Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2015, 05:17 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
please help - 1959 soft copper fittings

all,

i am replacing a small 8' section of soft copper water line and having an extremely hard time finding the proper fitting thread for the 3/8 copper fittings that were originally used on the water line connectors?

i've checked with all the local plumbing supply and fitting supply companies and they have nothing to match the small fine threads on the 3/8 copper fittings that connect to the existing fittings

has anyone been able to located these fine thread male and female fittings?? photo attached of the original male fitting i'm looking for
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream water fitting.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	318.2 KB
ID:	242618  
groovzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 05:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
My 75 Overlander had flare fittings for most of the copper water lines except a couple of compression fittings.

Can't tell from the photo as I'm on my phone, but if there is a brass ring on the copper it is a compression fitting.

Try a True Value ... the one's I've used have things the big box stores don't.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
You can buy those compression rings separately, so you could just re-use the old fittings with new pipe.
That piece that you show in your photo is one part of a complete fitting (tee, coupling, etc.) If you need just that piece, you will have to buy the whole fitting to get it.
Old 07-10-2015, 07:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Thats goofy, it looks like a 3/8 male NPT stuck behind a compression fitting. Are you sure it's not a previous owners cobbled up repair?
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:44 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
very sure - the entire trailer has the original soft copper and these original compression fittings - the copper has never been worked on so everything is original.

none of the 3/8 compression fittings in specialty stores work - the threads are too big and the diameter of the 3/8 compression fittings are too wide - none of these plumbing stores OR fitting specialty shops have any idea where to find them - i'll have to re-use the fittings from the copper i removed - it was only 1 section from water tank to the sink T - i just couldn't understand why i can;t find them?

heres a photo for comparison - 3/8 soft copper with the original fitting on right side in both photos - newer compression fitting on left side:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fitting2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	242645   Click image for larger version

Name:	fitting3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	242646  

Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 PM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
please help - 1959 soft copper fittings

Have you looked at www.mcmaster.com? If they don't have it...

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Save yourself a headache, just cut it off and use a coupling or a modern fitting. The 3/8 tube is still the same.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Reverse compression like the hose from your tank to the regulator.

I like PEX.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 19' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
when i disconnected the soft copper pipe, i removed one end from the sink "T" and the other end from the water tank - the copper got bent and is now in 2 pieces.
i cannot remove the brass fitting in the water tank as it is practically welded in.

*since i can't find the original style fittings i'll re-use the old fittings and splice in a new fitting for the new section of pipe between the sink T and water tank fitting.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
I'm finding that old school brass fittings are becoming more and more obsolete by the day. If you can't find what you need, you'll hafta upgrade with what's available.

I've found Ace Hdwe to be the place for brass fittings. They've got pretty good selection. Specifically, I've found that franchise stores have much better selection than corporate stores. In Woodinvolle, WA, that would be McLendon's Hdwe.

Other than that, you should try an industrial hose and fitting supply store. In Everett, WA, that would be North Sound Hose and Fittings and Greenshields Industrial Supply.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
1967 26' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
Savannah , Georgia
While I replaced most of the copper in my 61 with PEX, I kept some where it attached to kitchen faucet, etc. as was too difficult to replace. I just used Sharkbite fittings for the transition without a problem.

Michael Higgins
beatrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
You should be able to splice onto the original piece of copper left on the tank. Take the piece you broke off to a plumbing sore or hardware store and get a new "coupling" and a new piece of copper tubing and the fitting to replace the compression fitting you show in the photo. Your tubing left on the tanks needs to be cut carefully to ensure it is round and not deformed. Worst case, you or a plumber might have to solder a compatible fitting onto the tube left on the tank.
HIHOAgRv is right: it looks cobbled...if you can take the fixture you are connecting to with you, a good hardware dealer should be able to help patch things up. with new tubing, and all the fittings

JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags