Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #1

1972 21' Globetrotter
Denver , Colorado
Plumbing problems

I have a 1972 Land Yacht and the PO didn't winterize the unit. I thought everything was in working order, when I purchased, but the more I use it the more I realize it wasn't the case.

I have a leak near the battery compartment when I flush the toilet. How to I access the pipes to diagnose the problem. Also, how can I determine if I have a leak in my black tank or fresh water holding tank?

Thanks!
thecoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
The FW & BW tanks are somewhat forgiving of a freeze. If the FW tank is leaking it will show up on the floor. The BW tank is a bit more difficult. It most likely sits in a metal pan, under the floor, wrapped in insulation, behind the belly pan. You could damage an otherwise ok tank getting to it for a look. If it did crack you will know soon enough by the drip on the ground and the odor! Toilets and water pumps are not forgiving of freezing, they crack. I'd guess you'll find a crack in your toilet near the bottom where it sits on the deck. The leak when you flush is an indication. You MAY have a bigger issue. When the copper waterlines freeze at the very least they stretch [expand]. Often the soldered joints are weakened and give trouble in the future, one after another, on & on. The pipes and fittings are usually so distorted you can't splice or re-solder. With todays prices thats when you learn about pex. Fact is frozen plumbing in these oldtimers is the norm up north.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
I removed my BW tank on my 72 Safari, and we are in the process of resoring the frame and subfloor. I will post a few pictures here to show you the drain pipes. The BW tank sits under the toilet.

The first picture is where the toilet and BW tank would be, the drain pipe from the shower runs along the frame cross member. The second picture is the shower drain and vent pipe to the roof. the third picture is just another of the rear where the toilet would be and the door where the hot water heater was.
You can see all the rear end damage from water, having a welder fabricator looking it over tomorow. I have one cross member need to order another and a few out riggers.
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4437.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	182957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4416.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	482.6 KB
ID:	182958  

Name:	IMG_4415.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	464.5 KB
ID:	182959  
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
here are a few more pictures. The first is not near the bath but is up at the FW tank area shows a split water pipe from being frozen. the second is the where the toilet drain is on top of the tank. The third is the rear bath almost completly removed. Hope these help.
David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4153.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	182963   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4172.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	182964  

Name:	IMG_4177.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	182965  
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoys View Post
I have a 1972 Land Yacht and the PO didn't winterize the unit. I thought everything was in working order, when I purchased, but the more I use it the more I realize it wasn't the case.

I have a leak near the battery compartment when I flush the toilet. How to I access the pipes to diagnose the problem. Also, how can I determine if I have a leak in my black tank or fresh water holding tank?

Thanks!
Start out by removing the toilet, take a look around and if necessary hook it up to a garden hose and flush it a few times to see if there is a leak in the toilet self.