Old 04-25-2004, 05:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Grass Valley , California
Plumbing lines - obsolete??

Hi,

I have been reading here for sometime now, and finally found something I could use some advise on.

I have a 1987 34ft Excella. We just bought it a few months back and we have completely redone the interior- (black cabinets, silver roof and walls, pergo, upolstery, etc..).

I hooked up the city water connection a few days back when we finally moved in. I just found a leak in the rear plumbing just aft of the hot water heater. I have turned off the city water and I am just using the water pump to see if it has to do with the regulator for city service. I don't think that is the issue. Also, there is a valve that says "normal" and "bypass" that is just aft of the water heater, does anyone know what this is for? I think this may be what is leaking. My owners manual doesn't have anything about this valve in it.

My main question is about the water lines. They are grey with what looks like metal clamps on the ends for connections. I have never seen this type of plumbing and someone told me that these lines have been outlawed and are illegal to sell now.

OK.......so........

Is this true? and If so, what type of plumbing lines can be used to fix a section of leaking pipe without replacing all the lines in the trailer?
Would PEX X be the replacement pipe?

Thanks for any recommendations!

Regards,

Jeremy

Old 04-25-2004, 06:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

What you have is polybutylene tubing, and it is a disaster. There are threads on this as well as PEX, which is an excellent replacement.

The "bypass" is just that, it is a series of valves (should be two, I think) that allows the hot water tank to be bypassed when pumping RV antifreeze through the system - for a savings of six (or possibly 10) gallons of the stuff. If you don't reset the valves to "normal", you will not get hot water.

Mark

Old 04-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yorktown , Virginia
I just posed a thread about re-plumbing my water heater and the By-Pass kit.
In answer to your questions: The old grey poly pibes are not used anymore.
I think the PEX pipe and Flair-it fittings (or the PEX crimp fittings if you can afford the crimper) are the best for repair or replacement.

Roy
Old 04-25-2004, 06:35 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Great, thanks for your answers.

I Turned off the city water and turned on the water pump and the leak stopped. It looks like the bypass valve is what is leaking, but only on city water.

So, maybe the city pressure regulator is failing and causing the valve to leak.
Or a combo of both. Guess I will need to call the airstream dealer for the regulator eh?

Thanks again!
Old 04-25-2004, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Those regulators are available from most any RV supplier. Many plumbing suppliers will have them as well.

Mark
Old 04-25-2004, 06:42 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Ok.

Are the regulators all the same as far as how much pressure they allow to go into the plumbing? I looked on the unit and the ever-so-NOT-helpful-airstream manual with no mention of specs.
Old 04-25-2004, 06:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

You want something in the 40-45 lb psi range. I've never seen one for an RV offered outside that range anyway.

Mark
Old 04-25-2004, 06:49 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Cool

Thanks for your help Mark!

Jeremy
Old 04-25-2004, 10:44 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

One more question. Is Pex interchangable with the polybute?

I have a neighbor that is a plumber and he said the fittings are not interchangable.

Is that correct?
If so, what is interchangable? He said I need to replace all the polybute with cpvc.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin-n-tin
He said I need to replace all the polybute with cpvc.
Your well meaning neighbor is most likely a commercial residential plumber and they fix everything with CPVC or PVC. It lets them do quick repairs and move on to the next job. He means well, its just the wrong application in this case. In an RV application it is too rigid and will eventually fail and you will be right back were you are today.

Use the PEX materials. There are hand tighten Flare-It fittings available at RV centers and hardware centers that can be used for quick repairs until you are able to replumb everything with the crimped materials.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by livin-n-tin
One more question. Is Pex interchangable with the polybute?

I have a neighbor that is a plumber and he said the fittings are not interchangable.

Yes and no. Polybutylene tubing will fit the Flair-it and Qest plastic fittings perfectly - BUT not the crimped fittings. The tubing thickness is different and the bands will not tighten correctly.

As far as Flair-it fittings go, I am perfectly happy to consider them a permanent repair. They are amazingly solid.

Mark
Old 04-26-2004, 09:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
I have found the Flair it and Qest plastic fittings to be expensive compared to the crimp type fittings. The crimp type are rated for behind the wall type of installations where the plastic screw on type is not, a chance of leaking I guess. This being said the cost of the crimper for the crimp fittings for PEX brings the cost about even. I have found a local store that rents the crimper for $5.00 per day not bad. I believe This brings the crimp type back to the front. That is what I've used. Check into a local crimper rental before committing to the screw on type, you will end up with a less expensive job rated for behind the wall.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:19 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Li-n-Tin

I had the same problem and used the pump for the summer. The following year I hooked the camp ground water and it did not leak. (pfm) I didn't do anything to it.
Old 04-26-2004, 09:26 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Great.

I am off to the plumbing store for Pex and flair it fittings.

Thanks guys!