Old 08-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Payson , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumascoupe View Post
I'm finally getting to the plumbing phase of my shell-off !! Went to install the tub and realized I need to get ready for drain/vent plumbing before I rivet it all back in. I did a bit of reading here on the PVC vs ABS debate, and after checking all 3 local big box stores I cannot find ABS anywhere, except in 1 1/2" only. Most the connecting elbows, wyes, and tees I need are not available in ABS and some portions of my plumbing are also 1 1/4" and 2" so no ABS there either.
While at the stores tonight I thought, what about using the readily available PVC fittings with the ABS straight pipe for the "give/flex" Most the plumbing is 1 1/2" so the majority of the straight sections would be ABS. I would of course use the glue that is compatible with both.
Any plumbers out there have any thoughts on the viability of a hybrid set up like this ? Best of both worlds (cost/availability/some flex) or just asking for leaks buried in my walls ? (different coefficients of expansion, hot drain water ruining PVC ) ?
Worst case scenario, I can try to finish work early next week and see if a local plumber can order what I need in ABS, but figure the cost will go up a bit as their time is worth something too.
I would go to a plumbing supply place like Standard Pluming there are others just as good but they should have ABS in 1 1/2 as well as 1 1/4 it has been years since I tried to purchase any, but you can run PVC it is just a little more expensive, and as I have never used the tow types of plastic together I can't say whether they will adhere, but my guess is that they will. I was actually a pipe fitter not a plumber, although I have worked with plumbers on projects many times.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Payson , Utah
would go to a plumbing supply place like Standard Pluming there are others just as good but they should have ABS in 1 1/2 as well as 1 1/4 it has been years since I tried to purchase any, but you can run PVC it is just a little more expensive, and as I have never used the tow types of plastic together I can't say whether they will adhere, but my guess is that they will. I was actually a pipe fitter not a plumber, although I have worked with plumbers on projects many times.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
This a little off of plumbing on A.S. but good swim pool installers use pvc in inground pools, they have heat box can bend pvc to fit without els etc. winter cold does not effect pvc in frozen ground. My opinion I would not worry about cold with pvc. Bill
Old 08-22-2013, 06:31 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
This a little off of plumbing on A.S. but good swim pool installers use pvc in inground pools, they have heat box can bend pvc to fit without els etc. winter cold does not effect pvc in frozen ground. My opinion I would not worry about cold with pvc. Bill
Boring engineering stuff follows. Read at your own risk!

Plastic Pipe Institute (PPI) identifies the allowable temperature range for various types of plastic pipe in "non-pressure" applications. Because of the pressure regulator in your Airstream, the water pressure will be low enough for these values to be relatively accurate:
ABS 0F to 180F
Polyethelene -40F to 180F
PEX -30F to 210F
PVC 0F to 150F
CPVC 0F to 210F
Polybutylene 0F to 210F

PPI also notes that for high-temperature applications, all plastic pipe materials have to be supported at closer intervals, up to continuously supported (laid in a full-length trough) near the high end of the temperature range. So put your pipe supports closer together for your hot-water piping to keep it from sagging, and try to avoid using PVC for hot-water piping.

If you live in the Great White North your best bet is Polyethelene or PEX. Ditto if you plan to do winter camping at all. In more temperate climes where the temperature doesn't drop to negative digits, any plastic pipe material will work, though you may have to avoid moving your Airstream during the winter due to embrittlement of the plastic.

Note that, just because a particular plastic material may be good to sub-freezing temperatures, that does not apply to ice forming in the pipes! You still need to winterize, even with Polyethelene or PEX.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Payson , Utah
Make sure you use cleaner on all of your abs joints before glueing, it is my experience that ABS only sags when it gets hot, may be a good thing to place supports if possible on long lengths.