Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2006, 01:58 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Let me answer my own question: On page 22 of 46 in the PEX manual, it describes Flair-it Plus fittings as

Quote:
...the next generation of fittings that will take us into the 21st Century.

They are compatible with all PEX tubing manufactured to ASTM F876 or F877. Flair-IT Plus couples a patented fitting design with a high strength thermoplastic material and the memory capabilities of PEX tubing to create a high quality plumbing connection guaranteed not to leak.

PLS has demonstrated a high resistance to aqueous mineral acids, alkali and salt solutions, and its tolerance to detergents and hydrocarbon oils at elevated temperatures under moderate levels of stress is good.

Numberous tests with a variety of chemicals have shown little or no adverse effect on the properties of Polysulfone, but as with any material, PLS can be attacked and damaged by seemingly harmless chemicals.
All of this begs the question. How does PEX, Flair-IT, Flair-IT Plus and other PEX products hold up to system bleaching in the spring?
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
I still haven't found the Flair-IT connector for getting to the faucets. For those that have used PEX in their trailers, did you leave some copper connected to the faucet then use a copper transition fitting and a ring over the PEX?

I can't find a 3/8PEX to 3/8 copper transition.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

Old 08-08-2006, 02:00 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
I still haven't found the Flair-IT connector for getting to the faucets. For those that have used PEX in their trailers, did you leave some copper connected to the faucet then use a copper transition fitting and a ring over the PEX?

I can't find a 3/8PEX to 3/8 copper transition.
I actually used the short supply lines that come with some faucets (chrome covered copper w/ flared end) I transitioned using a PEX to 1/2" MIP, and then used a Brass 1/2" FIP to 3/8" tubing connector.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 02:07 PM   #24
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Is there a "Lowe's" near you? the one's around here are stocking the "SeaTech" fittings, which will connect copper or pex...either/or. They're not calling them "SeaTech", but they look like the same thing. Put out by Watts Regulator...which actually bought Seatech. apparently they're marketing the same technology under a different name. I also noticed that they don't seem to stock the "Qest" fittings anymore...looks like they've switched entirely. IIRC, the Quest would also connect copper or pex, but the Flair-it is pex-only.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
Is there a "Lowe's" near you? the one's around here are stocking the "SeaTech" fittings, which will connect copper or pex...either/or. They're not calling them "SeaTech", but they look like the same thing. Put out by Watts Regulator...which actually bought Seatech. apparently they're marketing the same technology under a different name. I also noticed that they don't seem to stock the "Qest" fittings anymore...looks like they've switched entirely. IIRC, the Quest would also connect copper or pex, but the Flair-it is pex-only.
OK here is my inventory of Big Box and what is available.

Home Depot: QestPEX, a fair number of fittings, not everything I need. 3/8 ID to 1/2 Copper/PEX was not available. Only had one 100' PEX 1/2 (white) and had no 3/8 PEX at all. No colors.

Fleet Farm (regional): Watts Regulator connectors, all of the types Home Depot had plus many more. Did not have 1/2 to 1/2 to 3/8 "T" of which I need two. Had 1 roll of 50' PEX 1/2 in Red. 1 Roll of 100' PEX 1/2 in White. No Blue. Lots of 5' sections in several size options - all White.

Menards: Push n Go?, minimal if any fittings. DuraPEX tube in many sizes and lengths - all of them orange.

I did go to Pexconnection: They appear to have everything I need in the way of PEX Tubing. (Can't really tell what is in inventory/backorder), but as Chuck has shared, Flair-IT requires a specific connector for Copper to PEX and they don't offer that in all sizes.

Lowes is my only known additional big box to shop. I still need to use the store locator to find the nearest store. I believe they are supposed to be building one near here, but I can't wait for the store to be put up to get some PEX! Off to the store locator.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:07 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
They are one and the same. just different pictures. one from a website where I ordered the valve; the other, I took myself.
I'm dripping and cycling out the streetwater now. What website did you find the checkvalve on? I'm going to perform your fix.

Update: All connections are in place. PEX is in from mid-trunk to curbside wardrobe. New bath sink faucet is in and looks great! I still ended up removing most of the tub area. Need to let some things dry and one final check for leaking connectors, and the button up process can start. Anyone know where the rivet gun I was given for Christmas is? Maybe I should be more like this...

Old 08-20-2006, 05:51 PM   #27
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
I'm dripping and cycling out the streetwater now. What website did you find the checkvalve on? I'm going to perform your fix.
I actually ordered it from Amazon.com, believe it or not. it was kind of hard to find...try googling "camco" and "check valve" and/or "backflow preventer"....I think you can also get it directly from camco's website.

just have to keep in mind that with this valve on the outside, any water that is "up hill' from it in that inlet pipe is going to freeze in there in cold weather. With the original configuration, the checkvalve is well inside the trailer, and horizontal; any residual water just falls out the vertical section of the inlet line...with this setup, it'll be trapped in the pipe. haven't figured out exactly how I'll empty that line just yet, come winter.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:20 PM   #28
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Chuck--Looks to me that all you need to do for the winter is unscrew the check valve, and store it with your hose. If you winter with RV antifreeze then unscrew when you drain your lines, and reinstall before you add RV antifreeze.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #29
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank S
Hi Chuck--Looks to me that all you need to do for the winter is unscrew the check valve, and store it with your hose. If you winter with RV antifreeze then unscrew when you drain your lines, and reinstall before you add RV antifreeze.--Frank S
yeah, that's what I was planning, actually. just not as easy as opening a drain valve, I guess. and easy to forget.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Maryville , Tennessee
Try the SeaTech PEX Connectors. They are a little more expensive, but you don't have to get a wrench in to tighten them up. They are very easy to work with. I went throught this same copper/PEX issue a while back.

Go PEX-Go SeaTech. Life will be easier.
trevisgardne is offline   Reply With Quote