 31' had Delta faucets with an acrylic knob in the shower and lavatory. (after all the years since I owned them, memories of those three trailers get blended in my brain)