Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Plumbing questions

We have a 'new' 1973 Argosy 24 and had our maiden voyage this weekend. We hooked up at a campground and fed water in. I didn't hook up the sewer when we got in as it was dark. In the morning when I loosened the drain cap, I got a bath.

Since there is no gray water tank, I have read that the sink and shower drains feed below the tank flap. Assuming that the tank flap is holding (jury is out on that one) should I have hooked up right away?

If thats the case, what do you do when you are boon docking?

If the tank flap is shot, how do you access that to fix?

Nick
nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I am not sure what a tank flap is.
Any water that went down either sink or the shower would have been waiting for you when you removed the cap. The black water in the toilet would be held in the black tank because the black tank valve was closed. If you are boondocking you should have a tote to catch the grey water.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
I was referring to the tank valve. How is that replaced?
Old 08-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
The valve is held in with 4 bolts w/ nuts. You may have to drop the belly pan to access them if there is no access panel. It might be near where you pull on the handle. I can't help with exact location as my MH has no belly pan. Check for leakage by putting water in tank while drain cap is off, don't wait for the drain pipe between valve & cap to fill. A tip is to lightly coat the rubber seal with vaseline where the valve slides. Don't overtighten the bolts. Snug them up & put clean water in the tanks with valve closed. Then evenly tighten all bolts til leakage stops.

There's also practical jokers out there. I've pulled into a site & had sewage flow out when hooking up. Somewhere at one of my rest stops the joker pulled both dump valve handles & closed them back up. always remember to hook up slinky hose to site 1st. Then hold RV end under cap & loosen a little. This way you can control any unexpected sewage leaks & keep the ground clean.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:08 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Thanks Ricky.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you don't open the drain cap and use the sinks with a unit that does not have a grey tank the grey water will back up and start coming out the lowest drain (shower or bath), or start leaking in the belly pan. Lucky you didn't have an open dump valve. Black water would then be added to the cocktail.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynick52 View Post
....I didn't hook up the sewer when we got in as it was dark. In the morning when I loosened the drain cap, I got a bath.

"First time for everything....mmm...my hands still stink."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dumping.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	84864  

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, 1974 argosy