Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

1976 Argosy 24
Panama City Beach , Florida
Plumbing basics

Hello! I purchased my 1976 Argosy about a year ago, and I'm finally getting time to do some serious work on it.
When I purchased it, it was a major fixer upper: totally gutted inside (except for bathroom, tanks, water pump and water heater) and the the exterior paint job was garbage. Someone thought it was a good idea to sloppily brush on primer over the original paint....

We're in the process of stripping it down to the aluminum and repainting. We needed to get the exterior looking better so we wouldn't be the neighborhood eyesore! But I'm hoping to be done with all that in about 2 weeks. And then it's time to tackle the inside!

I have a decent grasp of the type of furnishing we're going to incorporate, but I need to get the plumbing and electrical sorted out first. I have a ever-so-slightly better than average understanding of electrical, and I am fairly skilled at plumbing. I'm planning on running new PEX lines for the bathroom and kitchen, but I don't have any experience with tanks and whatnot. Can you give me an idea of some of the "RV Plumbing Essentials" that we need to know? Are there different connections I need to be aware of that are different from household standards?

I haven't run any water through the tanks yet, so I'm not even sure they don't have cracks or holes. If you have any tips on how to do that, that would be awesome too.

Plus, any other tips you might want to throw my way, I'd love that!

Katie
kwinton80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
In trailer plumbing there are two sources. There would be a check valve at each source to keep the pressure from running out the other source.

The water pump source has a suction line going into the storage tank; the pump itself has a builtin check valve and a pressure switch to set the maximum water pressure.

The city water supply goes first to a regulator to keep the maximum pressure low, in a range the materials can handle and then a check valve.

The way to think about these two supplies is that they are tied to either end of the cold water line.

The electrical in a trailer is actually several systems:
1) trailer towing lights
2) trailer brakes
3) towing charging
4) 12V house supply, disconnect, battery to fuse box to 12V loads
5) Battery charging, and trailer power supply
6) Shore power, power panel to AC loads
7) I will stop here but many folks also have an inverter, solar power options
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote