Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 PM   #21
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Greetings from the other side of the OKC metro area -- we're in the same boat, although I'll end up doing it myself at somepoint. So far in our Overlander, I've had two copper lines bust in the middle of the pipe (requiring me to patch), and I've had to re-sweat almost all of the lines under the galley. The PO used garden hoses all over the place, so eventually we're going to PEX it all as well. PM and let me know who you're using, as I'd be interested in the quote.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Canby , Oregon
I have replace all the copper pipe in two different 31 footers, center bath and rear bath.
Bought a roll (50') of red and blue, and used Watts Quick-Connect fittings. It was a lot easier putting in the PEX for the first time than it was taking out the copper. By the way with Watts system no crimp tool needed.
Good Luck on your projects.
ted
davenpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenpow View Post
I have replace all the copper pipe in two different 31 footers, center bath and rear bath.
Bought a roll (50') of red and blue, and used Watts Quick-Connect fittings. It was a lot easier putting in the PEX for the first time than it was taking out the copper. By the way with Watts system no crimp tool needed.
Good Luck on your projects.
ted
Are those connections removable? The crimp plan sounds hard to disconnect. It seems with wires and plumbing I'm always changing stuff. Some crimp would be fine. I'd just like some connections removable.

Gary
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
Are those connections removable? The crimp plan sounds hard to disconnect. It seems with wires and plumbing I'm always changing stuff. Some crimp would be fine. I'd just like some connections removable.

Gary
Yes, they're removable, and really easy to use. You can even mix and match your pipe material (you can join copper to pex, ect.). I just did all the plumbing in my '73 Tradewind but I used all crimp because of the price difference.
Each crimp joint costs pennies ... each Watts type joints costs dollars!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossCamper View Post
Yes, they're removable, and really easy to use. You can even mix and match your pipe material (you can join copper to pex, ect.). I just did all the plumbing in my '73 Tradewind but I used all crimp because of the price difference.
Each crimp joint costs pennies ... each Watts type joints costs dollars!

Thanks BossCamper,

That sounds good. If I buy one crimp tool, what size pex pipe makes sense?

Gary
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Chatham , Ontario
I used all half inch.
I got lucky, and maybe you can too. The place I got the pex from rents the crimp tool for $5.00 a day. Look into tool rental places around you. You may find you can rent them quite cheaply. I simply put everything together un-crimped, then went and rented the tool and crimped everything. Probaly only took an hour or two to crimp.
One point to keep in mind, that I didn't know until I actually started crimping is that after you crimp the joint, you can swivel the elbow, or whatever, on the pipe unlike when you solder copper. It may sound like a minor point, but to me it was huge! It meant I didn't have to be perfect with the angle of the elbows before I crimped. If I was off a bit, I just turned the elbow in the crimped joint to line up with the next fitting.
It's true, you need to plan ahead as you crimp to do any recessed joints out on the floor and then put them in place with your final joint out where you can get at it.
There are also different tools out there. Some that need to have the handles open very wide to get on the crimp ring. The one I rented was maybe twice the size of a pair of vice grips, and the jaws opened in a sort of two stage action, meaning the handles only opened about the same as a pair of vice grips, meaning I could get into smaller areas to crimp.

Good luck, and have fun!

Oh yeah ... when I was done, I only had two leaks and those were where I hadn't gotten on the crimp ring fully, and only compressed the edge of the ring. This system works really well if you're careful and get the pex fully onto the fitting and crimp properly.

Loris
Old 09-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
BossCamper, Great post! Even answered my leak question before I asked it:-)

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Gary