Old 03-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Placement of new water inlet???

I have a vintage 64 overlander in great shape, but I'm upgrading systems. Instead of digging around under the bumper, I like the idea of having easy access to the city water connection as we will probably hook up more than boondock. (but hey, what do I know)

Anyway, looking at the external water hookup that Steve sells at VTS. Where is a good location for this? What about the electrical? Do you place them together - any code requirements?

By the way street side is the driver's side, right?

Old 03-01-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Leavenworth , Kansas
Like you I did not like to get down on my hands and knees to get to the water so I ran the pex tubing out the drivers side at a comfortable level and there you are.

I would not want the water inlet above the electrical input in case of a leak at the least. Would not want water in or around the electrical input.

Silver 67

67 Sovereign, double bed, rear bath-"Moby"
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi, Quad Cab-"Ahab"
"Vintage trailer, vintage owners"
silver 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
Street side is the port side. Curbside is starboard.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I gave serious consideration to relocating the water inlet on my 68. After a lot of thinking about it, I just installed a new inlet on the frame rail where the original was. I used pex for the whole trailer. By keeping the inlet down low and installing a ball valve inside where the pipe comes up through the floor, I have a low point that will drain most of the system (most but not all). Another reason was that I did not want cut a hole in the side of the trailer. Same thing with the electrical inlet, I just decided to keep it vintage. So far, I have no regrets Hopefully it will be working for another 40 years.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
water inlet

Look at most trailers today and you will find the water inlet for city water / hookups is located at the rear streetside. Ideally, you would have everything clustered there together for hookups.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:35 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

I wish that I never would have listened to the RV Technician who talked me into relocating my city water inlet on my '64 Overlander. I now have a horribly obvious surface mounted water inlet that would be an identical twin to the one on my nightmare of a Nomad if it weren't chrome rather than white. The movement invited when the hose is connected and disconnected creates new leaks every season -- something I never had with the original Airstream design. Despite its seemingly inconvenient location, it really isn't all that inconvenient once you get your setup routine established.

There really isn't as much choice when dealing with the shore-power connection as the original Bargman 30-AMP electrical connectors are obsolete and virtually unobtainable. I converted to the Marinco entrance, and while it does create a seasonal leak issue for much the same reason as the city water entrance, it isn't quite as big a problem. I don't regret upgrading to the Marinco entrance.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Water inlet-rear streetside side of frame just ahead of bumper.Electrical inlet- use the Marinco inlet as sold by VTS & place it on the skin on the rear streetside.Colin</p>
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin H View Post
Water inlet-rear streetside side of frame just ahead of bumper.Electrical inlet- use the Marinco inlet as sold by VTS & place it on the skin on the rear streetside.Colin</p>

Thanks Colin. You wouldn't happen to have pics, say from about 8 feet away so I can see placement? I've been trying to find some in the forum.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Following with Interest

I'll be doing this soon and plan on having it somewhere near the electrical inlet but lower on the frame between the bumper and the body. I located my electrical on the rear to the streetside of the rear compartment door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4664.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	123448  
Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
I'll be doing this soon and plan on having it somewhere near the electrical inlet but lower on the frame between the bumper and the body. I located my electrical on the rear to the streetside of the rear compartment door.
Oh, duh. I somehow had it in my head that I was going to mount this thing like the gas tank port in my truck. I guess the look of it had me thinking in that direction, as well as the water fill port on the side of the trailer.

Do all trailers have a fill port on the side for your to gravity fill your freshwater tank?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Which do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwok View Post
Oh, duh. I somehow had it in my head that I was going to mount this thing like the gas tank port in my truck. I guess the look of it had me thinking in that direction, as well as the water fill port on the side of the trailer.

Do all trailers have a fill port on the side for your to gravity fill your freshwater tank?
Don't know about all trailers but my tank fill is up front where my water tank is and would expect most of them to be located very near and above the tank, since they rely on gravity to fill the tank. So are you asking about the city water hookup for a water hose or just the filler 'port' ? Here's a pic of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4501.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	123457  
Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
City hookup

I'd like to get an idea of a good location for the city hookup. In my area, we have a HUGE problem with black widow spiders. In the last 2 years, I have killed about 10 in my garage, and several outside. Reaching up under the bumper in a closed box bothers me. I feel like I would have to pack my elbow length beekeepers gloves just to feel safe. We allowed the 5 chickens we have to roam free in the back yard to hopefully help with the spiders, so now we have to make sure the boys wipe their feet really good when they come into the house.

I'm really looking for a good placement of both water and electric that doesn't have me reaching down underneath. It seems that it would be easy enough for me to waterproof the connections in the rear streetside, but I don't know if that's a good location for campgrounds - if there are standard locations, etc.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #13
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
You will find that most campgrounds with hookups for water will place the hookup on the streetside towards the rear of the parking pad. Usually, but not always, it's forward of the electrical hookup.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:43 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings Rob!

Quote:
I'd like to get an idea of a good location for the city hookup. In my area, we have a HUGE problem with black widow spiders. In the last 2 years, I have killed about 10 in my garage, and several outside. Reaching up under the bumper in a closed box bothers me.
Brown recluse spiders worry me more than the black widow as their bite tends to be somewhat more reactive than the black widow -- but I wouldn't want to encourage either to co-exist in an Airstream with my family. One way of dealing with "blind-box areas" is to keep a can of "canned air" (used in the repair of computers) on-hand -- spray it in the cavity before entering and the creepy crawlers will usually happily vacate the area.

The typical mounting for the city water supply on Airstreams is on the exterior surface of the streetside rear bumper frame member. I thought that I had a photo of the location on my Minuet, but haven't been able to locate that particular folder of photos. The location, unless placement differed according to plant of production, should not be within an enclosure. The fitting is usually quite accessible if a little low.

The original electrical, on the other hand, does require reaching into a compartment that is both wasp, mud daubber and spider friendly. The Marinco electric entrance as pictured in Silverhoot's post solves that problem -- and the Marinco in his photo, I susped, is much less likely to suffer leak problems from use than the earlier model that I have on my coach that features more plastic.

Quote:
I'm really looking for a good placement of both water and electric that doesn't have me reaching down underneath. It seems that it would be easy enough for me to waterproof the connections in the rear streetside, but I don't know if that's a good location for campgrounds - if there are standard locations, etc.
As others have noted, shore utilities are typically located in the streetside rear of the coach. The onboard demand water tank fill, on the other hand, is far from standardized. The most likely location is on the streetside toward the rear - - but it is far from standard as the fill port is typically less than 3 feet from the tank to provide as short and straight of a path for the fill tube as possible. Many Vintage Airstreams have the demand water tank fill port located on the front of the coach behind the LP tanks as the water tank is located below the front lounge in many floorplans. The "bunge" fill port as used on our '64 Overlanders wasn't used for very long so we have something of an unusual feature - - and given the way that it is built, I suspect that it should outlive our coaches -- something OEM factory fill on my Minuet wasn't able to come close to accomplishing.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water inlet