Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
PEX crimpers are there any good ones?

Well I have had my first experience with PEX. I bought one of those pocket crimper deals that you use with vise grips. I can tell you that this is not the way to go for a main tool. I would say it is good for occasional or emergency use but it is not practical for more than two or three crimps before your forearms are toast. It also takes repeated crimp tighten, crimp tighten cycles to get a good crimp. It might be good for tight spaces but it is not very easy to use even when you have plenty of room to work.

So does anyone have any experience with a better crimper that does not cost over $100 and will do multiple sizes like 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4"? I want something that crimps the copper rings not the stainless steel pinch clamps. I don't think that pinching on the sides is as good as a continous ring.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have one of those for tight spots and the big cable cutter type in 1/2 inch only from Home Depot for $49 I think. Since I have never had need for 3/8 or 3/4 I just stuck with the 1/2 inch. The pocket one will do bigger if I need it. These big ones work great and I have never had a leak, and your arms don't get tiered.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Viega

Even though it is much more than you want to spend I recommend Viega. I have this tool and use this system. "Spend the big bucks and do it right the first time" says Dennis.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I have a multi size PEX crimper from Home Depot, it is well made and works very well. As I recall it was about $90. It has a plastic case included which holds all the parts. I can't recall the name, and I am not home now to look, but I think it is the one sold at all the Home Depots.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Lowes has a tool that works with the stainless steel crimp rings for both 3/8 and 1/2 for about 40 bucks. Works fine. Not really a ratchet like they say but it does work well. Sometimes you have to look for them in the store, and not all stores have the same thing. I saw a longer one for about 100, but am happy with the short one. Stays in the trailer with a pack of rings. So far in 2 years I have not had a joint I made leak. I have done a couple over when it did not "feel" right. A good tip with pex is to buy the cutting tool also. A clean, straight cut is a big help in getting the joints assembled tightly. If the cut is an an angle or fuzzy it is hard to get and hold the tube all the way up in the fitting when crimping.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I got my 1/2" crimper at Menards. It's a long handle type. I think I paid $45 or $50. It works first time every time. Everything tested with no leaks at all. I did use sharkbite connectors where the space was tight.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Well I have had my first experience with PEX. I bought one of those pocket crimper deals that you use with vise grips. I can tell you that this is not the way to go for a main tool. I would say it is good for occasional or emergency use but it is not practical for more than two or three crimps before your forearms are toast.
Unless you do a lot of PEX work I wouldn't especially recommend investing $100+ in a PEX crimper.

I use one of the "pocket crimper deals"

The Pex Pocket Crimper- For permanent crimp connections with PEX tubing fittings

but like yourself, I quickly discovered a Vise Grip pliers was not the best way to squeeze it. I use a small machinist's vise like the one pictured and it gives me a perfect crimp every time. Not fast, but can be used in tight spaces and doesn't require heroic strength. . . just patience.
Attached Images

Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Yeah I used my big shop vise and it was still a PIA to use.

Perry
Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
Got the long handled crimper from HD, they work great. You can cheap some things on your build but good water tight connections are worth their weight in gold...esp once every thing is back together. Spend the extra moola a good set. I know money wise they ain't cheap but neither is the hassle of a re-tear down...
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Springfield , Illinois
Look at the crimpers made by Sioux Chief and sold at Menards. Have used the crimpers in over 100 homes and finally wore one out. Crimps 1/2 and 3/4 and never had a leak.
Riverrat6270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Have you thought about the tool rental places? Even the Home Depot in our area rents the Professional crimper at a very low daily rate.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Not sure why people freak out at paying 50-100 for a tool that does good work and will last a long time and actully makes plumbing closer to fun. You could hire a Airstream tech that already has one and he will probably charge you 50-100 to get his out of his tool box and put it back in.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Not sure why people freak out at paying 50-100 for a tool that does good work and will last a long time and actully makes plumbing closer to fun. You could hire a Airstream tech that already has one and he will probably charge you 50-100 to get his out of his tool box and put it back in.
That is a fact. Buy the right tool for the job.
M2HB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I just bought a Shark Bite tool for like $60 at Home Depot and is appears to be well made. However, it won't compress the copper rings enough to fit the go gage that came with it. I increased the preload and it still won't compress the ring according to the gage. The gage might fit on the flattened edges where the part is in the tool jaws but it is iffy. So what is the problem here. Is there something wrong with the tool or what?

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Perry
Old 09-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am home now and just went to look at my PEX tool number. It is a Shark Bite 23100 from Home Depot. I have used it on two jobs now, one a re-plumb of a mobile home and the other the 22' Argosy copper replacement job. Both went well and were 100% leak free when I turned the water on.

Perry: Is this the tool you purchased at Home Depot? Mine had no problems and the go/no go gauge, while not fitting around every place on the crimp ring, did go around at least one location on each ring, which is what I think is the way it was meant to do.

I think you may be fine with yours if you can pass the gauge around the fitting in any location.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
If you are just making repairs why not use a Shark Bite? No tool required and really easy to use I have never had one leak and stick&brick code allows you to use them behind walls.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
I used the $26 pocket crimper, and my vise, which is mounted on a 4 legged stand. I did all the crimps making a manifold, one for hot, one for cold. I made them outside the AS, then after installed in the trailer, I made the final kitchen crimps, by bringing my vise into the trailer. All crimps tested good with the go/nogo guage first time, and no leaks.