Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Silver Dreams
Commercial Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via Skype™ to bob_cashman
redo of the fresh water from the hose fitting in

My 1976 Sovereign had a check valve of some sort that had been concealed under a table before my refurb. I am redoing all of the plumbing in PEX and am wondering if I can put this valve outside the AS so that the only thing that comes in is the pex and goes right to the bathroom and on to the front. I'll also post a picture of the old set up. It had a valve for drainage which I'm not sure why it would be on the inside. Thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water valve in AS.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	463.9 KB
ID:	99822  
bob_cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Try to keep all the plumbing inside heated areas.

They built them that way for a reason. I think the old way would let that little bit of water drain from the check valve(in the heat) back out the inlet(in the cold). Then the rest of the water could be protected from freezing by the furnace.

The Drain valves are "low point" Drains Designed to be the lowest points in the system (also need to be protected from freezing). We have two sets one in the front and one in the rear. We have to raise the front of the trailer as high as we can and drain... then drop the front and drain. If they are outside they will freeze and you will not be able to protect the whole system.

Even if you don't PLAN on camping when it is cold. The weather may just catch you off guard. Or tow vehicle failure may have you stuck while waiting on repair. You never know when you might have to do a "Quick Winterize".

I think some others will chime in and give their .02 as well

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote