Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Parts for New Plumbing ?

I have found a company about 30 minutes from where I live who sells pex pipe and all other plumbing supplies. They are a whole sale plumbing house. I would like to know if anybody has kept documentation of all the pieces I will need to purchases for my 73 overlander. I am not familiar with the name of T's and valves. When I buy this pex plumbing material I want to buy it all at once. I will be plumbing the kitchen sink, bathtub, bathroom sink and a new hot water heater.

SIU Bound
Lothlorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I think if you drew yourself a diagram of your hoped-for plumbing system, you would soon see what you needed, and so would the guy over at the plumbing supply place. Make a drawing to scale, showing your pipe runs, fixtures, valves, drains, etc. Good luck, and have fun!
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

As mentioned above, you need a map. Of the several trailers I've done with PEX, the list varied but averaged 5 "t"s, 5 - 1/2" FPT X 3'8" PEX adapters (faucets, toilet), 2 - 1/2" X 3/8" PEX MPT adapters (W/H). 3 - 1/4 turn shut-off valves (be sure to pay attention to the arrow indicated flow direction!), 6 to 10 90 degree elbows, plus however you are connecting to your water pump. Usually turns out to be between $250 - $300 worth of stuff. Much easier to install if you the interior removed. If you're simply replacing the copper lines in your Overlander, the worst part will be getting the old stuff out. Of course, it helps if you're a contortionist putting the new in! Draw your map carefully before you start. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Additional thought - if you have a heat gun (hotter than a hair dryer) you can heat the tubing to form fairly short bends to save on elbows. This trick also reduces the potential leak spots. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Thanks for the info

You guys are so great!! I will make a list and pic up the material.

SIU Bound
Old 12-20-2007, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have all the plumbing out and cleared the way for new plumbing and a new hot water heater. I will do the plumbing as soon as I get the new floor in the bathroom. I have two weeks off for christmas and my goal is to work on the Overlander all vacation. I may have a couple of days off, because much needed rain is moving in. I do not have a garage and I have the trailer with a big cover over it.

SIU Bound
Old 12-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darol Ingalls
Additional thought - if you have a heat gun (hotter than a hair dryer) you can heat the tubing to form fairly short bends to save on elbows. This trick also reduces the potential leak spots. Darol
Darol, et al.......

Sea-Tech makes short radius 'elbow clips' that are about $2 that do the same thing....safely!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1960 22' Safari
Oceanside , California
Does it hurt the PEX pipe to heat and bend it?
pauly g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
PEX, or cross-link polyethylene, IIRC is rated for 150* water usage. Heating it 'may' damage the structure of the base material. This is why I use the tight radius clips when I have to make a close bend, or go with an elbow.

BTW, I use mostly Sea-Tech fittings now on all of my water projects. They work equally well with PEX, CPVC and copper, so adding them to just about any water system is a no brainer. A little on the expensive side....yes! but they snap on/off and DO NOT LEAK! The speed at which you can assemble a complete water system is nothing short of amazing!!
Old 12-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My trailer had the plumbing replaced with PEX by the PO. They used Flair-It fittings. They go together nicely and do not leak either, but a major pain to take apart. I needed to redo a section that was not correct and had to hair dry the PEX to get it apart.

One suggestion would be to use different color pipe for hot and cold.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
That's why Sea-Tech makes their Pex in red (for hot) and blue (for cold) .
Old 12-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
SIU, the shop manual has a diagram that shows all of the plumbing materials installed at the factory in case you need a roadmap. I happen to have a copy of that if you need it. PM me if interested.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
PEX, or cross-link polyethylene, IIRC is rated for 150* water usage. Heating it 'may' damage the structure of the base material. This is why I use the tight radius clips when I have to make a close bend, or go with an elbow.

BTW, I use mostly Sea-Tech fittings now on all of my water projects. They work equally well with PEX, CPVC and copper, so adding them to just about any water system is a no brainer. A little on the expensive side....yes! but they snap on/off and DO NOT LEAK! The speed at which you can assemble a complete water system is nothing short of amazing!!
Hey gang I am new to this hobby and looking at a 75 27ft overlander rear bath model to buy. Where do I buy the plumbing parts mentioned above? Is PEX the way to go these days with the Sea-Tech fittings. This trailer is gutted and will need it all and I want the best easiest most reliable way to go with the plumbing. I will need a water heater, everything- I live in Northern Nevada and dont really know where to start shopping. Is on line best or a plumbing house of parts, ect and what size PEX is best. I have never used it but have looked into it for radiant heating in ground for a new home some day--its the same tubing-right? any suggestion on where to start looking would be great. I also see a lot of fittings and tubing in red and blue on ebay?

LAWFISH
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hi Lawfish,

You can get most, if not all of your PEX needs right at the neighborhood Lowes. This way, if you run out of a fitting, you don't have to wait for e-Bay to ship it. They have red and blue coils of 1/2" PEX tubing and all of the Sea-Tech fittings you could want!
Old 02-25-2008, 05:37 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
Hi Lawfish,

You can get most, if not all of your PEX needs right at the neighborhood Lowes. This way, if you run out of a fitting, you don't have to wait for e-Bay to ship it. They have red and blue coils of 1/2" PEX tubing and all of the Sea-Tech fittings you could want!
Thanks a ton, I really appreciate it. I dont have a trailer but am thinking about this one. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ics-39945.html

Its not very expensive and it gives me some options but I first need to learn what things cost and where to get them. I appreciate the information.

Dave
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote