Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Maryville , Tennessee
PLEASE HELP - Plumbing Question

I have a 32 foot 1987 Excella with the center bath and twin bed floor plan with a dinnette. Today when we turned on the water after it had been sitting for the past 6 months, we noticed the carpet getting wet in the hallway between the closet area and bathroom door. The owners manual states the water lines go from the bathroom side of the trailer across to the other side under the closet false floor where the pump is located and then on towards the kitchen. It also states the lines run under the floor above the holding tank. I crawled underneath but could see nothing except the big fresh water tank. How do I get to these lines to repair? Will I have to cut an access into the floor? This would entail removing the carpeting first. This would not be an easy task. Does anyone have and suggestions or recommendations before I start ripping everything up? I would really appreciate any help or comments. I can also be reached at 1chillbilly@gmail.com
Chillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
FIRST reach behind the toilet and see if the connection to the supply pipe has come loose. Happened to me recently. Simply tightened it back up by hand. In mine it's a plastic fitting. Next check the sink supply lines. With luck you may find the problem is above the floor and a simple repair may be possible.

"False floor" on the closet... That may be on a hinge that lets you lift the floor up, or it may simply pull out. If the water pump is there, a lot of other plumbing will be there too - and it's another good place to look for a semi-easy fix. Freeze damage which you might have can pop a fitting off, and/or split a copper pipe lengthwise. You might see at least some of the evidence from the pump area. USE your cell phone camera and a strong light to peek around corners and into dark nooks too. (tape it to you had so you can't drop it - don't ask WHY I know this.)

Then and only then start cussing. Also, on general and specific principles, drop the belly pan and insulation and try to spot the problem from below. Seriously - you'd be better off dropping the belly pan, insulation and even the tank(s) rather than cutting up the floor! Remember it's a structural part reinforcing the frame. (Me? I call a repairman - simply because I can afford to and know someone reliable. )

Paula
Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
As Foiled said, check for leaks above the floor first, I bet you will find the problem there, not in the lines under the floor. The '87's used gray polly butyl pipe and the fittings, especially in the 26 years since it was built, have a tendency to break. The pipe is generally OK but the joints are the problem.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I have the same trailer. Just fixed a leak yesterday. My guess is that since the carpet is getting wet the leak is above the floor. Check under the cabinets in the bathroom if the leak is on that side. Could you tell which side got wet first? I have had several of the fittings snap in half. The leak yesterday was a drip from a crimped fitting. Think PEX for repairs. Think not duplicating the exact Airstream layout but putting the joints where you can get to them. Have you crawled under the trailer to see if it is leaking from under the floorpan? Hope for a leak up top.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
I have an '80 Excella and guessing the same kind of layout. Pretty good odds that the leak is above the floor. Either from toilet or lavatory, could even be the seal at the toilet to the floor. Spend some time investigating and I'm guessing you'll find it above the floor.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Maryville , Tennessee
I'm pretty sure the leak is coming from under the floor. It started as a small 1" circle and spread, such as when a pipe might be cracked and squirting up onto the floor, eventually saturating it enough to wet the carpet. The carpet near the commode isn't wet nor is the carpet near the closet. It starts in the center of the hallway and spreads from there. How difficult is it to lower the belly pan and/or tank? Actually I don't even know one from the other. If someone could possibly describe them I would appreciate it. When I look under the trailer in this area, I see a squared off rectangular box-like shape. I assumed this was a tank. Might this be the belly pan? If this is a tank where is the belly pan? It seems the water leak is above this. Anyone have ideas?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
charleton , Illinois
I had a water leak wetting the same areas you discribed. The connection to the water pump was where I found the leak. My pump is located in the center wardrobe below the trap door in the rear of this wardrobe. There was a short length of reinforced vinal tubing from the pump leaking. Six inches of new tubing and a couple of new hose clamps solved the problem.
jerry d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
Maryville , Tennessee
Finally found a leaking T connection near the drain plug by the kitchen, which was allowing water to run on top of the floor but under the carpeting until it found a low place, where it finally soaked up through the carpeting. It is unbelievable how water leaks can confuse one. I was ready to cut access holes in the floor and/or drop the belly pan and fresh water tank, which would have been simply a waste of time. Thank goodness for small miracles! Happy New Years everyone!