Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #1

1973 25' Tradewind
Santa Rosa , California
Relief valve.... not hot water heater

This is my first post. Just purchased beautiful 73 Tradewind and am in the process of refurbishing it. There is a relief valve which ties the end of the hot piping into the cold piping just after the pressure regulting valve. Trying to figure out why it is here, and what is its sequence of operation.

On interntional model, it relieves thru floor.

I'd be grateful if anyone caan help me with this.

Thank You

Smitty Smith......Marcus's pal and plumber
Enid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Please post a photo, I can't quite picture what you are describing.

And welcome to the forums!
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
There should be a relief valve after the regulator on the city water supply line. The water should exit the trailer via a pipe through the floor if the relief valve is activated by excess pressure.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Odd place for a relief valve (usually it's on the heater itself), but all hot water systems should have relief valves. If the water heater malfunctions and gets hot enough to boil, pressure builds up VERY fast from trapped steam, and that pressure has to go somewhere.

Given the location, are you sure it's a relief valve and not a low point drain?
Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Given the location, are you sure it's a relief valve and not a low point drain?
Protaganist, sounds like you might be on to something there, probably a low point drain. Sure could use a photo.
Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
1973 25' Tradewind
Cinnaminson , New Jersey
Presure relief

The PO of my Exella really had some of the plumbing messed up.
The City water and the water from the fresh tank were joined via a T to go to the pressure regulator. from there it went to the pressure relief that was plugged.

All of the lines were a mix of "PolyButyl"/PB ?, white reinforced hose, green hose, black hose.

Im going to replace most with 1/2 PEX and join to 3/8 PB to the unaccessable areas

I too am having problems with understanding the Pressure relief. Does the top of the valve blow, I would think that there are other connections that would blow before the 60# relief valve.

Another question I have is that, the regulator and the back flow valves have a "reside" on the inside. A brownish discoloration.

Is there anything to help clean out these fittings, Soak them in a solution of ???

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WI-0013a.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	166059  
Riverton, NJ
tfbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
My Argosy also had a pressure relief valve directly after the pressure valve, and it vented thru the floor. I am sure this was original. I took out the pressure valve, relief valve, and all old copper. I am not going to replace those valves, it seems unneccessary, because I always use a pressure valve at the water inlet at RV parks. This is not the hot water pressure relief valve on the hot water heater, that one is required for safety if the water heater malfuctions.
Also, by using pex, the pressure rating is 160 lbs at 73f, so 50 lbs at the RV inlet will not require an internal pressure relief valve, IMHO.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
If you need to clean out the valves, use CLR, it works great, I used it on my backflow valve, which is all brass.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Actually since there is supposed to be a check valve to keep water from going back out of the trailer it is a closed system so when the water heater heats the water it increases the pressure in the entire system not just the hot side.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
Actually since there is supposed to be a check valve to keep water from going back out of the trailer it is a closed system so when the water heater heats the water it increases the pressure in the entire system not just the hot side.
I,m no plumber, but have owned several (nine) sob's and none of them had a pressure relief valve anywhere in the cold water system, but they all had a backflow valve, to prevent water flow out the inlet when using water pump.(closed system). The AS is the first, and I don't think it is necessary. IMHO
Old 08-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
I,m no plumber, but have owned several (nine) sob's and none of them had a pressure relief valve anywhere in the cold water system, but they all had a backflow valve, to prevent water flow out the inlet when using water pump.(closed system). The AS is the first, and I don't think it is necessary. IMHO
It is one of the recommended solutions (by Atwood) with their new higher temp water heaters that come in new Airstreams. I agree though it is probably not needed with other water heaters.
Wazbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
It is one of the recommended solutions (by Atwood) with their new higher temp water heaters that come in new Airstreams. I agree though it is probably not needed with other water heaters.
Which brings up another question; if the higher temp water heaters create a problem, why dont they decrease the pressure relief valve on the WH from 150(standard) to something less as protection?? Why the need for another relief valve? Again, just asking, I'm no expert.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
River; that makes too much sense.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:44 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdodger View Post
Which brings up another question; if the higher temp water heaters create a problem, why dont they decrease the pressure relief valve on the WH from 150(standard) to something less as protection?? Why the need for another relief valve? Again, just asking, I'm no expert.
The newer Atwood water heaters have a mixing valve in the system to add cold water at a ratio of 2 hot to 1 cold, even before you get to the mixing valve at the faucet. The heater produces water hot enough to scald otherwise. It's a gimmick to say thay can get nine gallons of hot water out of a six-gallon heater. Since there is that extra mixing valve, if the water heater overheats, you can over-pressure the cold side as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The newer Atwood water heaters have a mixing valve in the system to add cold water at a ratio of 2 hot to 1 cold, even before you get to the mixing valve at the faucet. The heater produces water hot enough to scald otherwise. It's a gimmick to say thay can get nine gallons of hot water out of a six-gallon heater. Since there is that extra mixing valve, if the water heater overheats, you can over-pressure the cold side as well.
I now understand; I just finished all new plumbing in my Argosy, so, as a test for pressure and leaks, I hooked the water line at my house with a 40# regulater, and placed a pressure meter on the kitchen sink faucet. The pressure was a steady 40#, but after the water heater cycled, the pressure was 60#. Now if I would not have had the 40# regulater in the waterline, the pressure would have been 60# before hot water. Hot water would have taken it up to 80#. Is this still safe? Or does the overpressure valve kick in before 80#?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you are speaking of the pressure relief valve on the water heater. There should be a tag just under the relief handle with the specs on it.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
If you are speaking of the pressure relief valve on the water heater. There should be a tag just under the relief handle with the specs on it.
Any relief valve, not just one on the water heater, should be labeled as to the maximum pressure.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
The one I have, which was in the Argosy next to the regulator, I am going to hook up to my compressor and see when it triggers. BTW I used air pressure to check my new pex plumbing system before applying water to it. A great idea, thanks to whomever gave me that idea. Now all I need is a new fresh water tank, then plumb the pump, and on to another project.