Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
troup , Texas
Pressure leaks

We recently visited a park (for our 1 yr Airstream anniversary) that we have been to several times with no problems but this time after we were all hooked up (no pressure regulator, I know, but we've never had a problem there) I started to notice leaking under the rear of the RV and a wet floor in the bathroom (73 Overlander Twin with rear bath). When I checked the pressure from the park hook up was very high and I'm guessing that's what caused the leaking. Will I have to replace or repair water connections or is this something that just proper use of pressure regulators will solve for future use? Any help will be greatly appreciated...
parrotheadrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Unless a PO has removed it, all Airstreams of that era came with a very good built in Watts pressure regulator. Of course it is 40 years old now, and could have packed it in and needs repair or replacement.

Look where the water comes into your rig, and you should find a dome shaped copper colored thing, about 6" tall, with a pipe in, and one out. That is the Watts regulator. It is better than any external regulator, assuming it is working right.

Now, actually where was the leak? Even with a pressure regulator not working the plumbing should never leak up to about 100 psi, and probably higher. I would look very carefully for the leak, rather than worry too much about the pressure. A leak generally will still leak with less pressure, just leak less. The leak itself is what needs your attention first and foremost.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
troup , Texas
Couldn't actually see the leaks but they were in between the bathroom floor and the metal pan that covers the rear of the RV. At home when hooked up with the regulator we didn't have any problems before trip but haven't been hooked back up to the water since getting home. I couldn't find a way to see the water lines under the floor. I can look tonight or this weekend for the Watts regulator. How would I get to see the lines below the bathroom floor. The pan below looks like somebody cut out a small section maybe 12x12 and it was put back in place. I was able to look through there but still didn't have a view of water lines. Thanks for any help.
parrotheadrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
It would be unusual to find FW lines under the floor of the coach. Typically A$ installs the water lines in the warm space of the unit.
If the BW tank is above the floor. The FW lines are run thru the box that the toilet sets on.
Not sure how yours is done.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote