Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Aaaw crap. Just looked at one of my sharkbite packages and it has a warning (this product causes cancer in the state of California...). Don't know if it's the plastic inside, possibly a little lead, ??? Off to Home Depot again. At least the brass fittings make a clean connection with the (potentially) cancer causing agent on the outside. Thanks for all the good comments. Lewster, I did look at that AquaPex. Seems good. Not big on sea tec, because plastic. I preferbrass for water fittings whenever possible.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #16

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnmhays View Post
...Thankfully, a residential job I did a couple of years ago paid for the crimping tool.
Ditto here. With the prices of copper pipe, tubing and fittings it didn't take long for me to justify spending $200 for a couple of good quality crimping tools.

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippie View Post
Just looked at one of my sharkbite packages and it has a warning (this product causes cancer in the state of California...).
Everything causes cancer in the state of California.

Another reason for you to be thankful you live in Texas!
Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I've been using the copper crimp rings on household plumbing for many years. I always keep a few of the Sharkbite fittings on hand for emergency repairs. I just replumbed my Airstream a few months ago using the copper crimps and brass fittings except for the connections to the faucets. I used Sharkbites on those to make them more easily repairable. In my opinion the crimps make a much cleaner install. A lot of Sharkbites looks bulky to me. Also, the number of Sharkbites I would have needed would have cost hundreds of dollars.

If using crimps, you've got to plan the crimping process very carefully. Build the system without crimps, then crimp chunks of it away from the tight spots whenever you can. It can be very challenging to get all of them done.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:47 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I have used the brass Sharkbites in two trailers with no problems. I have also used the plastic Sharkbites at my pool chlorinator(pump runs 24/7) also with no problems.

Given the concern about the o rings in the Sharkbites starting to leak over time, I would submit that over time the crimp rings COULD also loosen.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
I don't know why I am always the last person to leave Home Depot at closing. I decided to go PEX clamp. And for those who don't know-- there is crimp (coated copper) or clamp (stainless steel). Each requires a special connection tool. In my case, it was $50. I may still keep some sharkbites (push-on, not tool) on hand for quick repairs, too.

I have to say that what guided my decision was the carcinogen thing. I am really not so much concerned for myself, but I feel I need to do whatever I can to protect the health of my children. My guess the concern warning is from the plastic innerds of the sharkbite. I was really wanting to go with sharkbite push-ons all factors equal due to their ease of install (no tool) & reusability. I It would also be better for reconfigures down the road. I do wonder about the longetivity of the seal. I wonder if periodic removal and maintenance to these joints would prolong it.

But I would not be so quick to assume that they will fail quicker. There is more of the pex material here sandwiched between supporting material (plastic inside and brass outside). Also, it depends on the nature of pex. If it wants to expand over time, then maybe the Bite would be superior because it has more contact with the thick brass that would provide more resistance to this expansion. I wonder what would happen if the inside of the sandwich was brass instead of plastic.

I will also say that from viewing their website, Sharkbite does seem to be a quality company. I feel comfortable purchasing their brand. We'll see how happy I am after a few clamps... Thanks for all the responses.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
Everything causes cancer in the state of California.

Another reason for you to be thankful you live in Texas!

I would never buy the California ones.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
I have to say that what guided my decision was the carcinogen thing. I am really not so much concerned for myself, but I feel I need to do whatever I can to protect the health of my children.
If you and your kids are drinking the water out of the Airstream's tap, it's not the tiny bit of plastic in one or two fittings to wonder about, it is what was in the water source to begin with, and what was in the 40 odd miles or so of piping in the public water system, campground, freshwater tank, trailer plumbing system and, the previous camper's hands when he disconnected his slinky and water hose.

SharkBite is a good product. Better that they spend money on R&D than for California lawyers to put their product on the "OK" list.

Consider a reverse osmosis filter. No worries. Even takes out the nasty chemicals California municipalities add to their water.
Raleigh, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:54 AM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use sharkbite fittings for quick repairs or fittings that will have to come apart frequently. Crimps for everything else. I am in the process of replacing PBT in my third house this year. So I own the tools... all of them.

FWIW for an Airstream Pex is the way to go. My big house has copper, just replaced it about 10 years ago. The first round of copper lasted over 80 years, I expect the second to be there long after I am gone.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:28 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
Wayward
I don't plan on drinking water from tap. And I do worry about what's upstream. I buy reverse osmosis filtered water to drink. But you still breathe in water vapor from steam when taking a shower, a refreshing chlorine mist.
Being a responsible consumer to me means showing support with my dollar. So I don't pay for things that can be produced with better quality if there is a better or equal alternative. I do feel that Sharkbite makes the effort to put forth quality, which is why I still went with the brand, just not the push fittings. Honestly if push came to shove, I would not lie awake at night worrying over it if i had used them. And I may still need to. I did get the push on braided water heater lines.
I was never as picky about stuff like that before having kids. Then all of a sudden, my protector instincts went into overdrive. To me, I just consider the extra cost or effort to be like health insurance.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Wylie , Texas
I just contacted the Sharkbite US branch tech support with some questions. Here's some information I received. The warning label is required on push fittings due to their brass/lead ratio, even though they comply with Cali standards, the label is required to let you know it's there.

But the warranty info is interesting:
Crimp on: 1 year
Clamp on: 5 year
Push on: 25 yrs!
One of these things is not like the other. Wow. They really stand behind this product. And there is no recommended maintenance or preinstall procedure. It's almost a no brainer.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Over time, the sharkbite fittings are more prone to developing leaks. Problems are often at least partially installation related: tubing not cut square, scratches in the surface of tubing. I think it's impossible to say for sure how long the o-rings will last. I believe they're the same as or similar to the o-rings in ProPress copper fittingsm which are supposed to last a very long time. Hard to say though since historically there have been plumbing products like PB that developed leaks over the course of 10-20 years.

I would not use the plastic fittings because they will gradually become brittle over the years and may break with exposure to vibration.

Lewster is correct that the expansion-based systems (not only Wirsbo but Rehau and others are probably the best but the tools are prohibitively expensive.

I believe Rehau had a 50 year warranty for a while. Maybe they still do
Old 11-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
I just contacted the Sharkbite US branch tech support with some questions. Here's some information I received. The warning label is required on push fittings due to their brass/lead ratio, even though they comply with Cali standards, the label is required to let you know it's there. But the warranty info is interesting: Crimp on: 1 year Clamp on: 5 year Push on: 25 yrs! One of these things is not like the other. Wow. They really stand behind this product. And there is no recommended maintenance or preinstall procedure. It's almost a no brainer.
I used at least 15 of the push on Sharkbite fittings on an Avion I owned awhile back, very easy to use and had zero leaks on all my work. The $5 to $8 per fitting add up quick though. I just bought the crimping tool and I'll be trying out this system next.
Good luck with whichever way you go.
Mike
Old 11-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
I had a Shark Bite failure last week in my house. It was the plastic in an elbow (which I had installed about four years ago) on my hot water recirculating system. Both ends were connected to 1/2-inch copper pipes. Luckily I was home (although it was 2:00 a.m.) and heard the resulting spray and so averted a real mess, since this was in a second-floor laundry room. I called the Shark Bite people the next day and spoke with a technician who was surprised. He told me these fittings are made to last twenty-five years. That still doesn't seem like a long time, and I won't use them anywhere (in home or trailer) that isn't exposed. Mine might have failed due to its proximity to the hot water recirculating pump (about eight inches, and it was just outside the wall). Perhaps there was enough of a vibration to have disturbed the plastic. Needless to say, I replaced it with a soldered copper fitting. That said, I would have to think twice about using Shark Bites where there are constant vibrations from trailer traveling.